Quantcast

Anyone got a dual sport?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I have ridden a friends Suzuki DRS350 (1998ish)

It is an great trail bike with new tires and maybe a final gearing change. If is not a pounding whoops kind of bike....rhw suspension that make teh road ride bareable doesn't like going fast in the rough.

I rode the dirt version o f the 400 for about 10 miles....but it had a massive 4ish gallon tank...and it felt terrible (tank/seat relation) The engine is the bikes biggest :thumb: it is plenty meaty for anything you throw at it in the dirt. I would like a chance to ride the 400 with the stock tank for a better ergonomic evaluation.

If you have any questions I will try and answer them.

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
You should try and find one of the older YZF400 or YZF426's with a baja kit. Im not sure if theyre still legal but.... look into it. I remember the first time I saw one of those rolling through town with the stock exhaust and non DOT tires. Now thats bad ass! braaaappp.. If thats not agressive enough for you then get into super motard.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Originally posted by bigshred
You should try and find one of the older YZF400 or YZF426's with a baja kit. Im not sure if theyre still legal but.... look into it. I remember the first time I saw one of those rolling through town with the stock exhaust and non DOT tires. Now thats bad ass! braaaappp.. If thats not agressive enough for you then get into super motard.
it has to be street legal cuz i want to ride from my cabin by lake wenatchee to the nearby orv trails. basically i want a good woods bike that is street legal.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by freeridekid
i'm only 15, so a 625 is too big
a 625 is big period. :D

It is heavy for trail work to....and the power is brutal enough to wear you out when a 250-400cc 4stroke are little lighter and have less power (that isn't always a bad thing)

If you were doing a bunch of street the extra displacement is usually beneficial. If you are doing al bunch of desert riding (Tri-cities area, :think: horn Rapids near the nuclear property, etc) it is nice. But 98.9% of the time it would be much more than needed. Though they are fun to play around on. :D

How tall and heavy are you? are you still growing like mad? his can help you figure out what bike to get. Suzuki DRS400 brand new is a great bang for the buck and still dirt-able. The previous generation DRS350 model is brobably going to go real cheap used so they are a great choice if you are going to keep it at a cabin in Wenatchee....or just ride it everyonce ina while. The DRS350 comes with electic start (atleast the later models did)

I would stay away from the 600-650cc range. Overkill.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Originally posted by RhinofromWA

How tall and heavy are you? are you still growing like mad?
i'm like 5'9, 5'10 with a little more growing left. i only weigh 125-130 but i'm trying to put on some meat (not fat though).

(key word "trying":D )

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
i'm like 5'9, 5'10 with a little more growing left. i only weigh 125-130 but i'm trying to put on some meat (not fat though).

(key word "trying":D )
At that wieght there is no need for anything bigger than a 400cc 4 stroke. Heck you could ride a 250cc 4 stroke just fine. You are tall enough just light so lots of bikes can work for you.

Do you want to aggressively ride offroad? Play Offroad? trail ride? and so on.

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
Years ago,in San Diego,I used to commute on a XL 350.It was super fun for "short cuts" through construction sites,getting air all over the place off urban hits etc...........BUT,after getting nearly hit and squished on the freeway from cars not "seeing" me,I called it quits!!(big red bike and an orange jacket) I still am tempted to get a bike to get to and from on,but just don't trust cars to not run me over!! Be very carefull if you get a bike for the street,people are not paying attention or looking for you.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by jeepmauler
Years ago,in San Diego,I used to commute on a XL 350.It was super fun for "short cuts" through construction sites,getting air all over the place off urban hits etc...........BUT,after getting nearly hit and squished on the freeway from cars not "seeing" me,I called it quits!!(big red bike and an orange jacket) I still am tempted to get a bike to get to and from on,but just don't trust cars to not run me over!! Be very carefull if you get a bike for the street,people are not paying attention or looking for you.
That is true. You HAVE to ride defensively....assume no one sees you.

Sounds like it is a trail bike that can connect trails via short road jaunts is what he wants it for. Not for commuting or traffic riding.

