Quantcast

Anybody here own/ride a tandem?

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
I'm getting a tandem for me and the wife. Anybody spend much time on one? I've ridden about 4 different ones in the past and am curious about whether I should go steel or aluminum.

It's boiled down to a Cannondale road tandem or a Burley steel bike.

Any thoughts?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Take everything you know about cornering and throw it out the window.;)
Does riding a tandem mean you can use carpool lanes?
I'll shut up now...or at least attempt to be serious.

Seriously. If you're not going to do tons of riding on it, aluminum for sure. I would have to imagine aluminum would be less forgiving on longer rides as compared to steel.

You could always come by our shop and try a few out.:)

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
:p I was thinking of going with steel due to the ride quality. Burley uses True Temper OX Platinum air hardening steel, so it'll be pretty light and pretty stiff.

I can ride a few tandems at my shop too! :evil: Which shop are you at? Maybe I'll swing by to torment you soon!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
bikeguy100k said:
:p I was thinking of going with steel due to the ride quality. Burley uses True Temper OX Platinum air hardening steel, so it'll be pretty light and pretty stiff.

I can ride a few tandems at my shop too! :evil: Which shop are you at? Maybe I'll swing by to torment you soon!
I'm at Recycled. At present, I'm working Tues-Sat. After the 23rd, I think I'll be back to Thurs-Mon.

splat

Nam I am
I have a Burley Rock & Roll W/the softride Beam. we road a Bunch of tandems before we got the Burley. We tried a Cannondale and it was Soooooo Stiff mad for a Very harsh ride. Plus My wife really liked the Softride Beam , gave her a Much nicer ride.

Currently though the Beam is off the Bike , and it is set up for my Son to be my Stoker. which by the way, if you ever have plans of having a conversion crank on a tandem , you can't put on on the Cannondale , it will damage the Thin walled tubbing.

also If you need a Conversion crank for a Burley , I have one for sale , He has out grown the Conversion crank and is now just using crank shorteners

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the input! I think I've decided to go with either the Burley or the Co-Motion Periscope becuase I'll have a few different stokers to ride with. It's steel and doesn't need a kid adapter, but I'd go with crank shorteners if I put a kid on back.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I saw a recumbent tandem the other day and they looked really comfy. I've thought about getting bent, but I like getting out of my saddle. If tandems don't get out of the saddle much, maybe consider getting a bent version?

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Naw, I can't bring myself to get a recumbent anything. There are way too many designs and there is not even a vaguely defined set of standards that they are to adhere to. There really isn't a single standard bike part short of a bottom bracket and headset that works well with them. I've worked on many and the perormance of components just isn't up to par with a standard bike. I won't even get into the climbing issues regarding a bent.

Regarding getting out of the saddle, that's just a matter of working on technique with your stoker. A tandem team that's got their chit together can climb quite fast!

Oh, and if you can't tell Opie, you struck a nerve when it comes to recumbents. :redX: I have much the same attitude towards areo bars on anything except a TT or tri bike. :mumble: It's purely my issue though and I can deal with it most of the time! :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Aerobars are for more than just aero, they're also for long distance comfort. I'd get a set, but it seems they don't work well for riding up and down the mountains and that's mostly what I have here, but when i start touring more flatland areas, I will get them.

Your comments about bent standards and parts was interesting, hadn't heard that before, tho I don't read about 'em.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
'Bents scare the crap outta' me. They're probably kick-ass on a designated bike path or out in the sticks, but I have a hard enough time on my upright bike when it comes to being seen in traffic. I could forsee alot of situations where I'd be riding along a row of parked cars and have either a jaywalker or a car not see me until it's way too late.

Not a major aero-bar fan, either. They do come in handy on flatter rides that involve headwinds. One can only ride the drops for so long and then the back begs for mercy...unless you're Eddy Merckx.

The Co Motion looks pretty tight!:thumb:

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Well, my choice is the Burley Duet. True Temper OXIII air hardening steel. Mainly 105 stuff, with an Avid BB7 rear disc brake, Truvative cranks, XT hubs withWinmann rims. The cranks will eventually get upgraded to something carbon or hollow aluminum and hubs will be sealed bearing ('cuz XT hubs are lame) laced to Mavic A719 rims. The funny thing is that I've got it all planned out and will pretty much have the next bike up in their line, the Paso Doble! I just don't have the funds yet...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
bikeguy100k said:
Oh, and it'll be ORANGE! Andy, you know of my penchant for orange bikes!
Hahaha, yeah. You be an orange-riding mofo fo sho!:)

For some odd reason, whenever I see or think about tandems I always remember a scene from one of the freeride flicks where this guy is mobbing around a downtown on a tandem with an inflatible lovedoll tied to the rear seat. Good stuff!

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Hahaha, yeah. You be an orange-riding mofo fo sho!:)

For some odd reason, whenever I see or think about tandems I always remember a scene from one of the freeride flicks where this guy is mobbing around a downtown on a tandem with an inflatible lovedoll tied to the rear seat. Good stuff!
Doh! you've uncovered the real reason I'm getting a tandem!