Quantcast

Alt messenger bag suggestions

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm looking for a new messenger bag.

I have a medium Timbuk2, but it's not quite big enough. I'd like something more comfortable if possible - the stiff strap on the Timbuk2 gets wearisome on the bike after maybe 30 minutes and fvcking annoying when stuck in an airport for hours and hours. (I fly dozens of time a year)

What I don't like:

Chrome - the metal buckles are retarded
Crumpler - to bulky, and the strap pad is completely lame

What I need:

Comfortable strap w/ padding
Minimum 17" width at the bottom of the bag. (drum sticks must fit along the bottom)
All black.
Lots of internal pockets

For flights, I'm kicking the idea around of just getting a cheap carry on size bit of luggage, and packing a smaller messenger bag inside for toting around at destinations. It'd be nice to just have one big comfortable bag though. (and simpler)

Suggestions?

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
If you spend alot of time with your bag I would honestly look at one of the messenger bags using two straps. My back has still to forgive me for all the time spent in a typical single shoulder messenger bag. I know your not keen on the Chromes but the design on their two-strap messanger bag is pretty good, and it has a nice layout. A tad spendy though.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'll second the Chrome's even though you arent' keen on the buckle. The buckle comes in handy for easy removal when your large bag is completely packed. I have had a large chrome bag for a few years now after my medium timbuk2 was stolen and couldn't be happier with the quality of the materials and the bag overall. It still looks brand new after being beat on for quite awhile now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I thought 2 straps = backpack. Or is it still considered a messenger bag if you are wearing manpris?

Guess I was wrong.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Chrome - the metal buckles are retarded
By "retarded" you mean...? Uncomfortable? Gaudy?

I agree that they're a little ridiculous looking. I do like having the release there for when I've got a heavy load in the bag or don't want to swing it over my head, though, so at least it's functional... and I haven't found it to be uncomfortable. The padded shoulder strap is awesome.

I've tossed around the idea of taking a piece of neoprene or something and just stitching it around the buckle so everything would still function but it'd be a little more understated, but really, I don't care that much.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
PAC Designs

http://www.pacdesigns.com/

I have one of their bags, very nice quality, super strong, good size. Mine is a medium, but can still hold quite a bit. It doesn't feel as "cheap" as my Chrome bag (which I also like a lot). Lots of features too, including this nifty "flap extender" that buckles onto the main flap and allows you to carry huge items while still keeping them covered.

The only downside, it can take awhile to get one, as they are in Canada. Nice people though.

Oh yeah...they are a bit pricey...

Last edited:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
you won't feel the metal buckle when wearing it. I agree with bv that when you have heavy stuff in your bag it's nice to not throw it over your head. chrome ftw

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A lighter, heavy duty side-release plastic buckle would work where they put this big metal 70's car seat buckle. It's stupid and unpractical.
That's fine, but it works well and doesn't really get in the way. Makes some noise if you whack it against something, which was my original consideration to cover it up. I don't tend to hit it against anything, though, so it really has been a non-issue.

Anyway, if ya' don't like it, ya' don't like it - just mentioning that the bag is extremely functional in spite of the buckle being metal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
aside from chrome, bailey or pac is where its at.

FWIW chrome also makes a nice selection of bags that are dual strap (backpack) style.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Just curious - but why not a backpack?
Messenger bags are better for airports and for riding. Easier to get to stuff without stopping.

Also better for camera access. I made a cool little padded insert for my DSLR, I'll post a pic of it later. Fits in any messenger bag and I can whip out the camera in seconds.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
NICE.

That's what I'm talking about.

Keep em comin.
I have a baileyworks bag, and it's pretty nice. durable, solid, but when it's full it fits kind of weird. it also has a waist strap to keep the bag from sliding around.

I've heard you can keep a 12pack with ice in it too, and it doesn't leak.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I looked at some of the newer Timbuk2 stuff at a store and the straps don't seem as brutally stiff as they used to, and the interiors are nicer. Turns out I get a deal through work. I ordered an XL for a catch-all bag and a XS for my camera. (I have a padded insert that I sewed for it).

Now I just need to do some drum case shopping...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the XL is big...i've got the older Guapo style.

the XS is a good compact camera bag...i used that until i started carting more lenses and a 2nd body, but you can fit a body and 2-3 lenses pretty easily (as long as they are not huge lenses).

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
"Alt messenger bags"

:rofl:

Don't "Alt" and "messenger bag" cancel each other out so you end up with leather samsonite briefcase?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I know these guys are passé, but I have had my Timbuk2 bag now for 10 years, still works fine.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
"Alt messenger bags"

:rofl:

Don't "Alt" and "messenger bag" cancel each other out so you end up with leather samsonite briefcase?
Short for "altruistic messenger bag". I want a bag that sacrifices itself for my benefit.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
the XL is big...i've got the older Guapo style.
I've had a medium for years, and it's just big enough to get me through a weekend tour.

The XL should pack up to be just pushing maximum carry-on size.

the XS is a good compact camera bag...i used that until i started carting more lenses and a 2nd body, but you can fit a body and 2-3 lenses pretty easily (as long as they are not huge lenses).
That's what I figured. I used a Lowepro bag on a trip and I hated it, I like how a messenger bag works better - dragging a medium bag around sucks though.

Kit is a D70s body, 18-70mm, 50mm, small strobe, trigger, charger, few other nick-nacks. I might also bring an umbrella/stand if it fits in the XL bag. (impromptu band portraits)

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I have a reload bag, super comfy, and the quality is nuts. All the bags they make are custom, they do what ever colors you want and will ad pockets if you want.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I used a Chrome Kremlin while messengering...much better than the Timbuk2 and Crumpler garbage the other couriers at my company were using. I'm not a fan of the seatbelt buckle's looks, but the plastic buckles of the Timbuk2s have a tendency to break. I didn't ever use it while working, though. Even with a massive load I'd swing it over my head out of habit.

If you want mine, I'll sell it cheap...it's big and black, just how you like them.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If you want mine, I'll sell it cheap...it's big and black, just how you like them.
I already order the Timbuk2, it was dirt cheap through work.

PM me a price anyway though.
:D

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
I have a Cocotte and love it. They're Canadian though. So buying one is an act of terrorism.

it's about 18 times more well thought out than the Timbuktu that I own. If I had money to spend I'd burn the big Timbuktu bag and buy a larger Cocotte to use for work.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
RELoad...

same price range as PAC, but their dimensions are different, with RELoad being more rectangular. both seem to be of equal quality and durability.

I've spent over $800 on 2 bags from them that were both custom. they do have some stock bags, though.