Quantcast

anywhere in NE with lift access and good trails open during the week?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'm coming home for 10 days in june and I'm hoping to hit pkill but with them only being open on the weekends it could be tough. Got a bachelor party and a wedding both weekends that I am home. So, if possible I would like to show a buddy how much fun lift access riding. Is there anywhere whithin a 3 hour drive of western ma that is open during the week?

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
The small lift at Jiminy Peak appears to be open during the week. If I remember correctly from last year, it gives you access to 4 or 6 DH runs. From their Web site:

The Grand Slam chairlift will operate from 11am to 6pm on weekends beginning May 28 through June 12 and daily beginning June 18. The Berkshire Express chairlift to the summit will operate from noon to 5pm, Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays, beginning July 2nd. Mountain biking hours are from 11am to dusk, and lift fees are $22 for the day.
Might also check the Mountain Creek/Diablo, Mt Snow and Killington Web sites.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
tonyhawk said:
The small lift at Jiminy Peak appears to be open during the week. If I remember correctly from last year, it gives you access to 4 or 6 DH runs. From their Web site:

Might also check the Mountain Creek/Diablo, Mt Snow and Killington Web sites.
thanks, I'll check out Jiminy Peak. If you guys had to pick between that and pkill which place is more fun? Diablo sounds cool but is definitely too far away. I've heard that Mt Snow and Killington are not worth it for DH type riding.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Last year was my first taste of DHing, and the only places I went were Jiminy and Killington. I was at Jiminy almost every weekend and loved it. Lots of rocky, technical riding on tight, twisty trails lined with trees. I went to Killington once and would describe it more as lift-assisted trail riding than DH. It was fun, had some wide-open high speed descents, a few technical trails, but there was some up-hilling involved. If you're in the area, check it out, but I wouldn't go out of my way.

Heading to Diablo tomorrow for opening day. From what I've heard so far, it may be worth the trip, even though its longer (I'm told a little over 2 hrs from central CT). I plan to try PKill and Mt Snow this year.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
During the week i think jiminy peak is it. The lift is very slowwwwwwwww!!!!!! and you only get about half the mountain, but on the plus side the trails can be alot of fun. What dates are you gonna be here? If the riding is on a wednesday or sunday i may be able to show you around the mountain(try to go to plattekill!). Just keep in mind that if jiminy only has the double chair open it is slowww!, so slow that you look at the ground and think you may be able to walk faster.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
it could definitely be on a wednesday. as the date gets closer I'll let you know, it woulbe be cool to have a local show us the goods. jiminy is sounding like it could be fun. is it dead there during the week? do they rent bikes there or is there somwhere nearby that does?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've heard it's only XC riding at mt snow. I'm looking for more DH/FR type stuff.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
mount snow is like lite DH

thats a hard choice between mountsnow & jim.peak's little lift

if I was you I'd do it up right & hit Plattekill on a w/e

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
mount snow is like lite DH

thats a hard choice between mountsnow & jim.peak's little lift

if I was you I'd do it up right & hit Plattekill on a w/e
Jiminy's little lift has some decent stuff. Much more beginner/sport than expert/pro though.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Last year I had the pleasure of downhilling at Attitash, Jiminy Peak, and Plattekill. From what I remember, I like Attitash the best. Jiminy was steep and wet, with the trails not being very techinical. More of a get behind your seat and slide your way down the mountain sorta ride, with a few flowy trails mixed in. Plattekill was the same way, except instead of being steep and wet, it was steep and covered in loose rocks. It was damn near impossible to stop on that mountain once you got to speed. The trails were pretty good, I was racing that weekend and did a little bit of freeriding as well. The rest of the mountain has lots to offer and I would recommend it. Attitash though is by far my favorite. They have tons of trails there most of which can be ridden by the average (like myself) rider. The trails are technical, and most weave through trees and have a good deal of rocks which makes things interesting. Few trails, Holy Chute for one have some very steep sections which are a fairly good challenge, but nothing that is outrageous. Then you have Linkin Logs which is a bunch of trees and bridges to ride on. Overall there are tons of trails which range from fast and flowy to steep and technical. If you can make it up to Attitash I would highly recommend it.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I had a good time at Jiminy, although there were a couple of things that sucked.

Their rental shop is kind of a joke right now, and they don't seem too happy with the mountain. The rental shop is being run by a completely different company than the mountain, and they seem to have some issues with each other. But most people probably don't rent there so it won't be a problem. The manitou stance forks absolutely suck.

No one there could really give us a straight answer as to when the "main" lift for biking would be open. We were riding a smaller lift that only serviced about 6-8 trails and didn't go all the way up the mountain.

For the trails that I did get to ride I would say they are pretty fun. Not very technical but they pretty good flow. Assuming the rest of the trails that we didn't get to ride were more of the same, with hopefully some more challenging stuff I would have no problem paying them for a seson pass, which I think is only $160 or somewhere around there.