Quantcast

AM bike set up questions...

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
So,i've never owned an AM bike before and I've got some questions for all you reguarding suspension set up,mainly spring weight.
On my DH bike I run a 550 pound spring out back,which gets me about 25-ish% sag and up front in my 40 I have the yellow spring which also gets me about 25% sag...should I run these same spring weights on my AM bike,or go a bit stiffer? The bike and fork/shock in question are a 07 Santa Cruz Nomad with a DHX 5 coil,and an 07 Fox Van RC2.
Also,does anybody know what length shock is on an 07 Nomad? I don't have a tape handy and can't find much online.

Thanks!

So,i've never owned an AM bike before and I've got some questions for all you reguarding suspension set up,mainly spring weight.
On my DH bike I run a 550 pound spring out back,which gets me about 25-ish% sag and up front in my 40 I have the yellow spring which also gets me about 25% sag...should I run these same spring weights on my AM bike,or go a bit stiffer? The bike and fork/shock in question are a 07 Santa Cruz Nomad with a DHX 5 coil,and an 07 Fox Van RC2.
Also,does anybody know what length shock is on an 07 Nomad? I don't have a tape handy and can't find much online.

Thanks!
i usually run alittle more sag on my DH bike...about 30%. Whereas, my AM mountain bike, I run less...right at 25%. Partly because I'm dealing with less travel and because the trails i ride are typically less technical than the DH stuff.

I remember reading that for VPP bikes, you're supposed to run more sag than a non VPP bike, because of the suspension curve.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
I would run what ever SC have speced for that frame. Everything from how the suspension works to the geometry is optimized for a certain amount of sag..

From there I would set the forks to feel balanced with the back end in the attach position - use this as a bench mark and go from there..

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I would run what ever SC have speced for that frame. Everything from how the suspension works to the geometry is optimized for a certain amount of sag..

From there I would set the forks to feel balanced with the back end in the attach position - use this as a bench mark and go from there..
Yeap, I'd recommend doing that. My dw-link Mk3 feels like crap when I don't have the prescribed amount of sag(I've read reviews of people saying it pedals like crap, and well it does if you don't hit the sweet spot in the sag)

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks guys.
I'll check SC's website and see what they recomened for sag.I've owned a VPP bike before and I remember the sag was quite a bit,granted it was a first gen. V10.

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Santa Cruz claims a 550 spring should be about right.
Guess i'll just set it up like my DH bike.

lanceamatic

Chimp
Sep 1, 2009
Santa Cruz claims a 550 spring should be about right.
Guess i'll just set it up like my DH bike.
If i'm remembering correctly, some people have found the coil DHX needs about a 50lb less spring than SC recommends to get full travel.

check the SC forum over on MTBR and do some searches, there's been plenty of previous discussion about spring rates on nomads..