Quantcast

Anyone used the IMBA Subaru discount?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used it when I got my WRX. I didn't tell them I had the IMBA deal until after I negotiated my trade in. When they wanted to talk price I just handed them the IMBA letter. At that point I still didn't say I was going to buy until we negotiated financing. They got me a great interest rate and I got $500 factory cash back deal too. It can not be used to even lower the price further after negotiations, it fixes the price. If you are a badass negotiator you coul probably talk them into a deal almost as good as the IMBA price but it just makes things so much easier. Some dealerships add a service fee on top of every car purchase you could still negotiate that out as it pretty much is BS anyway.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm looking into this now, I might be getting a WRX soon because of this.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
This is actually the first car I've bought, so bear with me...

I can go in, negotiate the trade-in I have and then wait till the very end (when he's come down as far as he will on the total price) to pull out the IMBA card?

I know there's some sort of letter that's sent to the dealer about using IMBA on your purchase. Do I have to let them know I'm planning to use the discount right off the bat?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The original IMBA deal was dealer invoice. I think they just worded it differently, and it isn't actually a coupon to get so much off and that there is a set price for each car model.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Subaru's VIP Program allows IMBA members to purchase or lease any new Subaru saving $1,300 - $3,000 off the manufacturer's suggested retail price, without haggling.*

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
DO NOT trade in. Sell your car, go without for a few days, then buy. You will get 1-2k more by selling your car privately.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I can go in, negotiate the trade-in I have and then wait till the very end (when he's come down as far as he will on the total price) to pull out the IMBA card?

I know there's some sort of letter that's sent to the dealer about using IMBA on your purchase. Do I have to let them know I'm planning to use the discount right off the bat?
From what I remember: You have to call IMBA to get the letter, you have to tell them what dealer you plan on buying from. But if that dealer pisses you off you can get another letter for another dealer, that is your negotiating tool if the dealer becomes a dick once they find out you have the IMBA deal. You do not have to disclose to the dealer that you have the letter until you want to. It is generally a good idea to negotiate your trade in before the new car no matter how you plan on negotiating the new car price.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DO NOT trade in. Sell your car, go without for a few days, then buy. You will get 1-2k more by selling your car privately.
I negotiated my trade in on a dark and rainy night. They didn't noticed all the things that made put the car in the crappy category instead of the excellent cagetory. They offered me $500 more than I would have started to ask for when selling on my own. If nothing else it is worth a shot.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Give me 1 min. Full IMBA discount info coming.

Edit: Can't find the link from work comp, will find it when I get home

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

Read it throughly and then read it again. And if you are feeling a little weak, read it one more time. There is a ton of information there but it'll make your purchase a positive experience instead of the gut wrenching disaster it normally is.

Specifically it starts

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car1.htm

Like I said its a ton of reading but you are about to spend a ton of cash.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
From what I remember: You have to call IMBA to get the letter, you have to tell them what dealer you plan on buying from. But if that dealer pisses you off you can get another letter for another dealer, that is your negotiating tool if the dealer becomes a dick once they find out you have the IMBA deal. You do not have to disclose to the dealer that you have the letter until you want to. It is generally a good idea to negotiate your trade in before the new car no matter how you plan on negotiating the new car price.
I know they also send a letter to the car dealer as well as to you. So, playing the card as a surprise seems out of the question.

Was it a substantial discount? It says they discount by car and added accessories.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

Read it throughly and then read it again. And if you are feeling a little weak, read it one more time. There is a ton of information there but it'll make your purchase a positive experience instead of the gut wrenching disaster it normally is.

Specifically it starts

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car1.htm

Like I said its a ton of reading but you are about to spend a ton of cash.

Thanks. Like I said, this is my first experience with buying a car, but I certainly don't plan to go alone.

