Quantcast

Apple loves MTB apparently

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
haha was just going to post this myself.

the ammount of people that will view those images is probably more than will buy all mountain bike magazines this year combined haha.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Just saw this on the site, posted it on PB, and saw this here.
Apple has done this before, some of their ads for final cut in Macworld had screenshots of videos of guys riding in Moab. I guess Apple employees are young and active, don't see ads like that much from Microsoft.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Millions will see them. Barely any will even notice what the screengrab is of, and of the few that do - apart from people who are already bikers - ZERO will care. Shame! :)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The new books look good, refined, but imo doesn't make the late model books look sad.

1. I'll take a tactile mouse button any day... might be a moot point for those using a dedicated mouse. That said, I remember using the mighty mouse and getting used to not having a tactile button... that was until the mouse ball crudded up and I chucked it. hmm.

2. I like the 2 firewire ports on the late-model book. a usb port on either side is also kinda nice. The new version is probably cleaner.

- d

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Ditch the new screens! I liked the Matt screen because no matter where it was at there was never reflections on it......

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ditch the new screens! I liked the Matt screen because no matter where it was at there was never reflections on it......
Im iffy on the screen - looks bling, but like you said - glare could be a killer.

The pad, I dont know, I hoped for 2 buttons (never happen), not removing buttons, but that Chiclet keyboard is for the birds.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The new books look good, refined, but imo doesn't make the late model books look sad.

1. I'll take a tactile mouse button any day... might be a moot point for those using a dedicated mouse. That said, I remember using the mighty mouse and getting used to not having a tactile button... that was until the mouse ball crudded up and I chucked it. hmm.

2. I like the 2 firewire ports on the late-model book. a usb port on either side is also kinda nice. The new version is probably cleaner.

- d
Dump I agree but i am an apple fan boy so i gotta say it...id vote for usb's surrounding the whole computer...<3 usb...:happydance:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
i had a pc laptop for about 2-3 years with a shiny screen... it was mildly annoying if the room was bright, if I had a light shirt on or if I was looking at something that was mostly dark/black.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
They look great but are overpriced and underspecd for what what they have replaced.
Macbooks have gone up....WTF
Poor show apple.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
For looking cool at the coffee shop in plaid pants while you stare at your mini, yeah, probably the best for that.
haha.. sounds like somebody's been dipping into the Haterade..

a while back i used to share that sentiment, but after working with any and all types of computers and operating systems, I've come to realize that quite frankly they all suck

so, you see.. it's like the presidential elections of the past decade.. it's not about which will get the job done better, it's about which one sucks the least

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
The glossy screen is annoying 10% of the time, but awesome and worth it the other 90%. Just don't plan on watching any movies outside :D I'd get it again.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
haha.. sounds like somebody's been dipping into the Haterade..

a while back i used to share that sentiment, but after working with any and all types of computers and operating systems, I've come to realize that quite frankly they all suck

so, you see.. it's like the presidential elections of the past decade.. it's not about which will get the job done better, it's about which one sucks the least
With Apple, I drink gallons of Haterade, and use aggrivation and annoyance to wipe my mouth. I hate that goddam company. :)

But you are right. It very much is a "whole sucks less" choice. That said, my current system is so goddam awesome, I could poop.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just saw this on the site, posted it on PB, and saw this here.
Apple has done this before, some of their ads for final cut in Macworld had screenshots of videos of guys riding in Moab. I guess Apple employees are young and active, don't see ads like that much from Microsoft.
microsoft's ad agency may suck but that doesn't mean their employees aren't young and active. most of my ski buddies (back when i had time to ski) were from microsoft.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Its still overpriced and underwhelming, no matter what they put on the screen.
All I know is when I specced out a Lenovo vs. Mac for ~1g, the Macbook w/ education discount was cheaper with better specs and software. Still going strong after a year of daily use, no glitches at all so far, fast enough for CS3, etc.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
/ education discount
There is the key right there. Apple essentially gives their products away to any one connected to a school in any way. If you think about it, it is pretty effective....much like McDonalds and happy meals.

a ton of freshman college kids get macs because they are sooooooo much cheaper than any thing else....then they spend the next four or so years learning all the software and functionality in the mac world. Hard to change to a different platform if all your knowledge is with one...they have been indoctrinated.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yes, all images are Forrest's. I talked with Roskopp this afternoon as I was curious and they both looked familiar. Stoked for those guys, and for MTB as a whole. As mentioned, more people will see these images than everyone who reads mtb mags combined.

Last edited:

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
With Apple, I drink gallons of Haterade, and use aggrivation and annoyance to wipe my mouth. I hate that goddam company. :)
that sounds like a poor use of your energy

But you are right. It very much is a "whole sucks less" choice. That said, my current system is so goddam awesome, I could poop.
Nice...what OS?

All I know is when I specced out a Lenovo vs. Mac for ~1g, the Macbook w/ education discount was cheaper with better specs and software. Still going strong after a year of daily use, no glitches at all so far, fast enough for CS3, etc.
even if macs are more expensive, isn't it kind of irrelevant? If you're a Mac guy, you're not going to lose sleep over a small price difference to run OS X. It's just not an option.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
Precisely. I will pay more for a better user experience.
better....worse...it's subjective. you and i don't mind paying a few nice dinners difference for a machine we'll make our living off of for years. if a windows machine were more expensive, a windows person wouldn't mind either.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
There is the key right there. Apple essentially gives their products away to any one connected to a school in any way. If you think about it, it is pretty effective....much like McDonalds and happy meals.

a ton of freshman college kids get macs because they are sooooooo much cheaper than any thing else....then they spend the next four or so years learning all the software and functionality in the mac world. Hard to change to a different platform if all your knowledge is with one...they have been indoctrinated.
it's only 10%, you fail hater.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
i wish my classmates had drank the apple kool aid when i was in college. i don't enjoy ****ing with computers and i really didn't enjoy fixing my friends/girlfriends PC's. Convinced most of them to switch now and I don't have that problem anymore.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
better....worse...it's subjective. you and i don't mind paying a few nice dinners difference for a machine we'll make our living off of for years. if a windows machine were more expensive, a windows person wouldn't mind either.
While I agree with the first part, I would have to disagree with the second part. Using windows is just what most people are "used" to. Most people who go to macs do so as a decision due to user experience. I'm not so sure a majority of windows users would pay more for the windows experience. A vocal few sure, but not a majority as you see with most mac users.

i wish my classmates had drank the apple kool aid when i was in college. i don't enjoy ****ing with computers and i really didn't enjoy fixing my friends/girlfriends PC's. Convinced most of them to switch now and I don't have that problem anymore.

I told friends family that if they didn't move to macs, I was no longer their on call tech support. Not worth my time and effort repairing/explaining things that could have been avoidable.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
even if macs are more expensive, isn't it kind of irrelevant? If you're a Mac guy, you're not going to lose sleep over a small price difference to run OS X. It's just not an option.
Not true. My desktop is an AMD machine running XP because it made the most sense for what I was doing. If money was no issue I'd run a Macbook Pro and a G5 w/ a Cinema Display, but that's not very realistic so I buy whatever is most practical and functional.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
While I agree with the first part, I would have to disagree with the second part. Using windows is just what most people are "used" to. Most people who go to macs do so as a decision due to user experience. I'm not so sure a majority of windows users would pay more for the windows experience. A vocal few sure, but not a majority as you see with most mac users.
i have friends who make their livings on their computer and have used both and one or two have stayed with windows (IT guys working on setting up windows networks). most of my developer friends have moved to os x.

Not true. My desktop is an AMD machine running XP because it made the most sense for what I was doing. If money was no issue I'd run a Macbook Pro and a G5 w/ a Cinema Display, but that's not very realistic so I buy whatever is most practical and functional.
missing my point? AMD desktop &#8800; pro level laptop AND desktop w/ high end display? if money were no object, I'd have a macbook air in a private jet and 1000 virgins