Quantcast

An Arizona site!!!

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
Wow, I just noticed this forum. Hope it's more than just spandex wearin' roadies that say stupid s*!t to mountain bikers when they see 'em. I moved to Phoenix from Seattle about 5 years ago. Totally different attitude here. Seems like it's all about the cardio. Not only is Desert Classic boring as all hell but I've run across some of the biggest asses ever on that trail. Is there anyone in Phoenix that rides for fun and isn't here to be the next great XC champion? Other than Flagstaff, South Mountain, and an occasional Sedona trip this place is blah. I've heard Sunrise rocks, gonna head up there this year. Unfortunately, it's about a 4 hour drive. McDowell sucks, White tanks sucks, Dreamy Draw is okay, Estrella sucks bad, Desert classic sucks, National to 24th street totally rocks. Okay...that should ruffle some feathers. I'll quit now. Okay, if I didn't have to live in Phoenix (due to work) I'd go right back to Seattle where the riders are friendly, the beer is good, and there's an abundance of scenery. AAH, that felt good.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I gotta agree. I 've been here 7 years and did the cross country thing for awhile and like you say it's boring (but the desert is killer). Saturday we had a great urban ride (A bunch of big hit bikes downtown PHX doing stair drops, some skinnys and scaring tourists). This weekend might be more of the same or South Mountain. Lemme know if you're in. (We can probably find you a Starbucks after the ride). Ha.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Also, when I see roadies, I just yell "ROADIIIIEEEES!" which seems to have a confusing effect on them, because it's not a curse (in their minds) and they're not sure if I'm cheering them on... Sometimes they even wave - they're so cute...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I've got to agree with a lot of what you are saying.

It's XC hammerhead city around here. The roadies can be even more highly anoying, I am only a roadie on the way to and from work so don't give me too much S*** about it. Most the riders I know are all about how to crush the other riders in their a group, not about kicking back and enjoying the ride. Like you said all about the cardio.

I want to ride fun stuff, hang out, and for once go on a ride that's not about who's the biggest hammerhead. I started out XC but I'm really starting to get bored with riding the same trails again and again. I have started to migrate into more trailbike stuff and I'm also getting interested in DH. I still have a little bit of a mental block against shuttling. Recently I've started riding my mountain bike to work and riding up the ranger trail to the road on SoMo, take the road eot the BV parking area, down national to mormon, and out the guad parking area. It's a hell of a lot more fun than just cruizing bike lanes home. My wife thinks it's dangerous, but I'd like to point out I got creamed by a car on my road bike, While the worst that's happened to me on Morman-National was a case of the pukies when I rode it uphill on a 110 degree day, and a few scratches.

This place is really jonesing for some Super-D or Downhill races.

parts

Chimp
Oct 13, 2001
North Vancouver
I'm from North Vancouver down here for a couple months so it's defintely some new terrain to get used to. South Mtn has been pretty fun- nothin g wrong w/ some windy climbing.

I'm gonna hit Sedona/ Flag this weekend- sounds like that's the best place in Az for two wheels.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
stinkyboy said:
Also, when I see roadies, I just yell "ROADIIIIEEEES!" which seems to have a confusing effect on them, because it's not a curse (in their minds) and they're not sure if I'm cheering them on... Sometimes they even wave - they're so cute...
Now that's funny!!!!
The Phoenix thing sounds fun. Are the cops bad? I'd be willing to give that a try, or at least watch others doing stuff I can't.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
parts said:
I'm from North Vancouver down here for a couple months so it's defintely some new terrain to get used to. South Mtn has been pretty fun- nothin g wrong w/ some windy climbing.

I'm gonna hit Sedona/ Flag this weekend- sounds like that's the best place in Az for two wheels.
I just left Vancouver today. Was there for 4 days for business. It was everything I expected. Next time I'll take the bike and hang out a couple extra days.
South Mountain is fun. You get a nice payoff for the effort you put in on the uphill. My latest thing is riding from the 24th st parking lot, up Central to BV, National to 24th st trail. I prefer loops to out and backs.
I lived in Seattle 7 years and never went to BC...what a dumba$$!!!
Flag is great, Mt Elden is a killer uphill with awesome downhill. My favorite Sedona is Bell rock/ Cathedral loop. Pretty much all XC.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
Skookum said:
i'm glad vno is making freinds. :p

must get rone-ree out in the desert. :evil: ;)
Hey skook,
I just figured every forum needs an mmike!!!!!!!!!!!! That guy kills me.
The lack of shade in 95 degree weather while riding on some boring trail filled with a$$ses is making me irritable. I'll be back up there for Fathers day. I'll post a couple days prior so we can set up some rides.

