Quantcast

Anyone use an Ochain thingy?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Bit long for a ringtone..

At 17 I lived in a flat a few doors down from a couple of members of the band the exploited. One of their flatmates pretty much saved my life.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Now why would he have done a silly thing like that? Had he not met you? :D
Funny story. The first time he met me (I was 15yrs old, But looked 19-20 and he'd have been 24ish) he punched me square in the mouth. But after speaking to me bought me a drink to apologise for the misunderstanding. (He thought I had been staring at his Mrs but in actual fact I was just pissed AF and had just been leaning on the bar staring vacantly into space somewhere (I guess) in her vague direction. A good few weeks later I had what looked to be a whitehead (spot) on my lip. Freaked the fuck out when I tried squeezing it and it glinted back at me in the mirror. Turned out to be quite a decent sized piece of his silver ring that had broken off and lodged in my lip, but had healed over until my body rejected it.

Hope hearing that makes you feel a l'il better? :happy:

I was just a young punk kicked out of home young to fend for himself. Sometimes you needed someone to look out for you. Those guys looked after their own.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Funny story. The first time he met me (I was 15yrs old, But looked 19-20 and he'd have been 24ish) he punched me square in the mouth. But after speaking to me bought me a drink to apologise for the misunderstanding. (He thought I had been staring at his Mrs but in actual fact I was just pissed AF and had just been leaning on the bar staring vacantly into space somewhere (I guess) in her vague direction. A good few weeks later I had what looked to be a whitehead (spot) on my lip. Freaked the fuck out when I tried squeezing it and it glinted back at me in the mirror. Turned out to be quite a decent sized piece of his silver ring that had broken off and lodged in my lip, but had healed over until my body rejected it.

I was just a young punk kicked out of home young to fend for himself. Sometimes you needed someone to look out for you. Those guys looked after their own.
1695524150046.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I feel like I just let the entire team down. I had a freehub failure and I couldn't pedal my bike. I should have taken the chain off for superior suspension performance on the downhill.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If your freehub was spinning freely both ways how could your chain possibly be doing any of that pesky pedal kicking ?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Wow, this thread is still going eh?

So one thing I noticed is on the DH bike, I have those STFU chain damper thingies. They work and I like them! The chain doesn't touch the chainstay at all.

After adding the Ochain, I found the chain touches the chainstay between the two STFU chain silencers. I suppose if my derailleur didn't have a clutch, I'd get the same thing going on.
So, on this topic, there were at least a couple of bikes running one of the the STFU "dampers" under the chainstay at Les Gets (looked like Marine and Jackson). Wonder if anyone is going without the derailleur clutch and then using these to keep the chain from banging around too much?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've never seen STAR WARZ. Probably never will.
Do know the story of the trilogy tho. Because nerds.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I know. They're EVERYWHERE. There's no escape from their obsession and inane chat. Even 46 years on.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
So, on this topic, there were at least a couple of bikes running one of the the STFU "dampers" under the chainstay at Les Gets (looked like Marine and Jackson). Wonder if anyone is going without the derailleur clutch and then using these to keep the chain from banging around too much?
I don’t know about Jackson. Marine runs a Saint derailleur with clutch. She uses the STFU for chain slap noise mainly.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I don’t know about Jackson. Marine runs a Saint derailleur with clutch. She uses the STFU for chain slap noise mainly.
Hmmmm....

On the downhill bike, I have the STFU and Ochain but the derailleur is a Sram GX or something. The clutch is non-adjustable.

Whereas on the enduro/trail bike, I also have the STFU system, an I9 Hydra hub and the derailleur is Shimano XT 12 speed. THAT has the adjustable clutch. Given the high engagement of the hub and having the STFU system, I'll back out the clutch and see how things feel. It's been so long we've had clutch derailleurs.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Seth. You weren't even born when it came out.
i get it, between riding your bikes more than any of us (without a helmet!), wrenching on bikes for a living, posting 10ks of comments on several bike forums, playing your console all night AND shagging lots of married women, you clearly had no time to indulge in such profane activities.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Just hadn't seen anyone using one of the dampers under the chainstay until that race so I was curious if there was a reason. Noise is certainly a valid one.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Paul, her mechanic has loads of good ideas.
I was in a shop a couple of weeks back and the guy behind the counter looked me in the eyes while he sticky taped a piece of cock confetti to whatever I was buying.
Turned out he bought a cock confetti bomb as a prank for a co-worker but it went off in his room, so he had little dicks everywhere.
Pro-Flex chainrings FTMFW!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

so the song "beat the bastards" was about you?

:D