Quantcast

Anyone know much about the Azonic B52?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Always on the hunt for new, simple things... I'll assume it's prob on the hefty side, but I was looking at it thinking 66rc2x, shorter shock for less travel, snappier feel, and lower bb...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
dont see it as too simple at all, but being an azonic, id try and see what other brands rebadge that same frame and see what feedback you can get.

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
One of the guys who hangs out around my LBS has had one for a few months. It is a TANK, think more along the lines of a Gran Mal than a BottleRocket. I don't know many specifics about it, but I do know with a 888RC2x his whole rig weighs around 44lbs.

Oct 24, 2006
Hey dude, I think this has been discussed here or on a different forum... Its a generic frame that many different companies have slapped their badge on as the first replier said... but all of them are overseas, due to US patents. Nothing wrong with a generic frame really though.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
One of the guys who hangs out around my LBS has had one for a few months. It is a TANK, think more along the lines of a Gran Mal than a BottleRocket. I don't know many specifics about it, but I do know with a 888RC2x his whole rig weighs around 44lbs.

Good point, forgot about the Mal... But MUCH better standover tho...
I dunno, just thought it looked pretty decent. Not really in the market for a new frame, but always interested in one!
And I really don't think an 8" travel rig with a DC fork at 44 pounds is crazy at all. Hell, my 06 Enduro SX weighs 41 with a 66 and an Avy, and I XC that thing.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001

really? none of the production frames have even hit the states yet. The only way he would be riding one is if it was a proto he got directly from Azonic. Oh, and it's anything but a tank. I picked up the frame at interbike and it's not that heavy. Advertised weight is like 8.5, I'd bet it's not that light, but still under 10.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
really? none of the production frames have even hit the states yet. The only way he would be riding one is if it was a proto he got directly from Azonic. Oh, and it's anything but a tank. I picked up the frame at interbike and it's not that heavy. Advertised weight is like 8.5, I'd bet it's not that light, but still under 10.
Actually, they're all over Ebay. That's where I saw it first...and why I posted this thread.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Actually, they're all over Ebay. That's where I saw it first...and why I posted this thread.
Actually...

I spoke with Jose at Azonic a few weeks ago. He said they were still waiting for the FIRST batch of frames to clear customs, and they wouldn't be shipping for at least a month. Azonic does not have them in stock. None of Azonic's distributors have, or have had them in stock, including QBP, BTI, and UBP. I haven't found a single online retailer with them in stock. And as for the ONE ebay listing, even that auction says, QUOTE: "PLS CHECK AVIALBLE FIRST"

So, thanks for trying, please enjoy this oatmeal cookie and orange juice.

Attachments

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
hey fulton, its called the "gray market" for a reason.
contract manufacturers sometimes end up making more products than contracted to, and these have a habit of ending up in places like eBay. it wouldnt be any surprise if they are being sold on ebay before in the states.
just take a look, theres several ebay dealers that sell odd name brand made in tw/prc for pennies on the dollar.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
And you mean the one REMAINING auction, I assume.
But I am pretty entertained at the lengths you would go to say "I'm right, you're wrong." See if you can nail it down to the nanosecond the frames that no one is all to hot for will be released. Well, then again, it sounds like you've got your pants down ready to dry hump the thing. Keep busting your ass for a worthless cause! whatadork.

revmonkey

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
it's a generic taiwan frame that's been released in many, many places. B52 AKA:

Kraftstoff F1Evo

Poison Furan

Dual Faces Vertical

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
And you mean the one REMAINING auction, I assume.
But I am pretty entertained at the lengths you would go to say "I'm right, you're wrong." See if you can nail it down to the nanosecond the frames that no one is all to hot for will be released. Well, then again, it sounds like you've got your pants down ready to dry hump the thing. Keep busting your ass for a worthless cause! whatadork.
The only reason I know about it is because we've been waiting for one for a customer. I my original post was questioning the validity of the guy who said "some dude's been riding one for months...", had nothing to do with you.

Taiwanese or not, is it still a good frame? Good design?

Seems like all the "taiwan" frames that I've had (including my AS-X) have never had quality issues, just that they haven't been very light frames, perhaps because they're a built overbuilt to accomadate a sloppier manufacturing process?

I don't know really, in fact, I've had to get rid of 2 "made in the USA" Cannondale frames because of poor welds. But they were much lighter and used nicer, more advanced materials.

I really like the looks of the B52, and with a horst-link 4 bar, it seems like a really good design as well (or is 4-bar so passe?). Price seems ok, although it's not enough to make me want to go sell my AS-X and get it.

In all honesty, the MAIN reason I like/buy Azonic products is because I love the name. It's just cool.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
transition has there stuff made in Taiwan and there is no quality problem there. personally, seeing some of the crap that comes out of the USA makes me view that as being a negative.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Sorry to dig up this thread again, but I forgot to check in on it. I'm a little ashamed to say that I LOVE the looks of the Kraftstoff bikes! Very clean looking.
And a lot of people need to check into the whole "Taiwanese built" thing. If you've ever gotten to see the facilities and the training they undergo there you'll be damn proud to have had your frame welded by them. Their skill level there far surpasses the majority here in the states. Hell, just look at your frame. Transition, Yeti and probably a solid 3/4ths of the frames built are welded in Taiwan or other countries. Big friggin deal. They've got more skills, better equipment and lower price. Why WOULDN'T a company want their frames done there?
And as a former A-SX owner, I strongly suggest you try out a different suspension design for awhile. I'm all for single pivots, but I personally feel they need to be reserved for short travel bikes. 5" and under, single pivot, 6" up, multi. Just my own little opinion, not looking for a battle over it, please!
I was all about this "new" azonic frame, but for one, I realized it's a twin to my Enduro SX (which is already feeling pretty sloppy after riding my cromo HT all winter!) but with even more travel.
So, I'll keep rockin the SX until I see something better. However...Anyone know where I can get white raised decals??? Me likey very much, and I've already got some pearl white PC on order...

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
Actually...

I spoke with Jose at Azonic a few weeks ago. He said they were still waiting for the FIRST batch of frames to clear customs, and they wouldn't be shipping for at least a month. Azonic does not have them in stock. None of Azonic's distributors have, or have had them in stock, including QBP, BTI, and UBP. I haven't found a single online retailer with them in stock. And as for the ONE ebay listing, even that auction says, QUOTE: "PLS CHECK AVIALBLE FIRST"

So, thanks for trying, please enjoy this oatmeal cookie and orange juice.
They have been in the UK for the last 6 weeks you can check with Hotlines over here..several mail order shops have them in stock..

heres some pics of a guy in the UK on one..
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1234716/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1234718/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1234717/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1234713/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1211324/

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
One of the guys I ride with has a B52. He's been on it for a few months now, odd that they are not widely available. Here is a photo with the bike in it from 1st week in January, damn nice weather for the middle of winter. I check the bike out, it pedaled decent but the bb was too tall for my tastes. With a 66 and an abuse-able build it was in the upper 30# range. I didn't get any hard numbers because we were riding.....

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hell, that setup is lighter than an air, and with a more "hardtail" snap to it...

It LOOKS really good. It will be nice to get some ACTUAL specs off it when you're done. What's your intended build?