Quantcast

Anyone know a good lake in NoVa for a dog to swim in?

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
We recently discovered that our dog likes to get in the water and retrieve anything we throw out there. We've been taking her to Cameron Run here in Alexandria but the water is only about 6 inches deep and with it being in a populated area we are nervous about her being off a leash. It also sort of smells funky.

Are there any larger lakes where people here take their dogs? Soon the weather won't be great for getting her out there so we want to let her have some fun before the winter.

Ideally the place would be less than a one-hour drive from Alexandria.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
scotts run park off of georgetown pike has a great swimming hole about 1 mile back. usually lots of pups there on weekends. we've got a lil swimming hole for our lab down the street at Eakin Park on Prosperity Dr. in Fairfax.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Its probably a little bit of a drive (I'm not 100% sure since all the crazy development up there) but there is a good amount of dog friendly water down around Burke Lake Park and Fountainhead. You can even get your xc groove on and swim the dog in the same trip.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Hey I forgot that dogs were allowed in the Fountainhead resevoir. We'll definitely head out there once this storm passes over.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
All the ponds up in the shed are real nice for swimming. Crystal clear water. Just ignore the anthrax.

My dog heartily approves.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
All the ponds up in the shed are real nice for swimming. Crystal clear water. Just ignore the anthrax.

My dog heartily approves.

That looks similar to the farm pond back home. My dog loves it, he can swim, chase frogs and roll in horse poop .... all in the same trip! Driving back 8 hours w/ a lab who smells like the swamp is another story.