Quantcast

Anyone here have military experience?

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
Hi all, I'm looking for anyone who has some experience being in the military. It's something I'm giving some thought to and I really don't have anyone to go to with questions or advice other than friends and family who never served and recruiters who are paid to make me want to join up. I'm really starting to think that the Marines Platoon Leader Class (similar to ROTC for college kids) might be a good choice for me. It's training done while you are in college that, if you graduate and complete the training, will result in your commission after college. It is left up to you after the training and graduation whether or not you want to accept the commission and join the corps or pursue something in the civilian part of the world. It appeals to me because it gives me experience and leadership training while leaving me with options, but I also am concerned that with training, I won't be able to get back to racing condition easily and might lose a couple months of form during the whole deal. It sounds stupid, but I have sponsors who want results and I am concerned that this training might harm my results. Does anyone with experience have any advice or suggestions? Thanks
Jon
more info- www.marineofficer.com

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MikeD and BurleySurley have recent experience in the Marines, you may want to pm them if they don't find/respond to this thread.

There are lots of ex-military monkeys.

With recruiters, the devil is not in what they say, but in what they do not say.

From the Vietnam era:

What they say:
"If you enlist for 36 months, you can choose the country in which you will serve.

What they do not say:
"An offshore tour of duty is 13 months. Therefore if you enlist to go to Korea, there's still plenty of time for us to send you to Vietnam."

J

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I did 10 years in the Marines as an enlisted. I didn't get into cycling until blew out my knee skiing. Anyway, the PT will keep you in condition but you might find it hard to find the time to get on the bike. But that all depends on your job and where you are stationed. Also if your unit deplys alot it might be difficult to bring your bike along.
Here was my situation; I was in a Marine Squadron that deployed to Japan for 6 months at a time and then 12 months back home. There are mountains right near the base and everyone gets around on bikes there. Many people would ship their bikes over for the det. During the 12 months at home we would have numerous 3-6 week dets around the country and one to Norway.
3 weeks wasn't enough to ship the bike but some shipped them for the 6 week dets.
When we did Bosnia we flew out of Aviano. My neighbor was a flight engineer in the C-130 squadron. Somehow, I left the house before my bike but it was waiting for me in the hanger in Aviano when I got there. By then I had sort of a Sgt. Bilko rep in the community. I have on several occasions(I was a plane captain) dissasembled and packed a pilot's bike in the airplane because they were going to RON at Whidbey Is. WA.
In the USMC once you know your way around the system and get to know people you will know when and when not to bring your bike. They are alot more accepting of bikes in the Marines because of the places you need it for transportation.
Just don't be an 03 Hump alot, Swing with the Wing!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I wouldnt do it. Nothing wrong with checking out the PLC to see if you like it or not though. You need to show up there in shape, and I doubt anyone will complain if you want to exercise more to stay in riding shape. If youd decide to actually take a commission, I recommend looking into Public Affairs. PA officers have the easy life and all the free time in the world, usually.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
johnbryanpeters was right about recruiters. Do not trust them, ever.

I think you are doing the right thing about doing the homework, but make sure you find out everything, know the terminology, ask LOTS of questions.

I was in the Air Force... thought about the Marines, but a 'former' marine persuaded me into joining something that was more friendly with the troops.

I stayed in 5 star hotels on TDY.
At one duty station, I worked for 3 days and got 6 days off.
People in the Air Force know when they might get deployed (February was my go time, so I didn't have to worry about jumping through my ass to get bills and what not taken care of before I left).

Good Luck!

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
Thanks for the replies. I'm sold on the Marines because I'm not looking for an easy or comfortable job, I want a hard as hell job that will be something that I can be proud of someday. I'm mostly interested in the PLC program because I think I can relearn some work ethic and determination that I feel I have lost in the last few years while gaining a job opportunity. I don't see it as a career move, but I wouldn't mind deploying for a year or two (hopefully with Recon, but they only take one person from each PLC class for that job). What I really worry about and struggle with is that I've been racing for 5 or so years now and until the last 2 seasons (when I got a serious injury) had been making steady enough progress that a season or two in the pro ranks after college wouldn't be out of the question. I haev dreamed of racing my bike for a living since my first big win, but this would definitely not be something I could do as a Marine. By accepting the commission I would spend my prime racing years on active duty- I can't have it both ways but am considering my options carefully.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Dude, if you're heading into the Marines because you want to learn work ethic, you got the wrong idea, let me tell you. And just because something is hard, doesnt mean its better. If you're sold on it then fine, but talk to some other Marines before you give away your life for a few years. Other services offer a much better standard of living and even better special forces if you want to go that route.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
BurlySurly said:
Dude, if you're heading into the Marines because you want to learn work ethic, you got the wrong idea, let me tell you. And just because something is hard, doesnt mean its better. If you're sold on it then fine, but talk to some other Marines before you give away your life for a few years. Other services offer a much better standard of living and even better special forces if you want to go that route.
You're not regretting are you Shirl?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
valve bouncer said:
You're not regretting are you Shirl?
Not that I did it, but glad like hell its over. Glad to be a free man. :D I wake up every day and look in the mirror and go "F*** Im so glad Im not in the Marines anymore"

