Quantcast

Another new one....let the hasing begin!

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
What's going on fellows!

New guy here......36 years young, living in Los Angeles (any other angelenos in here?

Anywho! Been biking all my life (haven't we all), but I recently bought a Straight 6 (let the Schwinn haters begin their hasing)

And I fukkin love that bike. Mostly bike around The Santa Monica mountains, like dirt mullholland with off trails, Kenter Whoops, and Backbone up in the Malibus.

And in all honesty, biking is merely my flat day fun, that is, when the ocen does not cooperate and produce waves.

Great to be here! :evil:

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
I'll see you the meat and waffles, and raise you guys some steamed broccoli :thumb:

Cool site, finally I found a MTB site with some actual activity. I was posting on another site, and one week later, there was still ZERO replys, or any new threads for that matter! :nope:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
SoCalsurfer said:
I'll see you the meat and waffles, and raise you guys some steamed broccoli :thumb:
Yack!

I hate vegetables. Especially green ones. The only vegetable I like is ketchup.

Ridemonkey is awesome. I dont actually assist anyone in fondling balls, though.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SoCalsurfer said:
Have I found him! Jesus is my neghboor for gods sakes.....I live in L.A remember, plenny of Jesus'es around my hood!

LA? What is that spanish for San Fransisco or something?

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
splat said:
A straight 6 !! Now that is old school!!!

what is it a 13-18 ?
Now you're speaking bike lingo, which I'm not that familiar with, please clue me in!

It has a Fox Vanilla rear with 6 " travel, and a Psylo fork with 5.5 - 6" travel, with the Lawwill rear design, but otherwise. I'm not really sure. Ah yeah! A cane creek head set, all XTR otherwise...Hayes disc brakes. platform pedals

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SoCalsurfer said:
Now you're speaking bike lingo, which I'm not that familiar with, please clue me in!

It has a Fox Vanilla rear with 6 " travel, and a Psylo fork with 5.5 - 6" travel, with the Lawwill rear design, but otherwise. I'm not really sure. Ah yeah! A cane creek head set, all XTR otherwise...Hayes disc brakes. platform pedals
A Psylo with 6 inches of travel?

No sir. Psylos only get 5 at max.

I had a buddy with that frame too. Careful with that derailleur hanger. Non replaceable. He snapped his off, the frame was out of production and he couldnt get a new swingarm. He had to retire it for good. Its a great bike. Just be careful.

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
BurlySurly said:
A Psylo with 6 inches of travel?

No sir. Psylos only get 5 at max.

I had a buddy with that frame too. Careful with that derailleur hanger. Non replaceable. He snapped his off, the frame was out of production and he couldnt get a new swingarm. He had to retire it for good. Its a great bike. Just be careful.
Allright 5' then :eviltongu (I was hoping for 6")

Anyways, yeah! I know alla bout the, out of business (pacific bikes) thing. But I used to have a 4-banger, that I also loved, so I figured a Straight 6 can't be worse...It's not by the way! :p

But anyways, I broke my rear derailer hanger on that one, and freaked out. But I found out about this one place in ther U.K that makes aftermarked hangers, and got one for $15.00 or so...

Here;s 2 links for you Schiwnn, or otherwise out of date, frame owners.
http://www.derailleurhanger.com/index.htm

and here's the link, where I bought my derailler hanger from
http://www.betd.co.uk/

And to be quite honest, if there was NO WAY to get those hangers (besides a machine shop) I would not had bought his bike
:thumb:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I mean, I was pretty sure that bike in particular didnt have a replaceable der. hanger at all. That you had to replace the whole swingarm. Maybe yours is newer than his, cause he was screwed.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Welcome to RM, mang. I like meat and vegetables, I recently lost my license and found a dirtbike. Allow to go "BRAAAAAPT!" in your general direction!

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
BurlySurly said:
I mean, I was pretty sure that bike in particular didnt have a replaceable der. hanger at all. That you had to replace the whole swingarm. Maybe yours is newer than his, cause he was screwed.
I'm not sure about that! But the 4-banger I had, where the problem occured, had a replacable derailler hanger. That was a 99' model

The Straight 6 I have now is a 2001 model (last good year for Schwinn :thumb: ) and that one also has a replacable hanger.

That is so sweet, cause looking a those models on e-bay, you can usually score them fairly cheap....Probably because of issues like these. People are afraid that the bike will become.....Useless.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
SoCalsurfer said:
Allright 5' then :eviltongu (I was hoping for 6")

Anyways, yeah! I know alla bout the, out of business (pacific bikes) thing. But I used to have a 4-banger, that I also loved, so I figured a Straight 6 can't be worse...It's not by the way! :p
Haha i never could get 5 out of my psylo the damn thing would twist and i'd endo before i could all the way into my suspension. :p
Did you have the 4-banger with the carbon fiber swingarm? haha i used to be a GT lover myself, LTS and STS's and I-drives sigh.... Looks like bankruptcy broke both our hearts.

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
Skookum said:
Did you have the 4-banger with the carbon fiber swingarm? .
Yeah the 4-banger I had was basically exactly the same bike I have now, with the Lawwill rear carbon swing arm. The Straight 6 has the same rear design....I love it. It is so FUKKIN plush that design, and at least you can "semi" lock it out for long climbs :thumb:

Any thoughts on a new front fork, perhaps Double crowned that will NOT add too much extra weight?

I like the stability the DC adds going Downhill.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Straight Sixes are awesome. Really fun bike.

I would not add a double crown to it.. The year you have was not the burly, Easton tubed year that was authorized for use with a DC. Get a 20mm Marzocchi Z.1 or a Sherman Firefly and experience a level of stiffness that you won't even believe after that Psylo.

Welcome to the :monkey: !

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
xbluethunderx said:
Trade my Homegrown for a Straight Six :D
You should have been looking through the B&S forum more.. My buddy had one for sale on there for a looong time, he finally sold it a few months ago. Cheap: $250 for the frame + headset.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Not to be a bastard - the Straight 6 is sweet - but I think that it actually only gets 4.5" in the rear (Straight 6 is sort of a misnomer) - I used to ride a '99 4 Banger too though (the one that came with the damned Sid DC that blew after 6 rides) - I loved the bike once I swapped the RS off the front and rear... Welcome

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
s1ngletrack said:
Not to be a bastard - the Straight 6 is sweet - but I think that it actually only gets 4.5" in the rear (Straight 6 is sort of a misnomer)
Actually, we did a couple measurements and it gets about 5.5". It is mis-named, but it gets fairly close to 6".

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
binary visions said:
Actually, we did a couple measurements and it gets about 5.5". It is mis-named, but it gets fairly close to 6".
That's cool - I used to think that if the Straight 6 got 4.5... the 4 banger must've been really tiny.

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
Mornin to ya fellows...and fellowettes :nopity: For the one who was looking for a Straight 6. I got mine off of E-bay for $600.00 complete, and a few weeks earlier I was one go for $550.00....

And like I mentioned in an earlier post...Parts are NOT a problem :)