Quantcast

Are carbon bars worth it on a rigid?

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
So I recently switched from my trusty Oury's to thinner lock-ons, and although I'm liking the grip thickness, I'm missing the dampening that the Oury's give.

I know I'd like some, but I'm just having a hard time justifying the expense of carbon bars.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
Any good quality carbon bar will be much stronger than an aluminum bar. Until you get a nice deep gouge in them.

I recently switched from a Mary bar to whatever the top end FSA bars are called. besides the obvious bend difference, then FSA's had a more rigid and stiff feel. I tried some Answer carbon bars which were the opposite, a very plush feel to them.

I love my bars, but would like to get a fork with some more give to it. I'm just running a cheap steel rigid at the momment.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
Thanks for your input guys.

So I decided to pull the trigger and go from my Easton Vice stem and EA50 bars to the Salsa Pro Moto Low Rise XC 10x6 degree bars in a 680mm, as well as a Race Face Evolve XC stem.

I got them mounted up last night and just pushing down on them I noticed a significant increase the 'looks flexy' coefficient. A lot more than than I was expecting, but I stayed with the 25.4mm for just that reason.

Anyway, holy crap. These things are night and day in the dampening department. As soon as I was rolling on the gravely entrance to the trail I could feel a difference. Throughout the ride I was very pleased with what seemed to be about a half inch of extra travel without any of that wet noodle feeling I was nervous about. My control was still just as sharp, and it was not at all bouncy. In fact, it seemed to take a little of the bounce out. At the end of it all my hands were more comfortable, and that was my goal.

My opinion so far is that yes they're worth it on a rigid. We'll see through more 'testing', but so far they've given me what I was looking for.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Good call.

When I rode a fully rigid ss, I ran an Easton Monkey Lite DH carbon riser bar with a 70mm RF Deus stem (31.8 clamp) and some ESI Chunky grips. Definitely a whole lot better in the damping of trail vibrations.

Try the ESI Chunky grips if you still feel you want more smoothness in the hands on rough terrain.

skier318

Chimp
Jan 19, 2010
I like the pedals you have on this bike. But it doesnt look like you ever ride this thing offroad. What are you wasting those tires for? They are www.crankbros.com right?

Thanks for your input guys.

So I decided to pull the trigger and go from my Easton Vice stem and EA50 bars to the Salsa Pro Moto Low Rise XC 10x6 degree bars in a 680mm, as well as a Race Face Evolve XC stem.

I got them mounted up last night and just pushing down on them I noticed a significant increase the 'looks flexy' coefficient. A lot more than than I was expecting, but I stayed with the 25.4mm for just that reason.

Anyway, holy crap. These things are night and day in the dampening department. As soon as I was rolling on the gravely entrance to the trail I could feel a difference. Throughout the ride I was very pleased with what seemed to be about a half inch of extra travel without any of that wet noodle feeling I was nervous about. My control was still just as sharp, and it was not at all bouncy. In fact, it seemed to take a little of the bounce out. At the end of it all my hands were more comfortable, and that was my goal.

My opinion so far is that yes they're worth it on a rigid. We'll see through more 'testing', but so far they've given me what I was looking for.

skier318

Chimp
Jan 19, 2010
Btw, those Salsas are **** bars. ZERO engineering was done to design or manufacture them on Salsa's behalf.

Try something like Easton Monkey Lite

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
lockons and carbon bars are a bad idea.

carbon bars on a carbon fork 29er turn the bike into a noodle

carbon fork and alum bars seem to do the trick

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
lockons and carbon bars are a bad idea.

carbon bars on a carbon fork 29er turn the bike into a noodle

carbon fork and alum bars seem to do the trick

:think::think::think::think:

I had no issues running lock ons on a carbon bar. You just have to torque them to spec and not go hamfist and over tighten.

Again, sounds like operator.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
:think::think::think::think:

I had no issues running lock ons on a carbon bar. You just have to torque them to spec and not go hamfist and over tighten.

Again, sounds like operator.

Nope, sounds like you are thinking twice. the clamp takes out the natural flex of the carbon fibre causing it to snap or develop weaker areas.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
No issues running Monkey Lites on my Unit...and I used Ritchey grips...no lock ons, too complicated for me!
I did switch back to Race Face Air lites though, Monky Lites not wide enough for my shoulders.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
Following up, these bars are the nutz.

They have just the right amount of flex for the technical terrain I ride and at the end of the day my hands and wrists are happy. Too bad I can't say the same for my knees, but that's a different story. They're also wide enough to get good torque on during climbs.

The lock on grips are very necessary. I used to run Oury grips (and others) and they would migrate inwards no matter what. Tightened these to spec and there are no worries. No manufacturer's warning about it and if you don't think they're designing carbon bars with that in mind you're a(n) .......