How's that for a recommendation jon cross?

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
Not that I did it, but glad like hell its over. Glad to be a free man. :D I wake up every day and look in the mirror and go "F*** Im so glad Im not in the Marines anymore"

How's that for a recommendation jon cross?
Here's a little pick me up song for you Shirlie -

"Birdhouse In Your Soul"

I'm your only friend
I'm not your only friend
But I'm a little glowing friend
But really I'm not actually your friend
But I am

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch
Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet

I have a secret to tell
From my electrical well
It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells
So the room must listen to me
Filibuster vigilantly
My name is blue canary one note* spelled l-i-t-e
My story's infinite
Like the Longines Symphonette it doesn't rest

Who watches over you

I'm your only friend
I'm not your only friend
But I'm a little glowing friend
But really I'm not actually your friend
But I am

There's a picture opposite me
Of my primitive ancestry
Which stood on rocky shores and kept the beaches shipwreck free
Though I respect that a lot
I'd be fired if that were my job
After killing Jason off and countless screaming Argonauts
Bluebird of friendliness
Like guardian angels its always near

Who watches over you

(and while you're at it
Keep the nightlight on inside the
Birdhouse in your soul)

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch (and while you're at it)
Who watches over you (keep the nightlight on inside the)
Make a little birdhouse in your soul (birdhouse in your soul)

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch (and while you're at it)
Who watches over you (keep the nightlight on inside the)
Make a little birdhouse in your soul (birdhouse in your soul)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
WTF was that and WTF is wrong with you and quit replying to me. Yeah, actually dont even tell me WTF youre talking about. Just stop.

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
WTF was that and WTF is wrong with you and quit replying to me. Yeah, actually dont even tell me WTF youre talking about. Just stop.

Bored - :mumble: That's all. I may start a BS pick me up song thread. I'll bring you a new level of gheyness each and every day. :think:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BurlySurly said:
Not that I did it, but glad like hell its over. Glad to be a free man. :D I wake up every day and look in the mirror and go "F*** Im so glad I have hair now"

yeah i bet those buzz cuts get old

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco-gringo said:
Bored - :mumble: That's all. I may start a BS pick me up song thread. I'll bring you a new level of gheyness each and every day. :think:
You seriously are about to become the first person ever on my ignore list.

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
You seriously are about to become the first person ever on my ignore list.

Just don't tell me so I can continue to amuse myself.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
valve bouncer said:
Shirley assures me he has never shaved his pubes. ;)
what? now that is something I do religiously. I hate pubes. I am glad to have hair on my head and face now, though.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
we are gonna fish the east fork of the french broad by the way. a roadside attraction river but nobody fishes it and it is full of fish. the stream would be the most amazing river ever if it was tucked way back in the hills.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BurlySurly said:
what? now that is something I do religiously. I hate pubes. I am glad to have hair on my head and face now, though.

wasnt it you that gave the directions on how to do that?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
we are gonna fish the east fork of the french broad by the way. a roadside attraction river but nobody fishes it and it is full of fish. the stream would be the most amazing river ever if it was tucked way back in the hills.
french broad? She sounds hot!

What flies do I need? and what's a roadside attraction river?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
there is a road beside it. some big fat size 12 royal wulffs and some bead head pheseant tail nymphs. size 14 or so in the nymph. maybe some black or green wooly buggers in size 12. also some blue winged olives. maybe a few size 24 or 26 midges in black or cream or brown. thats about it.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
there is a road beside it. some big fat size 12 royal wulffs and some bead head pheseant tail nymphs. size 14 or so in the nymph. maybe some black or green wooly buggers in size 12. also some blue winged olives. maybe a few size 24 or 26 midges in black or cream or brown. thats about it.
Alrighty.
This is going to be fun. Hope we catch some fish. We could fish 2 days if you want...wont bother me a bit.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
we will absolutely catch fish there. you will probably get tired of counting by the end of the day.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
we will absolutely catch fish there. you will probably get tired of counting by the end of the day.
I highly doubt that. Any big ones in there?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yup, there are but most will be in the 12 - 14 range. my buddy and his dad fished it yesterday and he cought 8 out of one hole including a 17 inch brook trout.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
yup, there are but most will be in the 12 - 14 range. my buddy and his dad fished it yesterday and he cought 8 out of one hole including a 17 inch brook trout.
:drool: I've caught few trout in my life honestly, cause I mostly fished for smallmouth in the past, but I have landed a few rainbows back home near nashville. I cant wait.

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
:drool: I've caught few trout in my life honestly, cause I mostly fished for smallmouth in the past, but I have landed a few rainbows back home near nashville. I cant wait.

You should move here. If you have a $25000 boat, you can catch bass. If not, you can catch gar. :dead:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco-gringo said:
You should move here. If you have a $25000 boat, you can catch bass. If not, you can catch gar. :dead:
My dad has a $31,000 boat, and goes to texas every year to bass fish. I can catch bass from the shore just as easily though as from a boat. You just need the skillz. Wouldnt care to do it on a fly rod though.

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
My dad has a $31,000 boat, and goes to texas every year to bass fish. I can catch bass from the shore just as easily though as from a boat. You just need the skillz. Wouldnt care to do it on a fly rod though.
Where does he go??? I got no skills for fish without a gig.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BurlySurly said:

no way dude!bass are so much fun on a fly rod as are gar. the only thing i dont use a fly rod for is deep sea and catfish.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
no way dude!bass are so much fun on a fly rod as are gar. the only thing i dont use a fly rod for is deep sea and catfish.
I flyfish for bass more than anything, but what Im saying is that in TX with their huge fish, standard gear is a baitcasting rig with 40lb. mono. You can do it on the fly, but i mean...uh...I wouldnt really want to.

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
Lake Fork near Houston and also Cooper Reservoir in the same general area.

Cool - never been there, but I here there are lots of fish. Canyon Lake has a bunch too. The bass guys are crazy serious here.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
I graduated from Parris Island August 6th. So far I'm having a good time, even though I'm still at schools. I'm a grunt but somehow got selected (read shafted) for Presidential Support. From what I'm hearing now is the duty that I'm supposed to go to is one which turns the most motivated Marines (me) into bitter Marines. But on the upside they need a lot more security forces Marines to go to FAST company. Since I don't have a PSP contract, odds are good that I'm not going to Washington. I'd rather be with my buddies over at 1/6 right now, they're slated to ship over sometime this winter. I was top 0331 in my company at SOI, so I just feel that being at a BS duty is going to be a waste of my talents. My talents being very good with the M2 and Mk19 and more than decent with the 240G. These weapons I will not see for at least 2 goddamn years. I'll be stuck with an M9 and M16/4. That's if I don't get posted at a complete BS duty station. If I go to Washington I'll be sporting Dress Blues and Whites without even a sidearm. Yay...

Had I known all of that, I wouldn't have signed the security forces contract, and instead just kept my Infantry one. If I did that I would've been able to try out for Recon down at SOI. I would've gotten past the indoc pretty damn easily too. Grrrrrrrr.

I seem really bitter, but I'm actually not. I just bitch because I'm on a 96 and there's nothing better to do right now. Give me a PM if you want specifics about anything I've gone through or what I know about the Marine Corps so far. I'm still a boot so I can't give you the whole story, but I'll try to tell you as much as I can.

ROBdropGOboom

Monkey
Mar 1, 2004
near Fresno
jon cross, i'm still in right now and let me tell you, it's going to be one or the other. i maybe get to ride about 6 times a month, if i'm lucky! most of the places you might end up are not always rider friendly or have places to ride. if you seriously want to keep riding...let go of thoughts of being in the military unless you decide to go AirForce. there's just not enough time to get the riding you probably want or expect to do. then there's the first year in which you'll probably spend most of it training or in school. not bagging on the military, but it's hard to mix the 2. i did get great training and leadership skills though! my work ethic is probably unmatched by most cicvilians...worked for brother back home and his employees got pissed at me for working too hard and too fast! anyway, give it some thought and think about that you will have to sacrifice some riding time.