Quantcast

Annoying sound advice...

Chris C

Chimp
Jul 30, 2006
Sturbridge, MA
Morning mokeys,

I am planning to take my Trek Pilot 2.1 into the LBS in the morning, but was hoping to get some inut as to what may be going on. The bike is only 3 weeks new, but my rides lately have been plagued by this ticking sound coming from the bottom bracket area. It stops when I stop pedaling, but makes the sound in all gears, in the saddle, out of the saddle, uphill, downhill.....all the time the pedals are turning. It is a persistent tick..tick.tick...tick that doesn't seem to keep any constant rhythm. The bike has an Ultegra crank, stock components and the Shimano SPD style pedals that came on the bike.

I am half hoping it is the pedals so I have an excuse to buy the new shoes and pedals that I really should spend the $$ on right now!!

Any input is appreciated.

Chris C.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
won't this be fun. i bet this is the bb, but it could be a crankbolt, spoke, chain, rear derailleur, rear cassette, frame...

Chris C

Chimp
Jul 30, 2006
Sturbridge, MA
I did check to make sure its not the front cable end.

I guess I am probably just going to start with each part and eliminate them as I go through them.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Get yourself a tube of anti-seize and a roll of teflon plumbers thread tape. Put the anti-sieze on the threads of the BB and wrap the BB cups w/ two layers of the plumber's tape (mind the direction of the wrap so it doesn't bunch up).

Another thing, on my Enduro Pro, the Fox upper shock mounting spacer/axle squeeks/clicks (I think I'm going to re-design it and have it made).
Anyway, here's two possibilities.