Quantcast

Any great Curry recipes out there?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I ate ton of the stuff whilst in Japan but haven't eaten it much since.

I was thinking that I'd like to try cookin' up a batch sometime. So if you've got a good recipe post it!

Thx!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's how i make curry:

"golden curry" from the local asian food store. hot variety.
~3/4 lb. of shabu shabu cut beef, really thin in other words
1/4 of an onion
several small eggplants, or one decent sized one. or a potato
maybe 10 small garlic cloves
chopped up mushrooms, shiitake or whatever you prefer

boil enough water to cover all the ingredients comfortably and then some. add meat to it, and entire pack ("10 servings") of curry. chop up all of the non-meat stuff, add it in after a few minutes. after bringing to a boil and dissolving the curry, then put a mesh top on the pot, or just remove the top. let simmer/boil lightly at low/med heat for a long time to boil off some of the excess water and to soften up the part that is going to give the texture, whether eggplant or potato.

serve on white rice, possibly with some bulldog sauce if it wasn't strong enough. oh yeah, adding in chopped up fruit of all things to the simmering mix can be nice, too, although some people seem to be revulsed by the concept.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
japanese curry?

:confused:
the japanese LOVE their curries. little "ka-re-e" shops are everywhere in japanese cities and train stations. :love:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Toshi said:
the japanese LOVE their curries. little "ka-re-e" shops are everywhere in japanese cities and train stations. :love:

I've never seen such a wide selection of levels of 'heat' one could eat as I saw in Japan. The lil' place I used to much at had some 25 or so...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
curried goat (eaten in a caribbean place in portland, OR) was the hottest thing i've ever eaten, w/ the possible exception of beef vindaloo (in stockholm of all places!). i thought my teeth were melting.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Mmmmmmm curried goat and ox-tail stew. Those are two of the carribean treats I miss most. Thanks a lot. Now my stomach is rumbling.

If you like curry, you need to go to a traditional Indian(as in from the subcontinent) eatery. The east-indian food of the carribean that found it's way to the Netherlands is good, too...rijstaffel.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Toshi said:
here's how i make curry:

"golden curry" from the local asian food store. hot variety.
~3/4 lb. of shabu shabu cut beef, really thin in other words
1/4 of an onion
several small eggplants, or one decent sized one. or a potato
maybe 10 small garlic cloves
chopped up mushrooms, shiitake or whatever you prefer

boil enough water to cover all the ingredients comfortably and then some. add meat to it, and entire pack ("10 servings") of curry. chop up all of the non-meat stuff, add it in after a few minutes. after bringing to a boil and dissolving the curry, then put a mesh top on the pot, or just remove the top. let simmer/boil lightly at low/med heat for a long time to boil off some of the excess water and to soften up the part that is going to give the texture, whether eggplant or potato.

serve on white rice, possibly with some bulldog sauce if it wasn't strong enough. oh yeah, adding in chopped up fruit of all things to the simmering mix can be nice, too, although some people seem to be revulsed by the concept.
mmm yes golden curry....
i add chicken potatos carrots and onion usually. eitherwa, petty similar
like he said, over white rice, sometimes a little bulldog sauce, then i also like red pickles on the side...i think their real name is Fukujin Zuke

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Gaeng Keow Wan Gai (Thai green curry)

Just shooting off the hip here, but it's pretty easy. Something I make once or twice a week usually...

0.5-1.0 lb. chicken
a can of coconut milk
1-2 japanese eggplant(s), cut in wedges or strips or chunks.
some baby corn (usually comes in a can)
3-4 kaffir lime leaves
~2 Tbs palm sugar
~2-3 Tbs fish sauce or to taste
a bunch of purple basil
2-3 Tbs Thai green curry paste, either from a tub (Mae Ploy brand or other), or make yourself. I don't know the recipe for the green curry paste off hand but perhaps I'll post it later.

Heat up about 3/4 cup of the coconut milk in a pot for a few minutes until the surface gets a little oily. Add curry paste and cook for 1-2 minutes unti it becomes fragrant and a little oily on the surface. Add chicken and stir through the curry. After a minute or two add the eggplant. When the chicken and eggplant are cooked about 1/2 way through add the rest of the coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, baby corn, and sugar. Cook through until eggplant is soft but not mush. The curry should have a slightly oily consistancy on the surface when done. Stir in the basil leaves at the end just before taking the pot off the stove.

Additionally something I really like is to caramelize some shallots and add those to the curry at the end. It gives it a nice, deep smokey finish that adds alot of depth to the flavor.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
DamienC said:
Gaeng Keow Wan Gai (Thai green curry)

Just shooting off the hip here, but it's pretty easy. Something I make once or twice a week usually...