I wouldn't mind getting an Outback Sport that's pre-owned, but they hold such a good re-sale value that it seems worth paying a little more to get exactly what I want new.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Letter? Who needs a letter? I just told them about the discount and said if I had to wait for them to get a letter, then I'd just wait to buy the car. When you are that deep into the buying process, they don't want you to walk out the door. The sales manager called Subie HQ on the spot to confirm the program.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
you definitely can get more whem you sell your own car, if you can do w/o or have the cash to float.

when you trade in, they can give a great deal on the new car, but then give you squat for the trade in to make up the difference.

I did ok last time...about $9K off sticker

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It really depends on the situation.

You won't save on the sales tax if you sell / buy your car separately. If you trade you only have to pay sales tax on the difference. It really depends on what features your car has - sunroof, leather, etc and they'll give you more versus the plain-jane rental trim that is harder to move.

Also I've found you can get more from your trade if your dealership is also a dealership for the car you are trading in or they do a lot in used cars since they'll probably sell it themselves on their own lot rather than having to send your car elsewhere.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Thanks. Like I said, this is my first experience with buying a car, but I certainly don't plan to go alone.

I wouldn't mind getting an Outback Sport that's pre-owned, but they hold such a good re-sale value that it seems worth paying a little more to get exactly what I want new.
You might want to consider how much of that new value you lose driving it off the lot. While I know sub's hold their value very well, new cars in general depreciate rapidly, and to me that's just money down the drain. There are some great vehicles out there that are almost new, just a year or two off the lot, but someone else has taken the depreciation on them.

gg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I know they also send a letter to the car dealer as well as to you. So, playing the card as a surprise seems out of the question.

Was it a substantial discount? It says they discount by car and added accessories.
I'm sure the dealer got the letter too, they certainly didn't know I was the guy the letter was about until I told them.

When I got mine it was dealer cost. You can check out Edmunds.com for what that price is.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Beth let me know if you need someone to go to the dealer with since Rob is mainly around on the weekends.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Beth let me know if you need someone to go to the dealer with since Rob is mainly around on the weekends.
Thanks, Stosh. I visited the dealer in Ithaca with Rob. One plus was that they're very interested in my trade-in (since it's a college town and they're also a Toyota dealer) and the other is that Rob's family has bought a car from this salesman before.

I'm certainly going to check dealers down here too. I know there's a good one in Poughkeepsie. Any that you've heard are good on our side of the river?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thanks, Stosh. I visited the dealer in Ithaca with Rob. One plus was that they're very interested in my trade-in (since it's a college town and they're also a Toyota dealer) and the other is that Rob's family has bought a car from this salesman before.

I'm certainly going to check dealers down here too. I know there's a good one in Poughkeepsie. Any that you've heard are good on our side of the river?
I'm not to familiar with Subaru's or dealers. The only one I know of is http://www.federssubaru.com/

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Right. I'm not quite ready to buy yet though. I need to get my credit report/ score, look into loan rates, figure out if I want to wait out the 6 months it takes b/f I can use the IMBA discount, and comparison shop!
Listen, most dealerships are going to give you the same deal. The way to achieve that deal is to talk them down. You need to haggle and be aggressive about it. You need to always remember that you if you need to you can walk out of the dealership. Let them chase you!
Like it was said above, get the max for your trade-in that you can and don't sell it outright, that's a f'ing pain and the extra $500 you might get is not worth it in the end.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Listen, most dealerships are going to give you the same deal. The way to achieve that deal is to talk them down. You need to haggle and be aggressive about it. You need to always remember that you if you need to you can walk out of the dealership. Let them chase you!
Like it was said above, get the max for your trade-in that you can and don't sell it outright, that's a f'ing pain and the extra $500 you might get is not worth it in the end.
I agree. Plus, the value of my trade-in in 3k max. I also live alone and need a car every day. I'd gladly give up 1,000 in the end to not have to go through the hassle of a private sale.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Copied from a Subaru site

Here are details about how the program works:
THE SUBARU OF AMERICA (SOA) VIP PARTNERS PROGRAM

Introduction

The VIP Partners Program is a Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) corporate program offering eligible SOA marketing affiliate members the opportunity to purchase or lease new Subaru vehicles at dealer invoice cost through participating Subaru dealerships.

Eligibility:

Any VIP Partners customer must be an active member of the SOA marketing affiliate for a minimum of 6 months. The VIP dealer visit authorization form is valid only for the eligible affiliate member and their spouse or domestic partner residing in the same household (address verification required).

The VIP Partners Program offer is non-transferable and does not extend to the member's relatives such as parents, siblings, children, etc.

VIP Partners customers are limited to two (2) new vehicles within a 12-month time period.

The Dealer Visit Authorization form does not obligate the member to purchase or lease a new Subaru; it does, however, inform the dealership that the member is entitled to VIP pricing.

Procedures

To participate in the VIP Program:

1. Marketing affiliate members must receive an approved VIP Dealer Visit Authorization form PRIOR to visiting a participating Subaru dealer.

2. Members must call their affiliation's membership office.

3. The affiliate membership office will verify the customer's membership status.

4. The member will be asked their name, membership ID number, address, telephone number and choice of participating dealer.

5. The affiliate membership services office employee will log on to the VIP website at www.vip.subaru.com using their affiliate e-mail address. The membership services office will complete the Dealer Visit Authorization form on line and submit it to the VIP Partners Program at SOA for processing.

Upon receipt, SOA will mail the SOA approved Dealer Visit Authorization form directly to the member. As an introduction to the dealer, SOA will also fax a copy of the Dealer Visit Authorization form directly to the dealer. The authorization form is non-transferable and will expire in 45 days from the date of the letter. The member must take the form to the participating dealer indicated on the form. We ask that the member wait until the form is received before visiting Subaru dealers. The form must be presented to the participating participating dealer contact person (Noted on the Dealer Authorization form) upon entry into the dealership.

Dealer Selection

VIP customers select the dealer of their choice, generally based upon customer proximity and convenient servicing. Should the customer not have a dealer preference, SOA will select the closest participating dealer based on the customer's zip code. Customers may visit the Subaru website at www.Subaru.com to locate their closest dealer.

All VIP sales must be conducted by an authorized and participating Subaru dealer. The VIP Program is available in all states except Hawaii.

Pricing

VIP pricing for purchase transactions is based upon dealer invoice cost for the vehicle and factory installed accessories as invoiced and delivered to the dealer by SOA. This is the non-negotiable base price for all customers with proper VIP Program authorization.

The VIP price is further reduced by all applicable regional dealer or customer incentives.

The special pricing under the VIP program cannot be combined with any other Subaru of America, Inc. promotional offers, coupons (such as auto show or internet coupons) or direct mail offers or vouchers (except Subaru MasterCard® SubaruBucks).

The VIP Partners customer will be responsible for all applicable federal, state and local taxes and license and municipality registration fees. Any customary dealer administrative, advertising and/or trade fees are additional.

Leasing

Lease pricing is available based on dealer invoice cost and can be structured with a zero down payment for applicants with an acceptable credit history. A security deposit and first month's payment in advance is required.

Accessory Pricing

For accessories that are added to the vehicle at the factory, the price to the VIP customer is dealer invoice. The dealer will determine the price of any accessories that are added after the vehicle has arrived at the dealership, as the dealer will incur procurement and labor costs to obtain and install such accessories.

Vehicle Availability

All new Subaru models are included in the VIP Program, subject to availability and dealer discretion. At the dealer's election, the Subaru vehicle may be secured from the dealer's new vehicle inventory or ordered from SOA. From time-to-time, new models may be temporarily held from the VIP Program until dealer inventories are sufficient to accommodate VIP customers.

New Subaru vehicles are those never titled, not previously reported sold and generally have less than 100 miles.

Trade-ins

Generally, most dealers will accept trade-ins. The participating dealer determines the value of the trade. As you are purchasing or leasing a new vehicle at dealer cost, you should expect no more than a wholesale offer for your trade. VIP customers with trades should consider the benefit of selling their trade privately.

Financing

Financing arrangements, if any, will be determined in the usual manner with the dealer and will be subject to the standard credit approval practices at the dealership. From time to time, SOA does offer low rate financing on select Subaru models. VIP customers are eligible to take advantage of any special low rate financing offers in effect at the time of purchase should they be available.

