Quantcast

All Mountain bike

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
Hey guys, I'm a regular in the bmx section, or was, but i'm posting here for the first time.
I've been looking around to buy an am bike this coming spring/summer when I move back home from school. I live in southern ontario, so 6" of travel is plenty. I've been recommended a few bikes, such as an Enduro Comp, Stumpjumper FSR Evo, and I've been told that the Tomac Snyper is a very good choice, and the 140mm of travel is good enough. I'm looking to spend around $3500 Canadian when the time comes. A few people have also recommended the Opus Clutch. I'm just wondering if there are any other bikes I should look into during my time of research. These are the bikes I've been told to consider:
Yeti SB-66/575
Opus Clutch
Pivot Mach 5/5.7
SC Butcher/Nickel
Spec SJFSR/Enduro
Tomac Snyper/Vanish
Giant Reign
Commencal Meta AM
Fezzari Nebo Peak

That said, a few of those bikes are out of my price range. Right now I'm just looking to pick up a complete, as it will be my first full suspension bike. It seems that 5.5" is the magic number in terms of travel. I would consider building one up, but most of the parts would end up being used, where as a complete would be brand new.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The Xprezo SuperD should be on your list as well. It's quite a nice AM bike...and made in Canada. It may be a little bit over your budget though.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I'd get the specialized or the giant. You'll get the most for your money.

A complete will work 10x better than a nice frame with a mixed bag of used parts.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I agree with Mulestar, and be honest about what you have and the kind of deals you can get when adding up prices. Things like forks, cranks and wheels add up reaaaally fast for a mountain bike.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Bang for buck Giant will crush any manufacturer in the market. they blow Spec away easily when you factor in name brand parts vs. house brand. If I wasn't a yeti whore I'd be on a Giant today.