Note: Deer and Elk will mess you up good to on the backroads so be carefull out there too. :D

no kar

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
portland oregon
and its got a baja kit, so its street legal here in portland, oregon. ive been riding dh bikes for about 4 years, and im sick of going to canada all the time, so im getting into dual sport.

the drz400 is plenty fast, and there are a ton of mods you can do to make them as fast as you want. the only drawback is they are about 30-40 lbs heavier than other bikes in its class-

ill reiterate the dangers of riding a moto on the street. its hazardous. ive been riding bicycles for about 15 years, so im used to motorists pulling out in front of me, but its still a shock. ive had 2 close calls already and ive only been on the road about 5 hrs.

good luck!
aaron

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
Originally posted by jeepmauler
after getting nearly hit and squished on the freeway from cars not "seeing" me,I called it quits!!(big red bike and an orange jacket) I still am tempted to get a bike to get to and from on,but just don't trust cars to not run me over!! Be very carefull if you get a bike for the street,people are not paying attention or looking for you.

"LOUD pipes save lives"

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by bigshred
"LOUD pipes save lives"
No they give teh automibilist'ssomething to aim for....:)

I had a dork constantly revving his engine and dumping the clutch only to braking short of running into the back of my truck last night. :rolleyes: In traffic. I was in front of him...I felt sorry for the people behind him. I have decades of riding experience so I was waiting for a nice little bump from JoeRacer. He had loud pipes on and only suceeded in pissing me off....life long offroad motorcyclist and lover of all things bike related.

Wrong time to be feeling your bike out, buddy. I almost wanted to rock back into his front wheel at a stop sign.... make him stay of my azz.

Loud bikes just make dorks feel good. My father 2000 Heritage Softail and my mothers 2004 King Custom run sweet without the mega phone abusive pipes.

Sorry I started down the advocacy path again.

Rhino "loud pipes are dumb, Mm-kay?" fromWA

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
I'm only gonna use it to go like five miles on the pretty empty road (right around lake wenatchee) from my cabin to the trails. i'd go for a 250 if i could find one with decent suspension. my dad has a yamaha xt 225 dual sport buy i can bottom the fork just standing over it. i'm worried about the performance on the trails, and it has to be a 4stroke. i also wanna be able to do small jumps.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I'm only gonna use it to go like five miles on the pretty empty road (right around lake wenatchee) from my cabin to the trails. i'd go for a 250 if i could find one with decent suspension. my dad has a yamaha xt 225 dual sport buy i can bottom the fork just standing over it. i'm worried about the performance on the trails, and it has to be a 4stroke. i also wanna be able to do small jumps.
I think a guy in my MC club is trying to sell his Honda XR/XL? street legal 250. He is old and slow and rides like 4 time a year. It might be a good bike for you.....

aha! Found it.
1993 Honda XR250L Dual Sport-very nice condition, 280 KIT, Lotsa extras $2,800.00 OBO. Contact Bill D.
I can give you his phone number and last name if you are interested....he lives up near Woodinville and Monroe, WA.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by ThePirk
My dads got a Xr 250L but its busted right now.
Hey Pirk,

What's busted? Any idea. The engine are fairly low maintanence. Change the oil, clean the filter, adjust/lube the chain, add gas and go.

Any idea what year your dads bike is?

Rhino

PS- I have to confess everytime I read your handle I read is as ThePrick. :eek: sorry I always get a chuckle out of it. You haven't done anything to warrant that thought I read it the first time like that also....

Iain

Chimp
Mar 8, 2003
I have a Dual sport. Its a honda NX250. They are pretty rare and are more street oriented then dirt (soft suspension, some fairings, more streetish tires). I knew that the majority of my riding would be on the street and there were some very nice things about this like: comfy seat, 6 speed, liquid cooled, good lighting, and some wind protection, and the ability to carry a passenger.

I have put just under 5000 miles on it since I bought it like 8 months ago, and I have taken the MSF experienced rider cource with a passenger. I have made 6 or more trips from bellevue to bellingham on it. It is capable of maintaining 70mph for a LONG time without a passenger, but I take HWY 9 because its way more fun/senic.

Basicaly what I am saying is be SURE that you aren't lieing to yourself about what you are going to do with the bike and you will be much happier with it.

The best part about this bike is that it gets over 70mpg! The worst part....I havent figured out how to carry my DH bike yet haha.