Quantcast

Apartment 12-J, or how I learned to loathe roaches

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That must tell you that it's not a good situation if the housing is ordered to be shut down. I could see that being a giant ordeal during the year though....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ah-HAAA!! So you've abandoned your "sustainable communities" theory!!!
I was writing to my architect friend that whatever building we end up with will probably score very low on the LEED scale: leaky windows, inefficient, old appliances, water-wasting fixtures, and gas-sucking heaters, no doubt. However, we will be pretty close to public transport and will be using it regularly (my wife on the Long Island RR to get into the city for grad school, and me to get to work on the days when the weather prevents me from riding the catalyzed, 45-50 mpg motorcycle).

In our case there definitely exist nice neighborhoods and houses that meet all my ideal criteria... but we can't afford either of them, and certainly won't be paying out of our own pockets to retrofit a house that someone else owns.

He could have just stayed there and had a built in renewable food resource....
:rofl: :think:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In response to this thread, I'd like to propose a new title for toshi. In line with his current "Harbinger of Doom" title, how about the mods change his title to "Condemner of Housing" or "Residence Destroyer" or something along those lines. I mean, it's not every day you single handedly get an entire housing facility scheduled for demolition.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You did the right thing. Those pics were pertty bad and I could definitely could see the Admin getting it taken care of if they truly didn't know what was going on.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
In response to this thread, I'd like to propose a new title for toshi. In line with his current "Harbinger of Doom" title, how about the mods change his title to "Condemner of Housing" or "Residence Destroyer" or something along those lines. I mean, it's not every day you single handedly get an entire housing facility scheduled for demolition.
"The Evacuator"?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
"i wreck sh!t"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) We moved into a 3-br + shop + garage house on Oct 5. Never again.

2) The closing of the housing complex to which 12-J (and my old apartment, 9-J) belong is now official, emphasis below mine:

[Hospital group letterhead]

October 7, 2010

Dear Resident Physician:

We believe you have heard that [hospital group] is planning a major renovation of the [main] campus. The project includes a complete renovation of the existing resident housing and construction of a new apartment building for resident that will include lounge and study areas.

This major demolition and construction activity is scheduled to begin July 2011. Unfortunately, this project will require all residents presently renting apartments in the on-campus housing complex to move out by June 30, 2011. We realize that finding and relocating to another home is a difficult and stressful experience for our residents and their families and we regret this action has to be taken.

However, the need for new housing is so strong that this decision to close the complex and proceed with a full scale redevelopment has to be made. Many of you have repeatedly advised us of the repair needs connected with the rental units and our concern for your safety and wellness, and that of future residents, has also contributed to this decision.

[Hospital group] administration is presently working with [large real estate firm] to find available rental property in the [locale] that can be offered to residents. [etc.]

Sincerely,

[Executive Vice President of Medical Affairs]
[Dean of Academic Affairs]

owentking

Chimp
Mar 28, 2010
Mountains of Rock
Should have fvcked with the crusty gas stove hook up and burnt the place down. I hate roaches, so I live in a place where its to damned cold for them to survive.