Quantcast

Argyle 318 Disassembly

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
So, this is what my fork looks like right now. Long story short, I was just going to lower it, but the fork ended up getting compressed and now I cant separate the uppers and the lowers.

I've ended up completely removing everything inside the fork, and the uppers still will not budge. Any ideas on whats going on?
Thanks

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
So you have taken out the two rods that screw to the lowers, and the fork won't come apart? Check if the bridge got stuck in the fork crown, that might be preventing it from extend again... AFAIK, the fork isn't designed to get that much compression.

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
Stanchions should be fine, and yea Ive completely removed the innards of both legs the spring, compression cylinder deal and the two rods, rebound and the rod the spring sits on.

For a proper fork how easily should the uppers and lowers slide out? Since the fork wasn't ever designed to go this low, did it catch on something? I just dont understand how that would be possible since the uppers should be smooth all the way through, right?

If indeed there is no recourse at this point, Im just going to jam a vice between the axle and crown and try to brute force it open.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I think that's got to be it. The lowers should just slide off with minimal effort at this point.
yup.
they should slide off really easy if nothing else is holding them in place.

considering they are steel stanchions and its a DJ fork, i´d bet the stanchions are bent.
they dont have to be visibly bent to get stuck like that... the tolerances in the bushings are pretty small, so even a very slight curvature would be enough....