Quantcast

Any screen printing monkeys?

I'm thinking of getting some equipment and doing some t-shirt printing just for myself, and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how to do a diy setup and maybe where to get supplies. I have done a couple by hand but would really like to start using emulsion.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yep... I teach graphic communications... and we print a bunch of t's! photo emulsion is the only way to go. wether you buy liquid or capilary direct film, your prints will be much better than hand cut or indirect emulsion.

as for a good set up for home printing you are still talking some serious money! At bare minimum for one color prints, you will need some sort of press which can be as simple as 2 jiffy clamps mounted on a shirt pallet. a couple screens. squegees. ink. and a way to dry the ink (since most ink used is plastisol or waterbased conversion ink that all use heat to dry or convert them)

if you are serious about it PM me and I will give you more info... but your first step would probably be to get a part or full time job in a local shop to check out the set up, and process. it isn't that hard just equipment intensive... let me know and I will give you some web sites that also may help.
hope this helps,
Dave

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I can give advice on how to set yourself up on the super cheap if you need to. Let me know how far along you are now. Is that a stenciled or screened image?