0.5-1.0 lb. chicken
a can of coconut milk
1-2 japanese eggplant(s), cut in wedges or strips or chunks.
some baby corn (usually comes in a can)
3-4 kaffir lime leaves
~2 Tbs palm sugar
~2-3 Tbs fish sauce or to taste
a bunch of purple basil
2-3 Tbs Thai green curry paste, either from a tub (Mae Ploy brand or other), or make yourself. I don't know the recipe for the green curry paste off hand but perhaps I'll post it later.

Heat up about 3/4 cup of the coconut milk in a pot for a few minutes until the surface gets a little oily. Add curry paste and cook for 1-2 minutes unti it becomes fragrant and a little oily on the surface. Add chicken and stir through the curry. After a minute or two add the eggplant. When the chicken and eggplant are cooked about 1/2 way through add the rest of the coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, baby corn, and sugar. Cook through until eggplant is soft but not mush. The curry should have a slightly oily consistancy on the surface when done. Stir in the basil leaves at the end just before taking the pot off the stove.

Additionally something I really like is to caramelize some shallots and add those to the curry at the end. It gives it a nice, deep smokey finish that adds alot of depth to the flavor.
Yo D, between the homebrewing, bike skills, mental acuity and culinary expertise, you should install swinging saloon doors to your bedroom! You better be slaying the chicas down there in NVA, as I don't recall you being married! :D

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
llkoolkeg said:
You better be slaying the chicas down there in NVA, as I don't recall you being married!
Unfortunately...plenty of friends but none with benefits. :p

One more for the masses and what I just ate for lunch . . . beef rendang. :drool:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
DamienC said:
Unfortunately...plenty of friends but none with benefits. :p

One more for the masses and what I just ate for lunch . . . beef rendang. :drool:
Good thing for you I don't live down there any more. I know a couple good looking, freaky girls who "are just looking for a nice guy who isn't married". Obviously I am no longer permitted to tap the keg myself, but I'd be able to pimp you out easy enough! Why don't your girl friends hook you up?

(BTW, sorry for intrusive, unrelated hijack N8.)

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
llkoolkeg said:
Why don't your girl friends hook you up?
Starting to work this angle but they all knew I was "on sabbatical" for a while so to speak after becoming newly single. Maybe I should look into hiring a pimp. How much do you take as a cut? :D

Another one from the files...more vegetarian friendly but I think this recipe calls for shrimp in one form or another. Sayor Loday

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
llkoolkeg said:
Thanks a lot. Now my stomach is rumbling.
I miss real "saturday night" jerk. The owners of one of the local grocerys in the town where we stayed know how to do a Saturday. It starts in the mid-morning/early-afternoon with conch soup, followed by the football game (in this case England vs. France) and many Red Stripes and Guinness extra stouts, then ends with a huge jerk cookout, more beers, music, and dominos.

A friend's husband keeps me stocked with jerk seasoning and Ting, but I really miss the island.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
DamienC said:
Starting to work this angle but they all knew I was "on sabbatical" for a while so to speak after becoming newly single. Maybe I should look into hiring a pimp. How much do you take as a cut? :D

Another one from the files...more vegetarian friendly but I think this recipe calls for shrimp in one form or another. Sayor Loday
Ahhhh. A break is always best after a break. Time to get back in the saddle, though, if for no other reason than to improve your cardio conditioning. :)

For ladies, I take my payment in boots; for you, I'd be happy with some o' that homebrew! My wife doesn't like the house to smell like a brewery, so my days of brewing are most likely behind me. If you are ever up this way for a true beginner XC ride in the 'shed, I'll try to invite one of the eligible lassies I know. They are the most novice of riders, though, I feel obliged to admit.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
BikeGeek said:
I miss real "saturday night" jerk. The owners of one of the local grocerys in the town where we stayed know how to do a Saturday. It starts in the mid-morning/early-afternoon with conch soup, followed by the football game (in this case England vs. France) and many Red Stripes and Guinness extra stouts, then ends with a huge jerk cookout, more beers, music, and dominos.

A friend's husband keeps me stocked with jerk seasoning and Ting, but I really miss the island.
Dude, when I went to GMU for my first two years of school, there used to be a bar/restaurant in University Plaza called Fat Tuesdays. They had reggae night ever Wednesday complete with live reggae, Dragon Stouts and an outdoor jerk cookout. I would always stumble over from campus all bleary-eyed and not leave until I'd fully compromised my safety. Ahhhh the good ol' days! :(

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
What the hell is Bulldog sause?

Best Indian Curry I've ever had was in Kenya....i've never found anything comparable in the US...every restaurant tones down their curry for western palates.