Quantcast

Anyone planning on riding Winter Park?

Jan 24, 2006
Groom Lake
Hey CO locals,

Me and some friends from Springs are thinking of spending Labor Day weekend at Winter Park & Sol Vista. Has anyone heard any feedback on what Winter Park or Sol Vista is like? Most of my DH riding has been back home in SoCal and I haven't ridden Winter Park in years. But it sounds like Key is really getting some lack-luster reviews so we thought we'd try Winter Park since it is under new ownership and seems to be trying to reposition itself on the DH/FR map.

I have a v10 and a Bottle Rocket; which bike would be best for these places now adays?

Thanks ahead for any input.

-Shawn
http://AdrenalineImages.net

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
I'm going tomorrow for the first time. I just moved from NYC and used to ride at Plattekill and Diablo. I'd also really appreciate any tips on which trails are good to check out or stay away from! I'm taking my TMX. I'll see what fun I can scare up. BTW, anybody going tomorrow too?
-Danny

Lux Interior

Monkey
Jun 18, 2005
I rode WP with my hardtail DJ bike and had a blast, smooth berms, ladder drops, a wooden berm/wallride. much fun, but a big bike might be overkill.

remdog

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Durango
SOL VISTA is amazing. winter park is fun, but only has 1 gravity based trail. the rest are more xc styled. its not technical at all but has a alot of high speed sections so it can be fun

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Went on Saturday and had a blast. Lots of wooden and dirt tabletops, wall rides, fast sections, and a good sized set of jumps at the bottom. Didn't see any rock gardens to speak of, but I wasn't really looking for any either. I could have run a bike with less travel, but the big travel let me spring off the jumps and fly farther and land softer while still going plenty fast; big fun! :clapping:

remdog

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Durango
thats cause they dont have any unless you ride up hill to mountain goat which is gnarly. but a pain to get to. lots of big 3 foot ledges on it

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
thats cause they dont have any unless you ride up hill to mountain goat which is gnarly. but a pain to get to. lots of big 3 foot ledges on it
Yeah, I believe that completely, especially if the local terrain is represented by Keystone. A guy I met while riding tried to find mountain goat but said he couldn't.

son of simon

Chimp
Jul 30, 2007
I tried riding WP on saturday but thunderstorms kept the lift closed and I didnt get to ride at all. The map has the skills park shown where the Crankworx course is, but there were signs saying it was closed to bikes. What the hell else is supposed to use that area?

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
I tried riding WP on saturday but thunderstorms kept the lift closed and I didnt get to ride at all. The map has the skills park shown where the Crankworx course is, but there were signs saying it was closed to bikes. What the hell else is supposed to use that area?
When I came out at the bottom of the mountain, there were guys hitting the jumps. Maybe they put up the signs after the rain started to keep the jumps from getting trashed? Just a guess. And, yes, the map did say they were closed.

Aug 6, 2007
amish country
so if someone was taking a long weekend in Colorado to do some downhilling, where would you ride. I have ridden snowshoe and wisp in maryland and I am taking a friend from CO that has never downhilled before. He is a good rider, but new to drops and such. WP, sol vista, keystone? i want to get two days of riding in over the laborday weekend. Also, how are each set for bikes as i am renting whilst there.
thanks

remdog

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Durango
uh keystone and WP have rentals right at the resort, i belive sol vista would be best to rent in the town of Winter Park since you drive right through it. keystone is awsome, there is nothing their you cant go around, multiple trails and some gnarly (but not required) drops and some great wooden featurs and rock gardens. sol vista has some bad ass gaps and jumps, way fast trails and a ton of fun. and WP has 1 DH trail and its fast, and easy. starts with a required 24in. drop, has a section of doubles and some high speed wooden ladder drops, more like jumps at the speed you hit him. they rent kona stinkys at the base.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
When I came out at the bottom of the mountain, there were guys hitting the jumps. Maybe they put up the signs after the rain started to keep the jumps from getting trashed? Just a guess. And, yes, the map did say they were closed.
Mountainboards? hehe