Subaru Added Security

The cost of Subaru Added Security contracts will be determined by the dealership and agreed to jointly by the participating dealer and the VIP Partners customer.

Disclaimers

* The special VIP Partners pricing does not apply to sales made prior to receipt of the approved dealer visit authorization form.
* In order to obtain VIP Partners pricing, the member must follow the procedures as outlined herein by possessing a VIP Partners Authorization Form prior to communicating with a dealership. It is not the intention or purpose of the program to interfere with any pricing negotiations currently underway between a dealership and a customer who has previously visited the dealer without the form. In such situations, the VIP Partners Program does not apply.
* Participation in the VIP program recognizes the relationship between Subaru of America, Inc. and the VIP participant. Inclusion in the program is a privilege and accordingly, at its sole discretion, Subaru of America, Inc. may at any time exclude an individual from the VIP program.
* The VIP Partners Program will remain in effect until such time as modified by SOA.

FAQ

Q - What is the VIP Partners Program?

A - The VIP Partners Program is a Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) corporate program designed to allow eligible members of SOA marketing affiliates the ability to purchase or lease new Subaru vehicles through a dealership at a no-haggle price of dealer invoice cost.

Q - How does the VIP Program work?

A - To participate in the VIP Program, an eligible member must request a dealer visit authorization form PRIOR to visiting a dealer. To request a form, the eligible member must contact their membership services office. The membership services office will verify the current membership status of the participant and then forward the request to SOA headquarters for processing. Within a few days, the VIP dealer visit authorization form will be mailed directly to the approved member. The form will include the dealership name, telephone number and contact person. A copy of the VIP form will also be faxed to the participating dealer. The form does not obligate the member to purchase a Subaru. The intention of the form is to alert the dealership to the fact that the customer is entitled to VIP pricing.

Q - Who is eligible to participate in the VIP Program?

A - Any VIP customer must be an active member of the SOA marketing affiliate for a minimum of 6 months. An approved member's spouse and domestic partner residing in the same household are also eligible for VIP pricing (address verification required). The VIP Partners Program offer is non-transferable and does not extend to the member's relatives such as parents, siblings, children, etc.

Q - Are used Subarus also included in the VIP Program?

A - No. The VIP program only applies to new, unused vehicles. New Subaru vehicles are those never titled, not previously reported sold and generally have less than 100 miles.

Q –Can I visit more than one dealer?

A – Under the VIP Program, pricing from dealer to dealer is standardized at dealer invoice, so there is no need to shop around - just choose the participating dealer that is most convenient for servicing.

Q – Will I be able to purchase accessories at dealer invoice price?

A – For accessories that are factory-installed on the vehicle, the price would be dealer invoice. The dealer will determine the price of any accessories that are added after the vehicle has arrived at the dealership, as the dealer will incur labor costs to install such accessories.

Q - Can I lease a new Subaru under the VIP program?

A - Yes, the capitalization cost of the vehicle on the lease will be dealer invoice. Leases can be structured for our VIP customers with an acceptable credit history with a zero down payment. However, a security deposit and first month's payment are required.

Q - Will dealers accept my current vehicle as a trade in under the VIP program?

A - Yes, most dealers will accept trade-ins. The participating dealer determines the value of the trade. Because you are purchasing a new vehicle at dealer cost, you should expect no more than a wholesale offer for your trade. Customers with trades should consider the benefit of selling their trade-in privately.

CONTACT INFORMATION

PHONE: 1-800-VIP-0933 (1-800-847-0933) Hours 8:30 AM to 5 PM Eastern Time
FAX: 856-488-8545
E-MAIL: vipprogram@subaru.com
POSTAL:
Subaru of America, Inc.
c/o VIP Program
P.O. Box 6000
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

11/05

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
1. Marketing affiliate members must receive an approved VIP Dealer Visit Authorization form PRIOR to visiting a participating Subaru dealer.
so does this exclude bluebug from pursuing a sale @ the dealer she's already visited?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Wow a car buying thread that doesn't make me angry. There is some good info in here. To add to it, I would go to

www.kbb.com and value your car using the trade in feature. Do not pick a condition, take the condition quiz. This will give you a very fair market value for your vehicle.

As far as your credit is concerned. Yes pull it and pay the extra $5 for the FICO score
Anything about 720 will most likely qualify you for any subvented (low) rates being offered by the manufacturer. 600-720 and you should be able to negotiate a decent, but not fantastic rate. Below 600 and well... If you have a bad driving record you pay more for insurance don't ya. Expect the same result if you have a FICO score below 600.

Lastly I will just reitterate some of the other suggestions. Do your research first and be prepared to walk out of a dealership if you do not like the terms. If they really want to do business they will call/chase you. That being said, I wouldn't haggle over that last few hundered dollars of a 20K+ transaction if you like the place you are doing business with. $100 dollar difference will net about $1-2 a month on a 60 month financed contract.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
For $25 I'm now a member of IMBA. That means I'd have to wait 6 months if I want the incentive, but I'm glad I joined anyway. It's a good organization. We don't have a local branch, or I would have been a member already.

I wonder if the discount would be worth it? I don't have to have a car in the next 6 months, so I could wait. I'm just wondering if I'd get a good deal after waiting all that time. Is the invoice price the lowest they go?

I have a credit score of 773, so I plan to shop around for a low rate.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You could always try going to the dealer and saying you want to buy a car but will wait 6 months unless they cut you a similar deal, be prepared and show them the details of the partner plan. They may be willing to deal to ensure the deal earlier in the year, and like MTB_ROB_FL said, if they hold back a few hunnert it really isn't that big a deal. A little research can tell you what the dealer cost actually is.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
For $25 I'm now a member of IMBA. That means I'd have to wait 6 months if I want the incentive, but I'm glad I joined anyway. It's a good organization. We don't have a local branch, or I would have been a member already.

I wonder if the discount would be worth it? I don't have to have a car in the next 6 months, so I could wait. I'm just wondering if I'd get a good deal after waiting all that time. Is the invoice price the lowest they go?

If you can buy a car "at" invoice, you have done a good job. That isn't to say that people can't get a better deal, but it would be uncommon.

Are you buying the new car out of want or need? 6 months is a long time, the market will be different for sure. September/October is hit or miss in the automotive industry. Dealers are anticipating the new model year. Therefore if they have done a good job their 2007 (in this case) inventory will be low. So if you are looking for something specific, you will not be in a great position to negotiate. On the other hand if they have done a bad job of managing their inventory, they will have a buttload of stuff available. This in turn will probably lead to a better deal for you.

773 is an excellent score. Go to your Bank and or credit union and get prequalified for a loan. That way you are armed with the knowledge of what you can get, and then have the dealership compete for that side of your business as well. For the most part they should be able to beat whatever rate your bank or credit union can offer.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

I think Rob is right. Once you figure out what the deal would be I bet if you walked in they'd probably give it to you instead of waiting 6 months.

Check Capitalone.com or eloan.com for the financing. Its super easy and their rates are usually the best. I applied to capital one and had the blank check in hand with no obligation until I actually used the check. Of course the dealer may have a better rate but at least you don't have to count on that.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
You want to negotiate down toward the invoice price, correct?

And if I use the IMBA discount, I'd get the invoice price minus the discount?

That seems pretty good actually, if I'm reading correctly.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think Rob is right. Once you figure out what the deal would be I bet if you walked in they'd probably give it to you instead of waiting 6 months.

Check Capitalone.com or eloan.com for the financing. Its super easy and their rates are usually the best. I applied to capital one and had the blank check in hand with no obligation until I actually used the check. Of course the dealer may have a better rate but at least you don't have to count on that.
I did the same thing when I bought my car. The dealer's finance guy busted his ass to beat the interest rate I walked in with and I went with the dealer's loan.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson

Isn't it bad for your credit rating to shop around and apply until you get the lowest rate?