Quantcast

Anyone Know much about Joe Waugh and his frames?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm awaiting more information and pics on a Joe Waugh hand built, Reynolds 531 road bike from a guy up in Boston.

I know Joe Waugh is still kickin and owns a bike shop in the UK, and I know he also was an Olympic class/World Class rider at one time......but anyone got any info on the quality of his frame building?

I know Reynold's 531 is the real deal - but anyone know much about Waugh's quality?

Thanks.

Hi - Dave yates is still building and renovating steel frames - now based in Lincolnshire - see Dave Yates Cycles Custom Bike Frames. I have a 1987 Joe Waugh 531 framed bike - that was ourchased second hand from Joe Waugh's shop (M. Steel Cycles) in 1996. I have it configured as a racing tourer with triple chain wheel and six speed cassette and treaded touring tyres. I used it for both urban commuting (about 7.5 miles each way) , leisure rides and occasional long distance trips. On the latter it has done the C2C five times, the Reivers, the Tweed Cycle Way and the Hadrian Cycle Way. Clearly as a road bike you have to be careful off road - but it copes with cycle tracks, old railway lines etc perfectly well. After 15 years of use I have never had to have the frame repaired and the paintwork, whilst not pristine, has stood up very well. Overall it is a solid and responsive machine that takes a lot of punishment.

I had not realised this was a US site- so the bike route I described would be unfamiliar:
C2C = west coast (Whitehaven) to east coast (Tynemouth) of England 140 miles - mix of off road, tracks and minor roads. Very hilly - but superb trip,
Reivers = east coast (Tynemouth) to West Coast (Whitehaven) of Wngland 175 miles - longer and tougher route. Great trip
Tweed Cycle Way - along the England/Scotland border roughtly following the River Tweed. Minor roads and good cycle tracks.
Hadrain Cycle Way - west to east coast again - but following 60 miles of the wets coast to Carlisle before heading across to Newcastle. 150 miles. Minor roads and cycle tracks. Good ride

Mar 21, 2015
I'm awaiting more information and pics on a Joe Waugh hand built, Reynolds 531 road bike from a guy up in Boston.

I know Joe Waugh is still kickin and owns a bike shop in the UK, and I know he also was an Olympic class/World Class rider at one time......but anyone got any info on the quality of his frame building?

I know Reynold's 531 is the real deal - but anyone know much about Waugh's quality?

Thanks.
Joe waugh frames are amogst thé best top quality steel frames to come out thé uk. And win awards back in thé day for it.Thé perçy bilton pro team rôde them. They Were made in thé same factory as Dave yates built his frames. And sold out thé same shop. but if Dave yates built thé bike it got his name on it. I did m'y work expérience in thé shop, Ive had m'y Joe waugh 20 and a few years and Its still as good now as it was then.
If your not sure of reynolds tubes, i think most tour de frances Were win on this tube, i guess most teams used it. Eddy merx and heinault. Both rôde on it. So Its a good set of tubes