Quantcast

All aboard the gravy train

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
There is not enough Gravy in the world today. Surely that is a sign of the apocalypse? Used to be you could go to any diner and get a Turkey and gravy sandwich, or maybe even a Roast beef and gravy sandwich. WTF happened to us? I rarely make gravy as most folks can do it better then me.... I am OK with that. Can we progress as a Society without Gravy?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I forget where, but I recently saw pouting being offered with fucking salmon in it.
That is taking it too far, imo.
You make it with Cream Sauce and it is effing delicious. Pearl onions and shredded carrots. I had it at Seoul Food in Toronto.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Poutine can be good. However just about everybody everywhere fucks it up.

It is really very simple, but you must use the BEST ingredients and proper technique as anything other will make it into roadhouse glop.

1. Proper russet potatoes cut regular style but thicker, but not wedge or homestyle.
2. Make proper fries, this means a good blanch followed by a full cool down before frying in small batches.
3. Fresh cheese curds. If they don't squeak when you bite into them, don't bother. Never shredded or processed cheese.
4. Real fresh gravy started with fresh roast beef drippings, preferably made in the roast pan. No powdered, or caned imitations.

Remember the curds and gravy are an accompaniment to the fries, don't be stingy, but don't drown them either.

ps - don't salt the fries, there is enough salt in the curds and gravy already.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Poutine can be good. However just about everybody everywhere fucks it up.

It is really very simple, but you must use the BEST ingredients and proper technique as anything other will make it into roadhouse glop.

1. Proper russet potatoes cut regular style but thicker, but not wedge or homestyle.
2. Make proper fries, this means a good blanch followed by a full cool down before frying in small batches.
3. Fresh cheese curds. If they don't squeak when you bite into them, don't bother. Never shredded or processed cheese.
4. Real fresh gravy started with fresh roast beef drippings, preferably made in the roast pan. No powdered, or caned imitations.

Remember the curds and gravy are an accompaniment to the fries, don't be stingy, but don't drown them either.

ps - don't salt the fries, there is enough salt in the curds and gravy already.
Using Duck fat and rendered Beef fat as the cooking medium will give better results (375 @ 12 minutes). Also cheap ass white Potatoes from Maine or Southern Quebec work better. They seem to produce the proper crisp without repeated fryings... Saute some white mushrooms and then finely chop them and add to the Gravy for richness... Finish with parsley and chives. Trust me on this...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Using Duck fat and rendered Beef fat as the cooking medium will give better results (375 @ 12 minutes). Also cheap ass white Potatoes from Maine or Southern Quebec work better. They seem to produce the proper crisp without repeated fryings... Saute some white mushrooms and then finely chop them and add to the Gravy for richness... Finish with parsley and chives. Trust me on this...
I will go with what you say except for the potatoes.

When I worked at a Fish and Chip restaurant when in school, the owner tried a variety of potatoes and cooking methods.
The end result was russet and a full blanch and cool before small batch frying.
Trust me we all wished for an easy one step, as we got in raw potatoes, into the drum to peel, then hand press for the fries, double rinse, blanch and cool. Was a total pain in the ass, but the fries were to die for. Maybe new strains in the 35 years since that make that experiment a sign of the times?

Have never done the duck fat thing for fries. Interesting.
Mushrooms and me are friends, so I have no issue with this, as long as a fine dice.
Chives - a hint of fresh onion may be good - will have to try.
Parsley - well that is a given, you have to have something green to pick out of your teeth later, anything else would just not be proper. :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I will go with what you say except for the potatoes.

When I worked at a Fish and Chip restaurant when in school, the owner tried a variety of potatoes and cooking methods.
The end result was russet and a full blanch and cool before small batch frying.
Trust me we all wished for an easy one step, as we got in raw potatoes, into the drum to peel, then hand press for the fries, double rinse, blanch and cool. Was a total pain in the ass, but the fries were to die for. Maybe new strains in the 35 years since that make that experiment a sign of the times?

Have never done the duck fat thing for fries. Interesting.
Mushrooms and me are friends, so I have no issue with this, as long as a fine dice.
Chives - a hint of fresh onion may be good - will have to try.
Parsley - well that is a given, you have to have something green to pick out of your teeth later, anything else would just not be proper. :D
4 to1 Beef fat to Duck fat. Put a cup of peanut oil to bring up the burn point... Works great for wings too....

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
4 to1 Beef fat to Duck fat. Put a cup of peanut oil to bring up the burn point... Works great for wings too....
That sounds like a good idea to add depth of flour without the hassle for home use.
Better than the old cycle method of when changing oil - keeping a quarter of the old fat and adding new.
That works for a bit, but I find it takes on a hint of rancid after a few changes. Seems to work better in a commercial setting, not so much for home.

Cheers!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
That sounds like a good idea to add depth of flour without the hassle for home use.
Better than the old cycle method of when changing oil - keeping a quarter of the old fat and adding new.
That works for a bit, but I find it takes on a hint of rancid after a few changes. Seems to work better in a commercial setting, not so much for home.

Cheers!
1 use only... As soon as it gets cold and separates. The burnt aspect takes over and spoils the fat..