parts

Chimp
Oct 13, 2001
North Vancouver
Vno said:
My favorite Sedona is Bell rock/ Cathedral loop. Pretty much all XC.
I hit that yesterday. I heard Flag was snow & mud so I stayed in Sedona
Sedona has just a tad more character than Phoenix.
I felt like I was on the set of a road runner/ Wiley Coyote cartoon shoot.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
Yeah, once you get past the OOOHHH, AAAHHH, redrocks...it's pretty much xc your ass off. Too bad you couldn't hit Flag, that's my favorite. Of course, none of this compares to the paradise you ride in. Look up Mocha and Universe on ridemonkey (PAC Northwest) when you get home.They live in BC and are awesomely friendly to the Seattle riders that make the trek up to ride in your backyard. I'll surely be heading up this year for a trip...providing work doesn't get in the way.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Vno said:
Now that's funny!!!!
The Phoenix thing sounds fun. Are the cops bad? I'd be willing to give that a try, or at least watch others doing stuff I can't.
I've never once been bother by cops, but I heard in Tempe they can be jerks. The Critical Mass ride has been getting a lot of heat.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Vno said:
Yeah, once you get past the OOOHHH, AAAHHH, redrocks...it's pretty much xc your ass off. Too bad you couldn't hit Flag, that's my favorite. Of course, none of this compares to the paradise you ride in. Look up Mocha and Universe on ridemonkey (PAC Northwest) when you get home.They live in BC and are awesomely friendly to the Seattle riders that make the trek up to ride in your backyard. I'll surely be heading up this year for a trip...providing work doesn't get in the way.
There is some cool stuff up in Sedona once you have a look around a bit. It's even in a couple of 'extreme' videos. The most fun stuff is often the noodly bits just off the marked trail. Oh, and there is a huge crazy DH with giant step drops under coffeepot. Ask one of the bandaged locals who hang out at Mountain Bike Heaven by the dirt jumps.

extreme2

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I always ride for fun.....usually ride on the weekends. I live in the west valley, but will travel to ride. I'm more of a downhiller/freerider, but it's all good as long as it's fun.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
extreme2 said:
I always ride for fun.....usually ride on the weekends. I live in the west valley, but will travel to ride. I'm more of a downhiller/freerider, but it's all good as long as it's fun.
Is there any decent urban action on the Westside?

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
extreme2 said:
I'm with you buddy. Keep it fun. If you're not looking forward to your ride before you leave the house, do something else. :thumb:

doAZido

Chimp
Aug 20, 2003
Glendale Arizona
I know this thread is a little old but I have to add my twq cents worth. First I am glad to see an AZ forum, Maybe we can get a little more organized as a state. I know that south mountain gets alot of national pub. because it is an epic trail , but it is the only trail in AZ that I have met riders who were real asses. Once at the national trailhead there was some so called mountain biker making fun of riders who were hike a biking some of the trail , we need to remember that there is a wide range of skill levels out there, we cant all clean every section of trail.
another so called biker was bragging how he was scairing hikers off the trail, keep that crap up and you wont have access to the national trail. So I dont do south mountain anymore. I live in the NW valley and I can drive to Prescott in about the same amount of time and ride better trails and meet much nicer people. So thats my rant on that. Now about white tanks , estrella and mcdowell mountain, I think they are great trails and we should be thankful we have mountain bike only trails when a lot of places are having access issues. So enjoy them for what they are, great desert trails, when you get tired of the desert, Sedona Flag and Prescott are just down the road. I believe Sedona has some of the best riding on the planet. ( go to the bike and bean when you are there and meet some of the nicest people on the planet too ) Were I live in the NW valley there is a lot of state trust land within a couple of miles of my house, trails going all over the place, a lot nice single track that only the locals know about. So go out and ride...............ride slow,ride fast,hike a bike, uphill , downhill , race whatever just HAVE FUN!

extreme2

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
You know I really haven't checked out the urban scene here in the west valley. I've been spending most of my time riding down at south mountain.

doAZido

Chimp
Aug 20, 2003
Glendale Arizona
extreme2 said:
You know I really haven't checked out the urban scene here in the west valley. I've been spending most of my time riding down at south mountain.
Dont really know if there is much of an urban riding scene in the west valley