Quantcast

any "normal" foods for energy?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've been sucking down various energy gells the last few times out, and while they seem to work pretty well, they are gross! The honey stingers ones are OK, but they are super sweet - almost makes me gag.

Are there any "normal" foods that are a good source of energy? I've heard that liccorice (jesus... how the hell do you spell that?) and pop tarts are good... seems like they are just all sugar though.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I seem to find myself eating granola bars constantly when I ride. All different types. Some that are "healty" types with fruit, some with lots of sugar and chocolate. I don't think I could do liccorice. There isn't much substance to it.

J

JRB

PB sandwiches are good. I like clif shots and have a newly acquired taste for apple cinnimon carb boom and hammer gel. Like an apple pie. Maybe I should carry apple pie. :think:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Hammer gels aren't as nasty as some of the others. Also Carb-boom gels taste pretty good.

Usually on rides I eat granola bars.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
One time, DamianC and I were riding with some guys at some local trails and one of them pulled out a smoked trout wrapped in aluminum foil. He had plenty of energy for the rest of the day...

granola bars and beef jerky is my weapon of choice....

J

JRB

Ahh - just remembered these mexican cookies (gamesa???). You take the cookies and put jelly on them and wrap them in foil. They soften up while you ride. Not too sweet and you pick the flavor. I will check on them and get back with the name for sure. If I forget and you are interested, PM me with a reminder Jackson.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i have to second douglas' recomendation. i eat fig newtons and bananas all the time when i ride. however, i like the way most energy gels taste as well. i'd much rather have a 'nanner though.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Stick with Gels.
Eat tons of 'em.
After about 3 in an hour you get to this super hulk-out mode where you completely lose it and feel like you can walk through walls.
Sort of like when pac man turns blue and and then eats all the ghosts.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've tried a few of the Carb Boom gells, and the orange vanilla is the only one I can tollerate. Bananas sound like a good option, except that they wouldn't make out too well in my pack for 2 hours. Granolla bars sound like the best option... perhaps I'll look into the ones with fruit in the middle. I don't want something real heavy - don't want to end up feeling like I'm going to puke.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Nutri grain bars are dandy in a pinch. Hell anything fairly light and compact and full of nutricious goodies is better than bonking and crashing cuz you got no fuel for the machine to finish the ride.
Remember eating a good pre-ride meal and eating and drinking right a day before the ride goes a long way too...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Skookum said:
Remember eating a good pre-ride meal and eating and drinking right a day before the ride goes a long way too...

yep, that does it for me. :oink:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I notice a lot of votes for fig newtons -- my favorite is actually just plain dried figs. They're easier to carry without mashing, and they have a TON of sugar and carbs; nothing tastes better at the top of a 2 hour climb than a handful of figs.

jmvar said:
One time, DamianC and I were riding with some guys at some local trails and one of them pulled out a smoked trout wrapped in aluminum foil. He had plenty of energy for the rest of the day...
bahahahaaaaa, the trout!!! That's awesome; I rode w/ Andy and them one time and they had a food fight with the skin/skeleton and crap when they were done with it.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I bring weird stuff to eat on rides. I have had someone bring a bacon egg and cheese biscuit on a ride before. I have brought chic fil a before....mmmmmm, nothin like good fattening fried chicken at the top of a climb.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I've been getting organic fig and date "Newtons" which are made without corn syrup (or hydrogenated oils), to try and avoid a sugar crash. The wheat-free raspberry ones made with oat and brown rice flour are especially yummy. Not much more than regular Fig Newtons and taste so much better.

I've tried plain dried figs and dates, but they are so sweet by themselves that it's hard to get them down. What I eat has a huge effect on how I feel when riding. Junk food snacks or high fat items like nuts and PB will have me puking 30 minutes into a ride. I don't wanna even think about a bacon egg and cheese biscuit. :dead:

Crazy Dan

Chimp
Aug 26, 2002
Last Place!
Ridemonkey said:
I can ride all day on a pack of Fig Newtons. Be sure you don't get the fat free kind.
How do you ride on a pack of Fig Newtons? I usually just ride my bike. I haven't ridden too many snack foods lately.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
And some pop tarts.
Yes! The best pure / quick energy food for riding ever, IMO, as long as you don't care about calories and fat. You get a double boost. The sugar and as many carbs as a energy bar. Frosted Blueberry kick a$$. If you have your doubts, the next time your body feels like $hit on a day you are supposed to ride, knock out a couple of frosted pop-tarts before you hit the trail.

Trout and Fried chicken. :p