Quantcast

Amateur Race at Big Bear?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
I am thinking about going to BB this weekend for the amateur race being held, but I have never raced DH before. Can I just show up and pay the entry fee or is there an application process? Any ideas for preparation? Thanks.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You've always been able to sign up on race day before, but check the event schedule on the website to be sure and find out what time you need to be there.

To prepare, practice sniffing dust, and go to your local ice skating rink and practice turning...conditions at big bear aren't super hard or technical, but they do take some getting used to.

If you've never ridden at Big Bear before, I think racing is not going to maximize your cost/fun ratio. I'd go up and ride on a full day lift pass (though unless you know the area well, DH race day kinda takes up all the DH trails...so you might be better off racing one day and just riding all day the next on a day lift pass...)

MD

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
I was there last weekend and have ridden in the past. Just thought I would try out the whole race thing, but MikeD you are right about not being able to get in as many runs for the cost/fun ratio. I got the scoop from Team BB and it sounds like I should get there pretty early.:D