Quantcast

Any cowan ds owners?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
My new shop carries kona so I'm gonna get a cowan ds soon. I've got my build pretty much dialed in except for the fork. My question is does anyone think a 120 or 130mm fork will rake it out too much? And another little question, not that its gonna be used too much for this application but, how is it for moderate downhill runs? It won't be my primary dh rig, mainly just my s.s. freeride bike, but it would be fun to take it to wilson's every now and then. Thanks guys. And if you have any suggestions on builds please tell. Basically its gonna be like this:

Fork: Pike or Totem 2step set to 135
Wheelset: I9 blue laced fr wheels.
Crankset: Deity :happydance:
Brakes: Hayes el caminos w/ 203mm rotors
Bar/stem: deity
Headset: FSA PigDH
Tires: Maxxis High rolller 2.4's

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Sounds like a awesome build. If it were me, I would personally get the Pike, since my friend has one on his and it feels amazing. I dont really have much to say, but whatever. :)

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
the only thing i was terribly concerned with about the pike is that i haven't ridden one extensively in a freeride type environment, i have with a totem, and plus the totem looks so bad ass.is your friends pike set all the way to 140?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I have both forks. for the Cowan DS i'd get the pike for sure.

the totem is overkill for that bike

akaeasy_j

Chimp
Sep 23, 2003
Frisco, TX
I just got my cowan DS in frame this week and plan to set it up with a 110mm dj 2. I read on one of the Kona tech fourms that Kona says that the cowan ds frame was designed to be ridden with a 100-110 mm fork. I will try to go back and find the forum and post a link.

TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
i have a cowan DS. i love the thing. i have a nixon on mine. i have had mine for a while and they can take a ****ing beating to. i plan to take it to snowshoe. jumps like a dream and rides like a hardtail. they say 100-110. but i have mine at 115-145mm and rides awesome. the only thing is go ahead and order it now because it took me 3 months to get mine in. have fun with them. you will never want to sell it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am sitting in my hotel room in MOAB next to my buddys cowan ds...He has been slamming this bike all over the west for a few days now...This bike is more than capable...

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
The bike is definitely not a freeride bike!!! I ride mines for dirt jumping but however I do ride it a bit on smooth short trails. But this bike is not made to ride down rock gardens and downhill trails. If u want to ride downhill, get the Howler since u can run gears on it. here's mine: