Quantcast

Aguacate...again

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Can't find the original post. Anywho - ages ago I posted a thing about growing your own Avacado tree/aguacate.

So, mine is starting to look more ... well it looks like an alien species to tell you the truth. Take a look! This is like 3 months of growth...

Attachments

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Maybe I should be geeky and name it Unicorn or something...for the stiff fuzzy phallus looking thing growing outta the center.

The root is totally wacko..but cool - it's starting to split apart into multiple rootlings, but the main root is the long twisted thick thing.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Aren't you supposed to be able to do this with pineapples too? I've tried, but succeeding only in growing a hairy mold culture...

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
With a pineapple, you just cut the head off leaving about an inch to two inches of fruit and bury it. Leave the "leaves" above ground. Seriuosly, that's it.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Pineapples don't have a seed in the middle....not exactly sure what you'd stick in water to make it grow? Or are you thinking of soaking the whole thing?

The grow-your-own site I read said you could do it with lemon/lime seeds...but I think that's just a wee bit too challenging. I'd rather just buy one of those miniature lemon/lime tree plants. I bet you could do it with a peach though...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Pineapples don't have a seed in the middle....not exactly sure what you'd stick in water to make it grow? Or are you thinking of soaking the whole thing?
You cut the prickly top off, (eat the good part of course) but leave about 1/2" of the fruity part at the top, then do the tooth pick thing. It is supposed to root. I have a friend that did it and it grew into a big prickly house plant. I tried and got nothing but mold.

When I was in grade school I grew a grapefruit tree from seeds. It never bore fruit though but it did make a nice looking plant. I think it was about 5 feet tall before we accidently killed it by leaving it out too long in the fall.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
darn - I hit backspace...drat it.

Anywho - that's really cool - I may have to try that next. Aguacate they say requires at least two plants in order to bear fruit - has to cross polinate. I've got three little bulbs stewing. Only one has split and taken root yet...but the other two got a much later start and looks like they're starting to finally poop themselves.

Once the root gets going, the thing really starts to change daily. My crazy spike is about 4" tall now, and growing daily. And the root has split in to several offshoots.

The website I read said not to plant in dirt until you've had it reach 6", trimmed it back to force it to get several branches and it reaches 6" a second time.

These things seem to be very tricky to grow...I wonder how they evolved to survive in nature. I'm rather thinking I should eventually just start filling my vase with the kind of dirt they had in Mexico (kind of rocky sandy with a bit of clayey dirt at the bottom).