Quantcast

are there adapters for hope big un rear ---> 6bolt disc (hayes) rotors?

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
I have a hope big un front hub. If you call hope they will sell you a hayes rotor with a 5 bolt pattern. mine was $44 + shipping for an 8" rotor.

however, I had to do 2 things to make it run right.

1. shave some material off my caliper mount because the rotor bolts were contacting the mount due to the larger hub...don't know if this is nesesary for a rear hub.

2. had to put small washers under the rotor in order to space it out a bit so it would center in my hayes caliper. the hayes caliper did not have enough adjustment to make up for the different offset of the hub. I got the washers at homedepot, they are really small.

pm me if you have any questions....

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by blacky
like to try this burly looking hub but prefer hayes brakes.
Why exactly does a burly hub matter, especially if you need an adapter or special rotor to work with your brakes?

The Bulbs are a great hub if you'd like a nice Hope. I love mine; they're convertible, and they're cheaper than King/Hadley. You will have longer spokes, I suppose, than the high-flange Big 'un, but I think that's pretty much an immaterial point, esp. in the face of the rotor difficulties and non-standard mounting patterns.

Just my Internet 2 cents...go with what ya like...

MD

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
they repalce them without a fuss which is nice.

thanks for the suggestion on the ordering the rotor form hope.

someone said the internals are the same with bulbs and big'uns? true?

spacing aside, why wouldn' the woodman adaptor work both ways?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by blacky
they repalce them without a fuss which is nice.

thanks for the suggestion on the ordering the rotor form hope.

someone said the internals are the same with bulbs and big'uns? true?

spacing aside, why wouldn' the woodman adaptor work both ways?
They are the same internals. Hope trivia.................Bulb stands for Big Un's Little Brother. The adaptor isn't threaded where the 6 bolt rotor mounts.