Quantcast

Another new peep.

Corksil

Chimp
Apr 10, 2006
Maui, Hawaii
Hey all, my name is Cory and I go by Corksil.

I am a light rider, generally road riding, and getting into mountain biking. Since I was a lot younger, I have appreciated bikes and enjoyed riding. I used to do a bit of casual weekend mountain biking etc, and then I got into dirtbiking. After dirtbiking for a year or so, I moved houses, and sold the dirtbike collection. I have recently been riding a bit on the street, just general transportation really, rides less then 15 miles.

I was going down the street a few weeks ago, in the grass, and it appears that I hit something very hard. I bent the rim all up on the Mongoose that I was riding, and almost screwed myself up pretty badly. To make a long story short, I haven't been riding at all since then, due to the busted rim, and I have been looking for a new bike. (Yes, I know the rim is fixable and I plan to do that, but I'm still looking for a better bike etc.)

Yesterday I found a bike at a garage sale, and I jumped on it. I threw down $500 on the spot for a bike and a CamelBack hydration system. Normally I wouldn't do that, but the bike and the deal was right in front of me, and I had to take it.

On to the bike....
The bicycle is a Specialized full-suspension mountain bike, an Enduro to be more exact. From what I was told, the bike was the 2002 bike of the year, and the guy bought it for $1400 at the time. He rode it into town once, I think about 33 miles roundtrip, and decided he didn't like the way it felt, and that he liked it for looks. Odd as it seems, he put it in the corner of his house for 3.5 years, just so he could look at it being all shiny and new. :S Anywhoo, he had to leave the island, so he put it out for $800 and I came by within a few hours. I gave him $500 cash on the spot, and got him to throw in a CamelBack Rogue that was brand new (never used, ever) at $50 value. The bike was new to the point that it still had manuals etc hanging on the handle bar, and the pack even had the price tag on it. Additionally, (not sure if these count as additions) there are some clip-in pedals on it, and an under-seat pack. There is also a hand-tire pump. ::EDIT:: I also got a cyclo-computer dilly-O on the bike, that clocks speeds, trip distance, times, clock, average speed etc. Not that special, but definitely a feature. ::/EDIT::

Anywhoo, I know for a fact that this is too much bike for me at my current skill level, but I cannot bring myself to turn around and sell it, even if I was to make a profit. I don't want to own things I don't use, and now is a great time to get back into mountain biking, as far as I can see.

So, announcing myself...
I live in Maui, Hawaii, and I am somewhat n00b. Just saying hey and posting my story. Here's a pic of the BIKE.

::EDIT:: I am probably about 5'10'' and I weigh between 145-150 pounds. ::/EDIT::

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Dude, great deal and a great bike!! Fsr rear suspensions rock. Enjoy and welcome. remember to put Your weight over the rear wheel when on steep desents and all will be good !!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hmm cool i just sold my old Enduro. You got yourself a great deal and should just hop on that bike and ride. Don't worry about skill level not equating to the bike and all the nonsense on here about getting a hardtail to get better skills. You've got a great starter bike and that frame is worth upgrading and it's worth buying new parts for if you break them.

Get your ass to Poli Poli Park and go ride that singletrack there. Once you get a little more confidence get someone to shuttle you up to Halekalea and ride Skyline down to Poli Poli. At Poli Poli ride Mamane Trail and ride Waiohuli Trail.

Then when you get those trails nailed down, have someone get you to Makowao Trails. i didn't have enough time to convince anyone to show me, since you gotta be a local to ride Makowao.

That's all i know about, good luck and hopefully someday soon we'll see some sweet pics of you and your bike riding down Skyline.:)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Sounds like you got a pretty sweet deal on a hell of a bike. While it may be too much for you now, you'll "grow" into it the more you ride. Keep it, ride it, love it.

Corksil

Chimp
Apr 10, 2006
Maui, Hawaii
Thanks for the shouts, I appreciate it. Yep, I have friend who rides lots, I'll prolly get him to show me around a decent amount etc etc. Yep, I'm still proud of the bike. :D

Corksil

Chimp
Apr 10, 2006
Maui, Hawaii
Call me a harsh critic, and I suppose you'd be right, but.....

So far, I have some issues with the fenders and the ghei-lookingness of them. And yes, I am considering taking them off. The fr00t I got the bike from had about size 4 shoes, and a nice pair of size 4 clip-ins. Unfortunately, I am about size 12, so I did not think to make them part of the deal. Now I have clip-in pedals on the bike, and no shoes, and it's very irritating. The pedals on the bike are very very slick in the rain, and if you shift under heavy pedaling pressure, your foot skates right off.

This is a problem for me, and has almost put me on my ass about 15 times now, many of them more than 15mph. :( Not fun.

One final qualm is such...
The forx and the shock have problems with pressure. Of course, it is just me and my idiocity, but they are pretty low on air due to some dumbass taking a little bit out. :dead:

Anywhoo, I get on the bike, and the forx settle about 2/3rds of the total travel, and the rear shock settles about 1/2 of it's full travel. Not particularly good for road riding. I've got all the manuals and things to tell me how much pressure should be where and how, but not able to locate a pump to pump them up.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
well about the shoes:
go to your local performance bike shop(if you have one) and look at the clearence rack. i got shoes for like $8 and were origionaly like $60.

next about the fork and shock:
go to your local bike shop or something and ask them to pump them up with a shock pump. you need a shock pump to pump up the shocks because they can screw on and are verry percise. (also consider buying one for like $15. i keep one in my cammelbak(the same one you have) so if i lose pressure i can easily change it)

Corksil

Chimp
Apr 10, 2006
Maui, Hawaii
Yup, sounds like a plan. I'm wondering if spending money on shoes is a good idea, seeing as I'm not sure I'm ready yet. Thanks for the shouts though.