Quantcast

Anyone still have their first MTB??

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I do, and its been ressurected! its my 1988 Specialized Hardrock Comp that i got in 8th grade. Its survived many years, and also got me through some real tough times.... like when my early 90's rockhopper was stolen from a bar, and when i totalled my subaru and had no transport living in portland.... shortly after loosing my rockhopper.... I think i might strip it down and repaint it. Now its turqoise under a rough hammer-rite rattle can grey.

Going to try SS on it first, then if i wuss out put gears on.

Still to be installed tonight:
new rear wheel(that one is shaped like a pringle)
narrower tires that dont rub the frame
seatpost/saddle
v-brakes & levers
short cage ultegra derailler as chain tensioner
water bottle cage in purple anno.. :)

bike:

cranks(note the old school XT flats... wheres my toeclips?)

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Nope, got my second though. 1997 Ground Control AIM, Mukai used to give me a had time for racing DH on it for a full season, decked that sucker out with a Spin front wheel, RISSE Indy C cartridges, Kujo DH tires, Magura Hydro brakes and a shorty stem and I was DH'n man... haha lost most of that junk and made it into a fairly light weight XC bike, too bad its a little small now and the bolt at the shock pivot is ovalizing... kinda sits at home for a while now.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Nope, sold it at the swap meet this February to Curtis for his girlfriend. It was a trusty 2002 Sugar 3 :) With disc breaks(!!) and a huge amount of 2.5" of travel! :p

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
my first is the one i ride, when I ride, which is never......

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Oly whatever you do.........do NOT put a fork on the bike.

If it is anything like my old 88ish DB Ascent it the HT angle will not survive....I had a chopper after throwing a 1.X inch travel SR Duotrac fork on it. :) Just wasn't "suspension corrected geometery" (anyone remember that phrase?)

I guess my first MTB was a Magma from Fred Meyers....with a welded bar stem combo, the triangulated kind....ahhh old school. :)

I know who has my old DB Ascent...but it is so beat up....like jumping 10 stairs (CWU outside teh dramma department) with it (not me, the dork who bought it from me in '94)....I wouldn't dare ride it.

It was yellow with a U-brake under the chainstay and Shimano Exage Mountain groupo :D ....oh and a gel seat :rolleyes:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Snacks said:
Nope, sold it at the swap meet this February to Curtis for his girlfriend. It was a trusty 2002 Sugar 3 :) With disc breaks(!!) and a huge amount of 2.5" of travel! :p
newbie :p

2.5"s of travel! I would have killed for that much travel in college! :D

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Specialzied Rockhopper FS (93 or 94). Sold it to one of the guys at a shop in Chicago....almost got it back but I think he turned it into a single speed instead.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Rhino never fear... I intend to leave it as a punisher to always remeind me why i prefer FS.

I still need to liberate my moms Mtn bike thats hanging in a shed on the coast. its the same era Fat Chance bike with XT everything (pre XTR) with oakley grips and a U brake! I used to hash on it urban style before urban was even a phrase....

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I can't even remember what my first mtb was....I know I had a Stumpjumper, but I don't think that was the first. :think:

First full-suspension was a Heckler though - that I remember. :)

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
I still have my 1986 Battleship Grey Fat Chance from when Chris Chance originally owned the company and before he had made the "Wicked". Awesome bike. Anyone remember Rollercam brakes when they were mounted under the chainstays?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
OrthoPT said:
I still have my 1986 Battleship Grey Fat Chance from when Chris Chance originally owned the company and before he had made the "Wicked". Awesome bike. Anyone remember Rollercam brakes when they were mounted under the chainstays?
Sweet. i know my moms FC was also an original bike by chris. arent those brakes referred to as U brakes? or were the roller cam ones even earlier?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
bibs said:
my best friend has it, butnever rides it...FSR "extreme" it was fun, i kind of miss it and the riding i did on it :)
i remember that one...... and remember having to use moto straps to tighten the headset at monte, and also rememeber a tumble out of the back of a pickup truck... and countless shore trips.....those was good times.

