Quantcast

Alex Supra E Questions

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
here and there, sometimes
A buddy of mine hooked me up with a wheel he got at his work (K2). The rim on it is an Alex Supra E. My question is why does it say that it is double wall on the rim but triple wall on the website? Did they used to be double and now they are triple?

Also, are chrome rims supposed to be the best for braking?

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
I believe they've had the same rim design for the Supra E for a long time, and that it just has a lot of internal cavities. Beefy rim!

As far as chrome for braking, nobody can decide around here. BMX brakes are usually horrible compared to MTB brakes, so I can't see chrome making them any better.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
you can go to http://www.danscomp.com and look at the rim in question. search under Parts/Rims.

if the sticker says double walled I would guess that's what it is.

as for chrome rims being better for braking, the answer for many years has been "YES"

brakes are all about friction between the pad and the rim. chrome is a smoother surface and allows the pad to create more friction, in theory...

todays brakes such as V and disk work so much better than brakes of yesterday that people who are used to those have a hard time adjusting to the 990's.

especially if your running a gryo. those things rob power big time if not set up properly.

Your 990's will NEVER work like your mountain bike brakes but you can get them to lock up with a little bit of love.

please read this http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36463 to see how to set up your gyro/990's corrrectly.

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
here and there, sometimes
i read that. They work alright. I really don't care too much. I was more concerned with the double/triple issue. I was confused, still am. Either way, it was a free wheel, minus an axle.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
yea, that's strange about the wheel. it's not uncommon for companys to print one thing, then selll another because when you buy your parts by the thousands, things change.
(you place an order for 5000 wheel sets but all they have are the double wall rims or whatever....)

but I tried to find the rim you mentioned (double wall) and could only find triple walled via a web search...?:confused:

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
I reckon thats the same rim I've got on the back of my BMX. Killer rim, tough as nails.

I don't really care if the chrome brakes better, with 990s, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the chrome looks sweet.

Can't argue with sweet.