Quantcast

Alibayexpress parts you love

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They that bad?
I got some Ergon GE1 grips for Christmas last year, but my girlfriend didn't realize they were the slim versions. Turns out they work pretty well and feel good enough to not change them. Expensive though.

That was after running thick Diety Knuckleduster or whatever grips.

I mean grips are such a personal choice, we shouldn't read too much into what others say about them. Other than their wear characteristics or if they are slippery. For example OneUp grips, they felt ok, but wore out way too fast.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are the grips Ergon copies? How do you like them?
Honestly I just got them and installed them so people could dunk on me in the criticism thread. At a glance, they are both good and bad, the grip is soft and comfortable with a little bit of wrist support but not the wings that OG ergons provide. The big negative is that there is no internal endcap, so you can push the grip deep enough to push the bar through the end. They also do not have an internal taper like the ODIs do, so they may be more prone to rotation with effectively one clamp vs. two or one plus a taper. I'll report back after a couple of rides. I may try and find a bar plug to stick underneath or another clamp to just jam on the end....first choice is to just ride and see what happens. If all else fails, they were $2.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Weird conversation. I have chronic wrist pain that has kept me off the bike for years. I'm able to ride road bikes all day but flat bars cause pain pretty quick. I wanted to try the wingy grips to see if they help, and buying dorky shit off aliE is a great way of trying them out without spending $35 on ergons. I had a set of GA1 (I think) that I absolutely hated. Rock hard with just a tiny bit of tackiness. These may or may not work- they are very gummy but there's a little throttle action on the non-clamp side of the grip. It may not be a problem or it may be resolved with a spare clamp on that side, we will see. As of now they're probably a "do not buy" recommendation.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Cheers for the replies. Yeah, personal choice. Had some Sunlines years ago probably were a bit too thick. Hoarded a few sets of Shimano single-clamp ones that cost about 15 in US dollars if I recall and still have a set on my bike.

Back on topic, friend of mine liked the Brendog deathgrip replicas he got off Lazada/Shopee which likely came from the same vendors selling on AliExpress. I have run the One-Up nylon pedal copies for a couple of years. Wide and very grippy but tend to creak. Lazada/Shopee really took off when they started to offer the cash-on-delivery option since many Filipinos still probably dont have or don't like paying with credit cards.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They that bad?
I have the GA2 Fat and the GE1 Evo, I was hoping the GA2 would be a soft grip being a fatty but they were really firm, the GE1 is firmer and they don't last long becasue all the stupid little lines in the design start tearing off.

I like my Supracush grips, they don't last long but they grip fine in the wet with no silly thin little lines like the Ergons have.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Haha. ZTTO sell affordable headsets and dropper post levers as I recall (and a lot of other stuff). Gets more people out on the road or trails. Saw whole families or groups of women riding during the pandemic. Not so much nowadays.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
The ztto dropper lever is ok. It’s loose and rattly but the actuation is much nicer than the lever that comes with brand-x droppers.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I bought some Ridenow TPU fat bike tubes, but they haven't arrived yet. Will report to see if they hold up. Replacing the 570g stock tubes by those (108g) should make a significant difference, as long as they are durable.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I bought some Ridenow TPU fat bike tubes, but they haven't arrived yet. Will report to see if they hold up. Replacing the 570g stock tubes by those (108g) should make a significant difference, as long as they are durable.
I used a previous iteration/brand (FOSS branded) of those TPU tubes before going tubeless a long time ago. Unless you inflate them outside the tire, they hold up pretty well, are easy to patch even with cigarette lighter, and resist pinch flats a lot better than regular rubber/butyl tubes.

But as I said, the minute you inflate them outside the tire, they stretch and never recover their initial diameter.

Last edited:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I've got a Tubolito TPU tube in the front wheel on my Meta since 2020 (E13 trail casing tire for 2 years, and enduro casing Kryptotal after) and it's been solid, but expensive (like 45$cdn). The Ridenow on Aliexpress were 18$ each so I got 3 just in case one fails. If they hold up I'll be pretty happy of that find. I remember reading on another forum that they were reliable, but I can't find it anymore.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How much were they? Keep us posted.

Is that 462g per wheel or in total? If per wheel, thats insane.

I assume this on the Kirkland Signature™ bike?

$18, yes I can read. :busted:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yes that's the Signature Garneau red fatbike! The stock tubes were 558g per tube. That's insane. So 900g saved for both wheels if the Ridenow tube are really 108g. I don't even mind if they end up being 208g :D
Edit : those ones exactly : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006435490554.html
It was my first Alexpress buy ever so the first one was 14$ (shipped of course!) :brows:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
900 grams is crazy, hopefully this works out. That's some significant weight savings without any real downside.

