Quantcast

Am I getting scammed from a buyer!?

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I sold my 66 RC2X in perfect conditon and here's the exact email I get today from the buyer (names removed):

I spoke to Marzochhi yesterday to find out what I needed to replace the compression knob that you failed to tell me was missing. Since the part that the knob was attached to is broken off , that means the whole rc2 cartridge needs to be replaced for a cost of 170.00 ( but you probably already knew that ). Now I didn't see any parts rolling around in the box when I took the fork out, which leads me to believe that the fork was broken before you shipped to me. That pretty much makes you a douche bag. Unfortunately for me we made this deal outside of eBay, so it makes it a little more difficult to let people know that your shady.( I'm sure you knew that too). I can assure you that I will do the best I that I can to let as many people, on as many mountain bike sites, know what kind of a person you are to deal with.
If you decide to be a man, and take responsibility for this I'm willing to come to an agreeable arrangement, meaning you give me some money back so that that deal we made is a little more fair, let me know. Otherwise I will continue to assume you are a dickhead and let as many other people know that I can.

xxxx
And my reply:

Alright, now that I've had time to read your entire email I must say I'm disappointed. My first thought is that I'm not sure if I even believe you because A) I do not lie and my listing was accurate, B) Unless the package was fully mangled, I don't understand how that could break off. I packed it with 3 layers of thick bubble wrap over that knob AND put in an extra piece of cardboard over the end for stability and protection. And C) If you send out an email like this I must assume you're only about 15 years old, not willing to work with me (scammer?) and it makes me think twice about trying to fix the problem.

If the box was actually mangled and the piece in question did actually break off, I have the shipping slip with a declared value of $500 that I can send you. I also wouldn't mind seeing pictures of the box and fork if you feel up to it.
-xxxx

PS: don't call me a douchebag and expect any help.
Am I being scammed? I packed that thing WELL and nothing was damaged on shipment.

tolleyman

Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
I believe your response was very proffesional and will perhaps cause him to reconsider his actions. Luckily for both of you, it was insured. If he keeps the container or at least photos of the container you should be able to claim the full value.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
If he's talking about the low speed compression knob, I don't see how that could've broken off during shipping.

I've known of cases where the knobs have fallen off, during rides, forever lost. Case 1, me. Case 2, my roommate.

Certainly ask for pics of the broken area. IMO, all I smell is alot of bull**** from your buyer. If he can't give you any pics, I'd not bother about it anymore.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Jeez...and to think people thought I was almost paranoid about online buy/sell transactions. :rolleyes: Nice of the chump to assume it was YOUR eff-up, because of course, shipping companies are well known for their tender care of fragile componentry. I'd prolly tell the little shi+ to pound sand either way.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
was that his first email to you after receiving the fork? ridiculous that he would assume you're trying to rip him off before simply asking you about it.

That pretty much makes you a douche bag
at least he's trying to be polite... i mean, he said 'pretty much' ... so you're not 'entirely' a douche bag. :D

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
I just did a deal with Transfer, face to face and he was a cool and stand up dude. I find it hard that he would do such a thing.

Tansfer, I think you are going about it smartly by wanting to see pics etc. PS, I just sent you an email..........

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Do you know who this person is on any of the main forums? Does he have enough history on any sites to cause your reputation any harm?

I wouldn't sweat it one bit. All he can do is try to throw dirt on you on forums. Even if he provides pictures of a broken fork, that does not mean anything at all. I can find a picture of a broken fork too. You want a toe? I can get you a toe!

I'm sure your word will generate more clout than this little turd.

I would also call Marzocchi to ask yourself how much that piece is.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, if this is his first communication, either he is a 12 year old or a scammer.

If I bought something with a problem, I would write back nicely and mention the problem with a pic. If you were a legit seller, then we could fix the problem together.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
was that his first email to you after receiving the fork? ridiculous that he would assume you're trying to rip him off before simply asking you about it.

at least he's trying to be polite... i mean, he said 'pretty much' ... so you're not 'entirely' a douche bag. :D
Yeah, first email. Nice huh?
As Jay said, how could that get sheared off? I had it so wrapped up that unless the entire end of the box was basically crushed it couldn't happen. The fork was dropped by FedEx ground at 1:08pm 9/13. Email from 9/14 (@4am? whatever).
I don't know if he's on Ridemonkey and really I'm not afraid of the reputation issue.
I'm glad I could get some opinions and see that I'm not the only one thinking he's a :greedy: butt :pirate2: who can show :picsstfu: :plthumbsdown: because I might feel like :nopity: :disgust1: after that email.

Smilies are great when you're frustrated.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Judd,
I was meaning to ask you, where did he find that your 66 was for sale in the first place? Where do you think he'd be most likely to flame you? I want to build your defenses from the scumbags of the world :)
TWIMC,
I've known Judd for years, and was in his wedding (though I got ousted from the BM spot by the bride's brother ;) ). There's no way that he's lying about this. I say we get Judd to give us the "ship to" address just so we can pre-emptively kick the crap out of this guy for even attempting to slander a good person!

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Well, no reply since my response on the 15th. I guess it's not I who is the douche. By the way, his name is David Beland and he lives in Rhode Island. email is debel70 @ yahoo . com

If I find out that this is not a lie, I will gladly retract this info.