Quantcast

Alexis´ s-video misadventures..

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i tried to connect an ati 9250 video card to a tv thru s-video.

the jack on the card is a 7 pin, the input on the tv a regular 4 pin.

went to radioshack to get a 7pin to 4 pin svideo cable.. but they didnt have them. they just had the regular 4pin to 4pin cable ($25 for 6ft!). i asked if it would work, they said "i dont think so". i dont want to spend $25 just to find out either.

then i spent half an afternoon looking for said cable, went downtown (40 minutes hellish drive each way) and after going from store to store for a good hour, found a 7pin to 4 pin plus rca in a dodgy place for 6 bucks. i bought it.
came back home, plug it in. the 4pin svideo end didnt work, but the rca worked fine. picture quality wasnt very good, but at least it worked.

i can also get the image on the tv thru a svideo to rca adapter that came with the card. that means the software is configured right, and there is a signal coming out of the svideo jack on the video card.

pulled out my multimeter to test the cable for continuity... and this is the pinout i figured on my 7pin to 4 pin cable (facing the male ends)

is that supposed to be right?

anybody knows if a 7pin to 4pin is directly compatible (without any resistor, capacitor or adapter in between)???
what would be the pinout???

if i buy the regular 4pin to 4pin svideo cable... would it work????
if not, i´d rather make my own cable (already got the 7pin and 4 pin jack from the 6 bucks cable), than to go downtown and spent an afternoon in that hell.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
oh yeah, i was also looking on the internet... and i saw some comentary about the non-standard 7pin s-video containing composite video signal??? is that true??
i couldnt find any more informationon that, so i think it might be wrong...
if its not.. anybody knows anything about that?