Quantcast

Alpine touring skis

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
anyway, if Jm_ and kidwoo are done comparing snow stake girth thoughts on skins? saw a thread via googling where people liked the Pomoca Climb Pro S-Glide. sounds like a condom.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You know if I get out in there I'll be digging holes to check layers and going full nerd on it, not winging it because of a sense of invincibility.

(But what I really foresee myself doing is in-bounds slogs across the Cirque or just to kill half the day while Shared Skittles skis Iron Horse talks about skiing Iron Horse. :D)

With most things I am rather happy to do mY OwN rEsUrcH and rely on myself, that ain't of them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
After some more rabbit hole diving re Tecton, Shift, and Duke PT threads I’ve come to the ultimate conclusion that @SkaredShtles is right. I should not introduce additional complexity into my already complex life, and should just suck it up in the lift lines (probably not with Iron Horse with the wife, though).

Emailed powder7 to cancel that demo Mindbender order and shall live with my current old alpine shells with their new liner (and my lovely high elasticity Pivots on Mindbender alpine setup).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
he had skied it before with those conditions and it didn't slide.

*facepalm*

After some more rabbit hole diving re Tecton, Shift, and Duke PT threads I’ve come to the ultimate conclusion that @SkaredShtles is right. I should not introduce additional complexity into my already complex life, and should just suck it up in the lift lines (probably not with Iron Horse with the wife, though).

Emailed powder7 to cancel that demo Mindbender order and shall live with my current old alpine shells with their new liner (and my lovely high elasticity Pivots on Mindbender alpine setup).
JFC

See ya back in this thread monday after you try to go skiing at winter park on this three day weekend!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Why not? Easy access to MJ/Arrow/Rainbow Cut - slightly less easy access to Sleeper if so inclined.
She doesn’t like MJ proper due to how the lighting is, and because it gets groomed less regularly. Portions of it (mainly the upper part actually, as from Olympia) are too steep for her comfort as well. She skis it but complains.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
JFC

See ya back in this thread monday after you try to go skiing at winter park on this three day weekend!
heh

This and Christmas are weeks Devo has scheduled off. (same with Baby Aya’s multi week lessons.) They anticipate the crazy and I left the house available to be booked. Which it is, but I just hope the sparrow bugs are eradicated… the house is a headache sometimes: have pity for me

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You could ski Granby when it's busy at WP, probably a lot closer to the Mountain Haus :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You could ski Granby when it's busy at WP, probably a lot closer to the Mountain Haus :D
We are about equidistant. But the kids have WP programs all season long so must be there. With everyone else.

DA35A9FF-2464-40BF-8EBC-BBF5C74A141E.jpeg

434C5E67-00E5-4E39-A671-F6B4BFD608C6.jpeg

I’ve timed it at 14 min to WPR but that’s with summer (lack of) traffic. 19 in winter is fair.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
She doesn’t like MJ proper due to how the lighting is, and because it gets groomed less regularly. Portions of it (mainly the upper part actually, as from Olympia) are too steep for her comfort as well. She skis it but complains.
I see.

Well, learn to embrace the crowds, then. :D

<snip> Which it is, but I just hope the sparrow bugs are eradicated… the house is a headache sometimes: have pity for me
Talk about "heh." :D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

Since you're original intention was just to skin around the ski area, seriously any old frame binding setup will do that for really cheap and work with your existing boots. Keep an eye on CL or FB marketplace for someone offloading their entire setup including skins, and snap something up for like $200-300. Then skin around the ski area if the lift lines suck, and if you end up actually enjoying it you can revisit getting all the gear.

https://rockies.craigslist.org/spo/d/leadville-backcountry-at-skis-package/7579898852.html (then sell the boots off!)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
unless they are another name for that tracked self-assist tank think do not want

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
sweet baby jeebus that is terrifying

The view from the filmer is something ...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The view from the filmer is something ...

Yeah, I watched that on the embed at the link. When he gets slammed into that rock…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
After some more rabbit hole diving re Tecton, Shift, and Duke PT threads I’ve come to the ultimate conclusion that @SkaredShtles is right. I should not introduce additional complexity into my already complex life
Keep an eye on CL or FB marketplace for someone offloading their entire setup including skins, and snap something up for like $200-300. Then skin around the ski area if the lift lines suck, and if you end up actually enjoying it you can revisit getting all the gear.
If you like the Mindbender, look at the Wayback. Lugging weight uphill is noticeable.
Since browsing for shit is fun on Powder7, some of the more interesting demo packages they have for sale at the moment, filtered down by ~173-184ish length constraints and having Tectons, Shifts, or Duke PTs:

K2 Dispatch 110 with Duke PTs:

K2 Dispatch 101 with Duke PTs:

Armada Locator 112 with Shifts:

Armada Locator 104 with Shifts:

Armada ARW 106 UL with Shifts:

Scott SuperGuide 95 with Tectons:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
K2 Dispatch 110

Blister's review isn't up.

< 1800g and Titanal and a ton of tip rocker and a slot for the skins! But not much sidecut at all they also sound fairly miserable on firm snow, and an odd powder ski that can charge. But can't carve. Kinda makes sense in the sense of something substantially different than my alpine Mindbender 108 Ti setup, but kinda doesn't make sense at all.

The 101 sounds built much the same, but wouldn't have the "pick me for powder days inbounds" aspect so makes even a lesser amount of sense.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Armada Locator 112
No Blister review.

