Quantcast

Aluminum or similar soft sockets

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Does anyone know a source for aluminum sockets or something similarly soft (maybe plastic?) for gently removing suspension parts without scarring them? Maybe there is a coating that I can put on a steel socket? Need to put a new TRC assembly on one of my Devilles and don't want to wreck it. It's too pretty...

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
If you have good quality six point chamferless chrome vanadium sockets you shouldn't have problems installing an assembly without damaging or marring anything.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I have a steel one that is ground down. Hopefully it'll get the job done. I've been googling like mad for an alternative and can't find one that's not in a size for Porsche lug bolts.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah single hex sockets, I've wound my Avy cart in and out a bunch of times and it still looks fine and the Anno is crap on that compared to a Bos part. If it's a loose fit throw some tape around the hex?

It's a bike part that gets used in the ****tiest conditions known to man who care what it looks like, it's how it works that matters.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
http://www.metrinch.tv/
Grab on the flats not corners, good for rounded nuts/bolts too.
we have some of these at home and are terrible. i think trying to combine metric and standard in one (non separated) wrench is a terrible idea.

anywho, i just go get the cheap sockets from autozone/reibes and grind them flat.. i then put electrical tape in them (it also helps take up the slack between the wrench flats and the socket). sometimes i even use a rag on top of that. as long as your pushing down the whole time, you should be good!

Last edited: