Quantcast

Another Shot at a Belt Driven Single Speed - Orange this Time

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I really liked the idea when Jericho did it even though it didn't go far.

We'll see what Orange can do.

Now, if only one of my SS bikes allowed for the rear end to come apart allowing a belt to 'slip' through. Could be a new market for S&S couplers.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Sweet! Belts are so smooth, this could be a really practical application for them.

One drawback: when a belt under 100# of tension, plus any extra pedaling tension, snaps, that thing is gonna wip around pretty quick, and with a lot of force.

Rather than do frames that come apart, why not just do an arced chainstay, that would bridge over where the belt on the way to the dropout? It might not be quite as stiff or light, but it'd be cheaper and easier than couplers. Simply beefing up the seatstay a heck of a lot, and removing the drive side chainstay, could also work.

With all that tension on there, would a 20mm rear through axle, and some larger bearings, be on the agenda? That would also stiffen things up nicely, allowing for a unique drive side design.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Re Jericho. I saw Josh and his belt drive at Sea Otter years back. According to him, the largest obstacle they encountered was finding a way to keep the belt seated. I'm curious to see if Orange and their belt manufacturer have come up with a feasible solution.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
So for an SS bike... what is the advantage over a chain again?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The tension on that sucker seems like the biggest limitation to me. I bet it's going to eat bearings like crazy, and I sure as hell wouldn't want my legs anywhere near it if it snapped, though that's not likely. If they can figure out a way to make it work with lower tension, it could be a really good idea. Or, we could be wrong, and the bearings could hold up fine, in which case it would be pretty cool.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
If it needs to be under that much tension wont it be a pain to get on and have it be tight enough and the wheel aligned correctly?(in addition to the whole unbolting your chainstay process)

Jun 20, 2007
I love it, I have been dreaming of creating a belt drive for years. I would like a belt drive SS, and a greared belt drive with a Rolhoff (I don't know how to spell that).