oly said:
i remember that one...... and remember having to use moto straps to tighten the headset at monte, and also rememeber a tumble out of the back of a pickup truck... and countless shore trips.....those was good times.

hahahaah, that was my first DH bike, my first mtb was the XC version ;) butyes,m I miss th eold days...the new bike is for sale...:) Anyone want a Gemini? :( make me a offer (insert spam comments here)

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
bibs said:
yea, its going ot be my some at the races, surfing, hydro races with my brother etc... Whistler but taking pics! :( And money would be nice....

girls are free Oly..ewll up here they are...maybe not
Did you end up getting a lens? Which one(s)?

Five said:
Did you end up getting a lens? Which one(s)?
I go ttwo one is a 50mm f/1.8 and the other is a (cheapy of ebay) 35-80mm f/4.5-5.5? I think, or somthing similar in a bit Im getting a 80-200mm but still researching it all a bit :) For my B-day my dad got me a 1gig card and then i need a MB-d100 battery pack and som eflashes and..and..and..and.. :D Its like crack! Then next fall Ill build a new Gemnini, best feeling bike I have ever owned ;)

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
bibs said:
I go ttwo one is a 50mm f/1.8 and the other is a (cheapy of ebay) 35-80mm f/4.5-5.5? I think, or somthing similar in a bit Im getting a 80-200mm but still researching it all a bit :) For my B-day my dad got me a 1gig card and then i need a MB-d100 battery pack and som eflashes and..and..and..and.. :D Its like crack! Then next fall Ill build a new Gemnini, best feeling bike I have ever owned ;)
Lol - hehe, sorry dude but, ahhhh you sound like a camera geek ;)
What have I done? :sneaky:

ok, I think we've successfully hijacked this thread.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I gave my first mtb to my older brothers wife, it was an 85 scwhinn high siera, black, friction shifters, broke pretty much everything at least once.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
bibs said:
Cory,

You ever check out Kenmore Camera? They have a large selection of used Lenses and stuff....maybe you could find something local?

They are just across LakeCity Way (or whatever they call it thru Kenmore) from the light you take to hit St Eds. I have bought lenses for my camera there....saved some $$$ to boot.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Hey Oly,

My father just reaquired an old Road bike he used to have a couple decades ago....:eek:

It was the first road bike I ever road and couldn't really straddle it then...and can barely now. :o:

He got it with the purchase of his Maico 500cc dirt bike in the early 80's (like '82?) Anyway it iw a European motorcycle and the frame says it was made in Austria. It has motorcycle decals on it and and not much of anything else to distinguish it from another bike.

Maico Black Shadow 10 speed. The components are Autenberger(sp?) Concorde and the derailers say Huret (I think)

It is kind of funny. My dad got rid of it in the lat 80's because the tired never held air and the only pump that could pump up the tires was a pathetic frame pump. (Later on in my biking life I learned the valves were "Presta" :) But we didn't know....it wasn't a Schreader that wsa for sure.) He got it back for free and we spent a few hours fixing the cables and brakes/shifting. The chain was damn near solid rust and with some "magic" penatraiting oil we got it rolling again. It still has the stock reflectors! HUGE reflectors...kinda comical reflectors. One of the nipples had busted so we got a new one and trued up the wheels.....jsut stuff to make it rideable again. The frame itself is lugged steel and there is little to no rust.....over all it was still in good condition.

Though I didn't really own this bike it is wierd to see it back in the garage again......

Talk about retro.....I might ride it on the Centenial trail and show LumberJack the beast...still can't stradle it very well :D

Is there anything wrong with riding a 23ish year old bike? :)

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Well, my first true was a raleigh M-30, but my sister left it on the side of the road and it got stolen. I stil have the frame that really got me into biking though , a sweet K2 sidewinder that wieghs a ton, flexes like a mof, has terrible geometry, has a joke of a shock "DNM fireball" and an integrated headset.. HIGH TECH!!