And I mean I've had tubes in my fat bikes since forever, same with my buddies. None of us have ever got a flat. It's not rocky here and the roots get covered quickly.

The only one who has tire trouble, is the dude who had the lightweight carbon fat bike and ran tubeless. He couldn't get the tires beaded and ended up just going back to tubes.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
The tpu tubes are also supposed to have less friction than normal ones too so less rolling resistance.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a $3 tpu tube in my emergency kit on my TT bike. Haven't had to use it, and god knows if I can even get the tire off, but all it needs to do is get me back to the start.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Yes that's the Signature Garneau red fatbike! The stock tubes were 558g per tube. That's insane. So 900g saved for both wheels if the Ridenow tube are really 108g. I don't even mind if they end up being 208g :D
Edit : those ones exactly : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006435490554.html
It was my first Alexpress buy ever so the first one was 14$ (shipped of course!) :brows:
Hope the Ridenow TPU tubes are good . I put Ridenow and ZTTO TPU mtb tubes in my Lazada cart (likely same sellers as Aliexpress) after seeing this thread. About $5 and $6 respectively. Plus 1 something to 2 something dollars for shipping.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Chainstay guard- 10/10. My bike is silent. Seems to have stuck on pretty good. Cost like $3.

5/10 Riderace grips. These are comfortable and provide good control, but there does seem to be a bit of throttling. Will report more when I have thinner gloves on. These weren't bad for $1.97, but will likely eventually be replaced or some external clamps will be thrown on the end to see if I can stabilize them.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
The Ridenow TPU tubes work great. Maybe it's just the fat bike size (3.8-5.0"), but the valves (schrader) were a bitch to line up properly because the tube was twisting inside the tire and pulling the valve sideways. It might be worse since the fat rims are single-wall, so there is less length to hold the valve straight. It literally took me like half an hour per tube of faffing around, and I don't remember this happening with my smaller-size Tubolito. The valve takes a long time to let air out though, but at least they stayed inflated.

For 18$cdn instead of 50$ for the other "name brand" TPU tubes, I'm happy. They ended up weighting 110g each, which saved 930g over the standard fat tubes. That was quite noticeable.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yo
The Ridenow TPU tubes work great. Maybe it's just the fat bike size (3.8-5.0"), but the valves (schrader) were a bitch to line up properly because the tube was twisting inside the tire and pulling the valve sideways. It might be worse since the fat rims are single-wall, so there is less length to hold the valve straight. It literally took me like half an hour per tube of faffing around, and I don't remember this happening with my smaller-size Tubolito. The valve takes a long time to let air out though, but at least they stayed inflated.

For 18$cdn instead of 50$ for the other "name brand" TPU tubes, I'm happy. They ended up weighting 110g each, which saved 930g over the standard fat tubes. That was quite noticeable.
Your red bike has Schrader valves?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yo
Your red bike has Schrader valves?
Originally no, but now, yes, I drilled the rims so that I could install those Ridenow tubes. I did not check what valve they were coming with and it happens that the ones I’ve got were Shrader.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyone bought a presta inflator for a compressor off Ali? Anyone recommend one? The Park INF-2 is $250 AUD which is ridiculous. The Prestaflator Mini would be ideal but they're still $70 AUD for some reason.

Don't need a built in gauge, just a Presta head for a compressor

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got some tpu tubes for the gravel bike. Will use them, if I get new tires.

Don't like that they have plastic valve tubes and the cores seem to be glued in. No nut to hold the tubes in place, either. These things were something like $10 shipped, so not a huge loss if they don't work well.

Are "name brand" tpu tubes like that as well?

Still waiting on the big boys for the fat bike. Even from aliexpress, those things aren't cheap.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Plenty AliXpress TPU tubes do have fully threaded metal valve stems with a retaining nut.
Just look closely at the pictures before you order next time.
eg.

Prices are always all over the place on EVERYTHING from there and the search function not being the greatest means it can often be a PITA to find exactly what you want at the best price.

Surprised you're not just running tubeless. I only carry TPU tubes as spares as they're super lightweight and take up so little space.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah I got fed up trying to search for ones that fit my use case, so just gave up and ordered these (during that recent sale event).

As for tubeless, meh. I treat this bike (Giant Revolt) like shit and I'm fine with it. The only maintenance I've done to it is replace the chain once. Don't need another thing to worry about. Have also never flatted, so never taken the tires off. Who knows, maybe they are tubeless! This thing is lucky if it sees a hose twice a year.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Editted my first reply to Link the ones I have for you incase you missed it

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its aviation aluminum though!

They'll probably be fine for some bumbling around on bike paths. But they must be cast. I mean look at the uneven spacing between the holes. Did they eyeball?

1712350923311.png