Quantcast

Alton Brown

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
My little bro slipped over to borders and sat in line to buy me Alton's new book and get it signed.

"I'm only here for more food" It is focused on baking and I have only perused it, but my initial impression is that it is as good a read as any novel and as educational as a scientific dissertation.

More to come after I try some recipes.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Yeah... I like Alton Brown.
Him and Bobby Flay.

I do NOT like Rachael Ray, Barefoot Contessa, or any of the "unwrapped" shows.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
bobby flay is OK, but he was *really* annoying when he was on iron chef, against morimoto. pompous ass was more like it.

alton brown is great. very good way of communicating.

has nigella lawson made it over here? she's big in the UK, and a decent looker too.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
barefoot cuntessa is far to much like martha. I don't mind rachel ray, she has small boobs and a bit of junk in the trunk and she smiles too much but she's ok.

any of the shows that they don't cook suck too.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
there is a show on the food network that I've caught a few times after work - a really pretty woman cooking mostly Italian dishes - she looks almost model-like. Something about a really beautiful looking woman cooking amazing dishes that makes the food look that much tastier! :)

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
My daughter and I made the potato rolls from the book this weekend and they were pretty good. The recipe makes dinner roll sizes, so for a few of them I doubled the dough ball and made a sandwich/burger sized roll.

note: 3 year olds prefer to play with one piece of dough than to actually make it into a roll and move on. The fun we had together was worth the sacrifice of one dinner roll.

alton brown :thumb:

rachel ray :stupid:

unwrapped - neat stuff - and it stars the former host of DOUBLE DARE!

I got this recipe from watching the calorie commando on a Song flight a few weeks agon. I got IAB to make them and they were mmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

Meatballs

2 large portobello mushrooms, coarsely chopped, stems included (about 1 1/4 cups)
1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
2 egg whites
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 pound lean ground turkey breast (with no skin)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 (14-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 (6-inch) submarine sandwich rolls

Preheat broiler.

In the bowl of a food processor, place the mushrooms, spinach, egg whites, 1/4 cup Parmesan, pepper, garlic, salt, Italian seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce. Pulse until well blended.
Transfer the mushroom mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the ground turkey. Using your hands, combine the whole mixture, being careful not to over-mix. Form turkey mixture into 8 equal-size meatballs.

Heat a nonstick 12-inch pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Drain any liquid in the pan and discard. Return meatballs to heat and add crushed tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook meatballs for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Split rolls in half lengthwise and remove bread from center of each side of the roll, being careful not to puncture the crust. Fill each half of the roll with 2 meatballs and 1/4 of the sauce. Place each half roll on a nonstick cookie sheet and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Place rolls under the broiler for about 1 minute or until cheese starts to melt. Serve immediately.

(we skipped the rolls)

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Good eats is a great show, I have gotten so many recipies from Alton. I also like the Naked Chef.