The Ski Essentials reviews tend to be overly positive/industry favorable for everything, I've found. But the one dude who got time on them liked them. 1500g at 180 cm! Definitely need a Blister take on whether they're quaky shaky and scary at speed.

The 104s are even lighter, 1425g. Not sure how physics would allow these to be anything but squirrelly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Armada ARW 106 UL
A Blister review!

Apparently these are a women's specific one. But they go long and are a bit over 1800g so I don't get this branding.

Sounds like it's about the polar opposite of the K2 Dispatch line fwiw:

it’s not a great option for a directional skier who tends to gravitate toward damp and hard-charging skis. However, for someone who wants a forgiving, playful, and well-rounded ski that handles a variety of conditions and terrain pretty well, the ARW 106 UL is an excellent choice.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Scott SuperGuide 95
There's mention of this in a Blister podcast but ain't nobody got time for that

< 1500g and 21m sidecut. Apparently quite stiff despite that weight? Oddly positive but nonspecific reviews given physics is physics and all:

At our Aspen Highlands, slope-side shop, we get a lot of really strong resort skiers coming in for their first uphill set-ups. Many of these skiers want and expect their new lightweight alpine touring ski to rip as fast and as confidently as their much heavier downhill alpine boards. For many years we have confidently matched these skiers with the Superguide 95 for its strong, powerful downhill ride.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Blister's review isn't up.

< 1800g and Titanal and a ton of tip rocker and a slot for the skins! But not much sidecut at all they also sound fairly miserable on firm snow, and an odd powder ski that can charge. But can't carve. Kinda makes sense in the sense of something substantially different than my alpine Mindbender 108 Ti setup, but kinda doesn't make sense at all.

The 101 sounds built much the same, but wouldn't have the "pick me for powder days inbounds" aspect so makes even a lesser amount of sense.

IME, you want around 100 waist. As you go up significantly from there, you are more on a "helo drop me off in bottomless-powder ski" and I have some boards set up for that, but they are not good to tour with.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IME, you want around 100 waist. As you go up significantly from there, you are more on a "helo drop me off in bottomless-powder ski" and I have some boards set up for that, but they are not good to tour with.
Is this because of weight, tracking when skinning up, their skiing characteristics on the way down?

In this still 99% theoretical exercise, I kinda like the concept of the Dispatch 110 as a complement to my alpine Mindbender 108 Tis, as I might pick them up off the rack for an in-bounds day if 8"+.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Is this because of weight, tracking when skinning up, their skiing characteristics on the way down?

In this still 99% theoretical exercise, I kinda like the concept of the Dispatch 110 as a complement to my alpine Mindbender 108 Tis, as I might pick them up off the rack for an in-bounds day if 8"+.
Those are fine. I used to hike with skis way wider than that and still own a pair that's 112. It's smidgen easier to edge in on icy sidehills with narrower skis but remember: buy the ski you want to ski

Every time somebody wants to pretend there's some maximum width for a hiking ski they seem to magically forget how wide split boards are.

That's like listening to idiots in the 90s talking about how you want the smallest lightest mountainbike possible because you spend more time climbing. Hiking is for the skiing, the skiing isn't for the hiking.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

8"+ is nothing for modern AT skis. As in they make it ridiculously easy to ski. You just don't need crazy width, reserve that for helo operations or the rare day where there's tons of pow at the resort and it won't get skied out in 5 min. The modern AT skis are like 98% of the floatation/turning in pow. I had these concerns too at first, but I downsized, and I'm often on terrain where there's no "groomed slope" anywhere. It's really because of all of what you said.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Every time somebody wants to pretend there's some maximum width for a hiking ski they seem to magically forget how wide split boards are.
Um...yeah, and they are a lot shorter...which would more than offset any additional width (swinging around turns, etc.). Not the same thing.

More width can be harder to deal with on some steeper climbs, you are constantly stepping on your other ski, but a few mm isn't going to be a big effect here. It's more that there's little to nothing to be gained by 10mm more width and only disadvantages IME. It's not a huge difference, but my advice is just don't go thinking you "need" 110 or 120 because you think you "need" more float. The modern 100s are absolutely amazing to turn and they float great.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Um...yeah, and they are a lot shorter...
188 for a 5'8" skier but sure whatever you say :rofl:

Dude, the fat skis must be shorter to turn is 1998 traditional rocker and sidecut shit. Like you've addressed, shapes are better. Yeah more rockered skinnier skis work better these days but surface area is surface area. No shape is going to ever completely compensate for that.

More rockered skis make skiing FATTER skis more versatile too.

I literally designed a narrower ski that was based on by big fat powder skis specifically to make something easier to hike with. The result was a good bc ski on settled pow but yes, flotation suffered quite a bit.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No, its the AT skis must not be too long for uphill kick turns and general maneuvering. My pow boards are a little longer since I don’t have to do any of that shit, but my AT is 185 at 5’11” and i def dont want longer.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No, its the AT skis must not be too long for uphill kick turns and general maneuvering. My pow boards are a little longer since I don’t have to do any of that shit, but my AT is 185 at 5’11” and i def dont want longer.
technique!

I've hiked on 185-190ish skis of all widths for almost 25 years. It's fine.

If you want a shorter ski for kick turns (more understandable) then that's even more of a case for going wider.

Hiking on 110mm waisted skis is fine. It's almost no different that hiking on 95mm wide.

The most annoying thing to me about hiking on really wide skis is just carrying snow on them.

Last edited: