Quantcast

Apple season...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think my favorites are Braeburn and Pink Lady. Cameo and Fuji can be decent if they are from the right area. I've had few various heirloom type apples that were pretty good too.

I prefer New Zealand apples over Washington.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I think my favorites are Braeburn and Pink Lady. Cameo and Fuji can be decent if they are from the right area. I've had few various heirloom type apples that were pretty good too.

I prefer New Zealand apples over Washington.
those are all great apples. if you enjoy new zealand apples have you tried the pacific rose or jazz? they're both varieties developed in NZ that I think are really tasty.

I prefer pacific rose, gala, or cameo's fresh off the tree. I don't really enjoy apples in the store unless they're organic and from the current season. maybe try looking for orchards around your area to get a better, fresher apple than what your getting out of washington.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
have you tried the pacific rose or jazz? they're both varieties developed in NZ that I think are really tasty.

I prefer pacific rose, gala, or cameo's fresh off the tree. I don't really enjoy apples in the store unless they're organic and from the current season. maybe try looking for orchards around your area to get a better, fresher apple than what your getting out of washington.
I think I've had Jazz but I'm not sure about Pacific Rose. Royal Gala's are good too - forgot about them. I use to buy apples all the time and then it seemed the supermarkets switched suppliers and the apples weren't as fresh - didn't taste as good, bruises, etc so I basically stopped the habit. I am pretty picky about getting fresh food, especially if its produce to be eaten on its own.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
it seemed the supermarkets switched suppliers and the apples weren't as fresh - didn't taste as good, bruises, etc so I basically stopped the habit.
yea, alot of apples these days have been sitting in cold storage for a little less than a year before theyre put out in markets. I think they taste horrible, but I grew up on an apple orchard so I have pretty high standards for my fruit. the whole wax coating/cold storage taste really turns me away from buying fruit