Quantcast

Anyone use an Ochain thingy?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It gets better - it had a 5th Element shock on it.
My old foes had a pretty low pivot, it was no dhs or 90s thing…but it DID have a curnut shock and at speed in chunky terrain that bike felt like it was constantly trying to snap in half and was about the worst high speed damping ive ever encountered.

Trying to pedal uphill on any loose surface on an old school high pivot would make them break loose easy IME. Side to side flex was bad enough on those old high pivots like Orange and SC.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Talking of fantastic downhill bikes of the past... A dad turned up the other day asking if I could resurrect this for his 10yr old to ride around Edinburgh on and I had to tell him realistically how much it would cost and that even then it'd be a terrible choice of bike for a kid to ride around city streets on.
View attachment 197016
He ended up leaving it out for the bin men. Edinburgh's pretty much bike theft capital and no one's taken it yet.
Idk, that down tube looks big enough to be an e bike. Maybe paint a motor on there.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
How much do new tubes and a seat and post cost these days?
'bout £70 give or take... Which is what the dude paid for it on Gumtree. I understand how you might think it's savable from the pic but the 40 is completely seized solid and manitou revox shock fucked. Brakes and Drivetrain incl (ISIS) BB also fucked. Bearings/bushings also need replaced.
It's an 18yr old old ex rental from Alpine in Inners. It's had a good life.
RIP

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd give it to a homeless guy and pay him to huck shit. Just because you don't have a house doesn't mean you can't be rad.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
get some tubes and a seatpost you slacker
That was an option for sure...
But then what? just tell him his kid will have to just deal with the 10" of undamped rear travel, zero front, unusable brakes and terrible drivetrain etc. etc.?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If it's still there on Monday one of you dipshits can have it for international shipping costs

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That was an option for sure...
But then what? just tell him his kid will have to just deal with the 10" of undamped rear travel, zero front, unusable brakes and terrible drivetrain etc. etc.?
Not all 16 year olds are entitled twats with dialed bikes and season passes at bike parks.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Says quite a lot that you think Scottish inner city kids from poor backgrounds even know where or what a "bike park" actually is

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I spent a decent amount of time explaining to the dad he'd be able to buy a brand new bike far more suitable for his 10yr old to ride around on for a fraction of what it'd cost him to get this thing safe to ride. Nevermind back to a good standard.
I'm a parent you muppet

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Exactly my point you thick cunts.
meet better kids

Says quite a lot that you think Scottish inner city kids from poor backgrounds even know where or what a "bike park" actually is
you're about 200 years old so you know damn well knowledge of bike parks has nothing to do with riding a mountain bike.

You're bouncing back and forth between "all poor scottish kids" which is exactly who we're all saying would be ecstatic to get one of those, and "all kids I would give this to wouldn't appreciate it"

You're just making shit up on the fly to be a contrarian. Quit being so lazy. Find a kid who would appreciate it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
who we're all saying would be ecstatic to get one of those, and "all kids I would give this to wouldn't appreciate it"
As I've been saying. You clearly have no clue at all as to what 16yr old Scottish kids are into. But We'll obviously have to leave that point here as it's fallen on deaf ears and ignorance.

Kid or not. Who the fuck is going to appreciate the gift of a corroded pile of junk in the vague shape of a bicycle which would require many hours of work and many hunderds of pounds spent on it just to be safe to ride? Never mind "HUX OFF ROX"
FFS!

Or let me spell it out to you:
You wouldn't get that thing safely rideable for the cost of an O-chain. But you COULD buy a decent enough perfectly safe to ride brand new hardtail for LESS than the cost of an O-chain.
Perspective mate.

Ps. in the time it's been sat next to the bin moar than 500 kids will have already walked past it.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As I've been saying. You clearly have no clue at all as to what 16yr old Scottish kids are into. But We'll obviously have to leave that point here as it's fallen on deaf ears and ignorance.

Kid or not. Who the fuck is going to appreciate the gift of a corroded pile of junk in the vague shape of a bicycle which would require many hours of work and many hunderds of pounds spent on it just to be safe to ride? Never mind "HUX OFF ROX"
FFS!

Or let me spell it out to you:
You wouldn't get that thing safely rideable for the cost of an O-chain. But you COULD buy a decent enough perfectly safe to ride brand new hardtail for LESS than the cost of an O-chain.
Perspective mate.
oh thanks

As someone who's never met kids or worked on bikes, this deep deep perspective is incredibly valuable, and something I could have never grasped otherwise.

god you're fucking lazy :rofl:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
god you're fucking lazy :rofl:
Oh... hold on. Sorry. WTF was I thinking? I'll just ride 20 miles back to the City to see if it's still there. Hopefully it will be and I can carry all 50lb of it home on my back where I can then spend 4 months grocery budget on replacement parts to repair it so I can feel like the bicycle fairy by donating it to someone elses kid while mine starved.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Is that what that was? I never owned one but they definitely had a 'hold and release' feel to movement. I always thought it was the shitty 'pedaling platform' threshold :rofl:
yeah same, I always thought they were supposed to feel like that? Every change of direction it felt like the shock paused for three seconds. I once rode a Foes with some massive (literally a 4" shaft travel) Curnett shock that felt the same. Horrible bloody things.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If you had to pick between these two to make your suspension better, which would it be?

1) 5th Element shock
2) O-chain

In all seriousness and like others have said, suspension setup is probably the first step before you start buying add-ons like the ochain. On this particular bike, I've tried 4 different shocks (just because). I found my latest, which is the Ohlins TTX22, has been the best in terms of keeping the bike stable through rough stuff, whereas with some of the other shocks I was bouncing all over. An ochain device would have done nothing for me during those times, whereas now if I get one, it'll be a marginal improvement. We'll see....

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you had to pick between these two to make your suspension better, which would it be?

1) 5th Element shock
2) O-chain
3) hardtail

Pedal kickback is real... believe in the science.
.....while ignoring one huge component of the system

My anti-rise starts at about 120% but the big majority of the time it's between 100% and 80%.
LOL

sucker

You're going to make your actual pedaling that matters feel squishy and wasted compressing those elastomers. You know that right?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Once you start pedaling, those elastomers get compressed and stay compressed until you stop applying tension. So you're not squishing them every pedal stroke. In that regard, it's like having a freehub with 8-12 degrees of engagement.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Once you start pedaling, those elastomers get compressed and stay compressed until you stop applying tension. So you're not squishing them every pedal stroke. In that regard, it's like having a freehub with 8-12 degrees of engagement.
I'd imagine they don't stay squished through TDC and BDC

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Once you start pedaling, those elastomers get compressed and stay compressed until you stop applying tension.
sure they do

If there's one thing I know about stand up pedaling is that there's a completely uniform and consistent force applied

You know what has an even lighter resistance to chain forces than those elastomers? You deraileur hanger spring

Last edited: