Quantcast

Argyle vs. 4x

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
So, I'm debating which new fork to buy for my hardtail. My two choices right now are the 2007 4x and the Argyle 318. Each are similar in price.

I like the motion control of the argyle better, but the 10mm more travel on the 4x is nice. I plan on using it for both dirt jumping and dual slalom. Has anybody ridden both and compared them?

I weigh 140 pounds and am a pretty smooth rider. I shouldn't have to worry about breaking either.

Mikey_C

Chimp
Jul 19, 2007
unless you already got your hands on an 07 4x you will have a hard time coming across one. 07 4x have been out of stock at all distributors for a while now...just an fyi

your best bet would be an 08 dj1 if you want something in that price range as the rc3 has bumped the price of the 4x up quite a bit. the 08 dj1 is basically the same internals as the 07 4x.

And i am a marz guy all the way so my opinion is biased.

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Depends on how much adjustability you want. 4x if you want it nice and simple, argyle if you like messing with your fork often for different conditions.

freshkid

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
I got an argyle 318 a couple of weeks and it rode real nice until the steerer tube bent...heard this is quite common on these forks.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Ive got a 318 argy on my ToP been bullet proof Im 6ft 95kgs
Ive downhilled this bike, DJ, and generally just thrash her, Ive had no issues with steerer or stuck down issues, out of my 4 forks I love this puppy its so simple and stiff.

Recently it was put to the test, while I was flying down a downhill jump trail in weekend and was able to nail a dood riding DH with a Fox 40 a good rider too, he came up to me and said man you were flying on your SS HT, think he and I were both surprised how quick ya can go, admittledly landing on the transitions helped pump me into the next sections I struggled to keep up with him later in the real narl but he still couldn't shake me much to his disgust, he did do a 15fr to flat which I bypassed though, my bung knee couldn't handle that but Im sure the argle could have :monkeydance: