Quantcast

Ancillotti Bikes?

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if has any experience with these guys? Ever seen one, ridden one, etc?

I was given the opportunity to start importing these into the US and am trying to determine what kind of demand there might be for High End Italian made frames like this. Just curious what people think?

Check out their website for their other models: www.ancillotti.com

Thanks,

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
It looks very similar to the older Rotec's Moto-link design, without the concentric pivot of course.

*Shrug* I suppose peeps would be interested just to be different...comes down to how well another linkage driven single pivot performs...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
neat bike. semi similar suspension config to the sunn radical. proprietary shocks are always a bit sketchy though; might be a fairly significant detractor in the na market.

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
neat bike. semi similar suspension config to the sunn radical. proprietary shocks are always a bit sketchy though; might be a fairly significant detractor in the na market.
I guess the shock is not really proprietary, except for the fact that they build it themselves and claim that it is specifically valved for their frames. But then again, I would too if I were trying to sell shocks with frames.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
pull shock?
It doesn't get more proprietary than that.
Too many bad memories there for most folks.
"Anyone got a Super Deluxe pull shock for my Yeti?"

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
My primary concern is the retail price. The frame will be sold as a Frame-set, which includes frame(obviously), their shock, chain device, and headset. My best guess with euro to dollar conversion (damn weak dollar) put the MSRP at around $2999-3500 (depending on actual shipping costs and import duties). I know this is not too outrageous concidering some DH rigs out there (Nikolai, etc) but it still seems a bit high for general acceptance. Thoughts?

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
pull shock?
It doesn't get more proprietary than that.
Too many bad memories there for most folks.
"Anyone got a Super Deluxe pull shock for my Yeti?"
Yeah thats what I thought too, but take a closer look...its not really a "pull shock", its just what they call their system, i.e. the swingarm "pulls" the link into the shock (crazy Italian marketing).

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
My primary concern is the retail price. The frame will be sold as a Frame-set, which includes frame(obviously), their shock, chain device, and headset. My best guess with euro to dollar conversion (damn weak dollar) put the MSRP at around $2999-3500 (depending on actual shipping costs and import duties). I know this is not too outrageous concidering some DH rigs out there (Nikolai, etc) but it still seems a bit high for general acceptance. Thoughts?
Gack...3g for that frame set...that'd be a tough sell...unless it comes with the option of increasing the riders d*ck size to John Holmes status...:monkeydance:

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
It would seem if you could show compatibility with domestic shocks, you might have a shot.

Some years back when we were sponsored by Giant and rode the first gen "DH" bikes, there were a lot of comparisons flying around with the Ancillotti.

Similar low COG single pivot, with a linkage driven shock. Of the couple of years I raced the Giant at Nationals, I hit the linkage pretty hard only a few times. That being said, I always had spare links just in case.

At this point as a comsumer, the price would keep me out of the game. If it were in the $1700-$2000 range, I'd be more apt to consider it. I think this is the big reason you see so few Nicolai's about also.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
If it's compatible with other shocks and the price could come down, I think it'd be a good buy. They don't have the best reputation overseas, right? I've always liked the look of the frames, but haven't heard much.

There is a reason why you don't see too many Oranges and Nicolais- expensive for what they are, can be hard to get parts if needed, not mind blowing performance above and beyond domestically available stuff.

stoneyloon

Chimp
May 17, 2007
Yeah im from the uk and ride one, with regards the shock; it is quite thin shock to fit through the whole in the swingarm and i think this is why you are limited to their own brand shocks. Bill Henson imports the bike to the Uk and he services the shocks so i dont really have any issues with the limited shock. also the paint varies every year on the team bikes
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1071598/
thats a very old pic of my bike, and i much prefer those colours to the blue yellow in the thread. the bikes ride amazingly and are quite popular in europe. there not amazingly light but ride real nice. oh yeah and to covic racing if you want i could give you the mobile number of bill henson who could give you some real imformation about the bikes from an importers point of view

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Yeah im from the uk and ride one, with regards the shock; it is quite thin shock to fit through the whole in the swingarm and i think this is why you are limited to their own brand shocks. Bill Henson imports the bike to the Uk and he services the shocks so i dont really have any issues with the limited shock. also the paint varies every year on the team bikes
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1071598/
thats a very old pic of my bike, and i much prefer those colours to the blue yellow in the thread. the bikes ride amazingly and are quite popular in europe. there not amazingly light but ride real nice. oh yeah and to covic racing if you want i could give you the mobile number of bill henson who could give you some real imformation about the bikes from an importers point of view
That is great that your distributor services the shocks but would that be able to happen here in the US, not knocking Covic at all. Mr. Covic do you have the resources to service the shocks?

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
That is great that your distributor services the shocks but would that be able to happen here in the US, not knocking Covic at all. Mr. Covic do you have the resources to service the shocks?
Actually, its Mr. Krajcovic, or Joe to my friends ;-).

And yes, I do have the resources. My brother (and business partner) Dan brings all the hands on experience with 10+ years as a service and suspension tech at various local bikes shops. And I have spend the last 8-10 months preparing my training, equipment and facilities in anticipation of my Kowa Fork maintainence responsibilities. Adding a shock to the mix should not be too big a stretch at this point.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
being in the european market and having some knowledge of the american market i don t see this as a very good deal by seeing the prices u would be handling. the bike rides good, and quality wise is not bad at all...it s actually very good. the thing is the frame's paint doesn t look that good and the manufacturing isn t as good as nicolai for example to justify the price. plus there are enough single pivots in the market to justify the risk of importing a frame from overseas at such a high price. just my 0.02$. cheers

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Some years back when we were sponsored by Giant and rode the first gen "DH" bikes, there were a lot of comparisons flying around with the Ancillotti.

Similar low COG single pivot, with a linkage driven shock. Of the couple of years I raced the Giant at Nationals, I hit the linkage pretty hard only a few times. That being said, I always had spare links just in case.

IIRC i remember reading that Giant bought the Ancillotti design to use for their DH Comp and Team frames when they were introduced in 01(?)

L

luelling

A bit of a derailment, didn't Pascal ride for them for a while? Or on a team that rode those bikes?

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Finest bike I have ever ridden. I would love to give a long indepth reply. But I don't have the patience. If CovicRacing wants to PM me I will be happy to impartially answer any questions you have. I have been riding an Ancillotti for 4 years at World Cups etc...

Any questions just ask.

Also I know people see the shock as a problem, but to be honest they are perfect. Built specifically for the frame, Whats the problem? Every stock crosser comes with a "proprietary" shock. No hassle, I know people want choice and love to have as many excuses for their lack of skill, but the shock makes for a reliable, high performing bike. The photo provided doesn't make the bike look the best. With a slightly different build it is a lot better looking.

I'm just about to leave for 8weeks racing around Europe on mine, and I don't expect any problems.....at all. ZERO! That's the way it has been for 4 years of racing anyway.

As for a market in the US, people always want something different. But whether the Ancillotti is that I don't know. They work flawlessly though. It's just the some Aussie doesn't ride one so it must be ****house!

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
i live near the Ancillotti facility, here in Tuscany, and i had the occasion to meet one of the owners, the son, Tommas. He's a really nice person. totally committed to his job, that is not only researching developing and handcrafting high performance bikes, but also promoting the sport here in Italy. And god knows downhill needs promotion in italy. He is personally present at every national race AND most amatorial race, and he supports everyone riding an Ancillotti, even used ones.

The bikes come from years and years of family experience with MX racing first and then downhill mtb, and you can be sure that everything in their bikes is there for an exact reason... reason which you can personally discuss with Tommaso or Alberto on the italian MTB forums ( www.mtb-forum.it ), they'll be glad to explain and discuss with you, in english of course.

Do not underestimate these bikes only because top-ten WC riders don't ride them... oh wait, THEY DO now : D

cheers!

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
Sorry everyone, I was off on business and away from my computer for a few days.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the great feedback on Ancillotti and their products. I think I have been sufficiently convinced that this is venture is worth a shot. Now its up to Albero and me to hammer out the numbers. Stay tuned for Ancilotti in the USA!

Thanks,