Quantcast

Any experience going from Outlook to Lotus Notes?

bentride

Chimp
Sep 14, 2010
Massachusetts
So the company I work for is going from Outlook to Lotus Notes and I'll be converting Monday... anyone have experience making this changeover, and what should I be expecting?

As someone who's used Outlook to stay organized for my entire professional career I'm a little annoyed, but oh well.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Your company is going the wrong way. LN is banal, quite possibly the worst email system available.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The world won't end, though that is an odd move. We are FINALLY going from LN to Outlook this summer!

bentride

Chimp
Sep 14, 2010
Massachusetts
About moving in the wrong direction: we got acquired by a larger company that uses Lotus Notes, so didn't have much of a choice, but most people I've mentioned it to have said something similar!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you will hate lotus notes. if i could make a deal with the devil, and have all system fonts, web fonts, etc, changed to comic sans just to never have to deal with lotus notes, I would.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No smart phone integration as far as I am informed. Agree what a strange move well except if you are working for IBM.
There is the Lotus Notes Traveler app that does integration with all of the major smartphone operating systems. It has to be provisioned and pushed out from the server (you can't just download an app and connect to the Notes server).

I hate Notes. It's bloated and slow, the UI kinda blows and the search sucks. Unfortunately, the company is to invested globally to make the switch right now.

Stupid Notes :rant:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
No smart phone integration as far as I am informed. Agree what a strange move well except if you are working for IBM.
Lotus has been available on Blackberry Enterprise Server for a decade. You can also do Lotus on Good Technology's solution which supports various smartphones.

Jrod155

Chimp
Nov 4, 2010
everytime i change jobs i change from lotus notes to outlook and vice versa.

everytime i'm like lotus notes/outlook is so much better than outlook/lotus notes.

right now i'm on outlook, i hate lotus notes.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I don't remember it being too hard to do but when one of my former employers switched from Exchange to Lotus Mail I was able to set up my Outlook client to work with the Lotus server. Might want to look at that if you really hat Lotus that much. I agree though, Lotus Notes is a piece of junk.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
We went from Outlook to LN 4 in 2000. I have used and supported 4, 5, 6 and now 8. Shoot, I even had training from IBM/Lotus trainers and am "certified".

Lotus Notes might very well be the worst program ever written. And it used to be even worse. :rant: With the exception of a couple of major brown noses here at work I have never met anyone who liked LN.

Most client side notes issues can be resolved with either a reboot, or by reconfiguring the users settings. (As in, rename the folder and start from scratch, config, then replace the personal settings) Roaming profiles are fun.

If you don't need the database functionality you're better off using the web based client. In fact, if you think of LN as a db program and not an email program it's not so... nah.. it still sucks.

Normally I would tell an end user to read the help file for simple questions, but in lotus notes even that sucks.

Good luck... you're going to need it.

I hate Lotus Notes.

Last edited: