Quantcast

Any Dh riding in or near Steamboat?!

Burrito 03

Chimp
Nov 21, 2003
Marysville, Washington
I'm leaving for steamboat today with some family and I decided to bring my Dh along for the trip. Right now I am in washington and I have never been to Colorado, so any info on dh riding in the steamboat area would be a huge help! Thanks, Barret :D

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
no, steamboat has more potential than any other mountain in the state. It could hold friggin worlds...but the Forest Service is not that easy to deal with. I still can't understand how they allow thousands of trees to be cut down, lift poles to be buried in the ground yet get their panties in a wad over some trails that would occupie .000001 percent of the land being leased...

they have something...just nothing worthwhile imo
sorry

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
neversummersnow said:
no, steamboat has more potential than any other mountain in the state. It could hold friggin worlds...but the Forest Service is not that easy to deal with. I still can't understand how they allow thousands of trees to be cut down, lift poles to be buried in the ground yet get their panties in a wad over some trails that would occupie .000001 percent of the land being leased...
<snip>
I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say the answer is money. That's right, $$$, greenbacks, pesos, dinero.........

I could be wrong........ :D

-S.S.-

dropkick

Chimp
Jul 3, 2004
Colorado
Steamboat Mountain Bike Policy
1. Extreme, high-speed downhill mountain biking in NOT allowed on the mountain.

2. A 20 mph speed limit will be strictly enforced.

3. Mountain bike on designated trails only.

4. Mountain biking is prohibited on ski trails, Why Not Road (Rainbow Saddle down) or non-designated trails.

5. Riding on renegade trails is prohibited.

6. Bicycles designed and equipped primarily for high-speed downhill operation will NOT be allowed on the Gondola.

7. All mountain bikers will abide by IMBA’s Rules of the Trail and NORBA’s Mountain Biking Code

THESE POLICIES ARE STRICTLY ENFORCED; ANY VIOLATION WILL RESULT IN THE LOSS OF YEAR-ROUND MOUNTAIN/LIFT PRIVILEGES.

If you have questions as to your bicycles acceptability please contact our mountain bike staff at 970-871-5349 PRIOR to purchasing a bike lift ticket.
Weak

Howelson Hill might have some DH...

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Quote: 5. Riding on renegade trails is prohibited.

I hate it when my name gets used in such a negative conotation. :mumble:

It's the money. It takes resort time [hence money] to jump through the hoops that the forest service requires for permits ad naseum for building trails. The rich, lazy colorado ski resorts would rather put that time and energy into their winter activities, where they can draw high dollar spending clients, rather than us poor bikers who aren't staying in their spendy condo's, shopping in their spendy boutiques, etc.

Sorry for my usual rant, you'll now be returned to your usual program.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
I think there is a little something of a shuttle run back toward fish creek falls... atleast that was the word around the race last year. Don't know if it's legal, don't know if it's secret or not, and don't know exactly how to get to it, but it is probably your best shot. I would start at a local shop like Ski Haus or something, they might know.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Renegade said:
<snip>
It's the money. It takes resort time [hence money] to jump through the hoops that the forest service requires for permits ad naseum for building trails. The rich, lazy colorado ski resorts would rather put that time and energy into their winter activities, where they can draw high dollar spending clients, rather than us poor bikers who aren't staying in their spendy condo's, shopping in their spendy boutiques, etc.
Ding! ding! ding! We have a winner! Money talks. Lots of money in skiing. Almost none in DH-ing.

-S.S.-

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
Ding! ding! ding! We have a winner! Money talks. Lots of money in skiing. Almost none in DH-ing.

-S.S.-
Where's my prize for winning? :confused:

Oh, it's a swift kick in the nuts! :nuts:
Thank you! May I have another?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Renegade said:
Where's my prize for winning? :confused:

Oh, it's a swift kick in the nuts! :nuts:
Thank you! May I have another?
And guess what else you've won?

New excuses from the ski areas! More cold-shoulder from the Forest Service. But that's not all! You also get looked down upon by 98% of the population for being "reckless fools." Even if you're not! Congratulations! :D

-S.S.-

Burrito 03

Chimp
Nov 21, 2003
Marysville, Washington
Sounds Great!! :rolleyes: Thanks for the info all of you guys. I guess I brought the Dh 1000 miles for nothing, so far it hasn't even left the hotel room. Right now I am in Yellowstone, but will be arriving in steamboat on saturday. If by any chance somebody might want to take me to some "secret trails" I would be totally down if it is anywhere around steamboat. Thanks again to all who responded, I just brought the bike along on a whim but it would be awesome if I could get out and ride. I'll check back on sat morning! :)

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
It will get there however. Whistler makes tons of cash on a market that's barely been tapped. Once Resorts start to figure this out, they'll make money, and more people will buy/rent DH rigs for fun... just like what ski industry does now. I don't know very many people that skin up to the top of a mountain to ski down anymore. 99.9% like the lifts.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ascentrek said:
It will get there however. Whistler makes tons of cash on a market that's barely been tapped. Once Resorts start to figure this out, they'll make money, and more people will buy/rent DH rigs for fun... just like what ski industry does now. I don't know very many people that skin up to the top of a mountain to ski down anymore. 99.9% like the lifts.
That is quite possible. Look for the Intrawest resorts (Copper & Winter Park) to probably be the first to try it out.....

They still have to deal with the Forest Service, though. Maybe Canada's version is a bit more progressive.

Of course, DH-ing may end up fad-ish for all but a core group of riders. The ski areas are probably still biding their time to see if it's gonna burn out - kinda like they did with snowboarding.

-S.S.-