Quantcast

armed while riding?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
llkoolkeg said:
Most of time I hear of bad things happening on a bike trail, it is one in an urban area. When I lived by the W&OD Trail in Arlington, there were several assaults, robbings and rapes along its length each year, and that occurring with bike patrol officers cruising the trail network. Where I ride now, the only things you hear about are the occasional body being found or clandestine anthrax lab being sought. :rolleyes:

...and no, I'm not joking.
Hahah!
You're not joking either.

I remember when I went riding w/ you guys and we rode by "anthrax pond" and I was all "Why is it called that?" then you guys told me about it and I was like "Great, lets get the hell out of here!"

Anyway, that was an awesome day of riding at the shed, btw.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
BurlyShirley said:
Hahah!
You're not joking either.

I remember when I went riding w/ you guys and we rode by "anthrax pond" and I was all "Why is it called that?" then you guys told me about it and I was like "Great, lets get the hell out of here!"

Anyway, that was an awesome day of riding at the shed, btw.
It was awesome, indeed, and was again this past Sunday even with temps in the high 90s. After two shuttle runs, I was already self-medicating with Yuengling and, well, the ususal.

Since you were last here, the 'shed has been getting tamer. Multi-acre lots are being sold left and right along Gambrill Park Road and I fear that the City of Frederick may decide that it is more trouble than it's worth to continue to manage as a wilderness area. Subdividing and selling off lots for private development are bound to prove an attractive option to city managers given the notoriety the place has garnered over the past 10 years, for Dr. Hollowill's Submersible Anthrax Lab, several discovered human bodies, etc. People almost always think we're lying or exaggerating until they research it themselves. :)

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I Are Baboon said:
A woman was murdered several years ago jogging along a trail at the place I ride most often. The place is in the middle of suburbia...certainly not miles out in the woods. Still, I don't carry a gun when I ride because a) I don't own a gun, and b) I'd probably crash, causing the gun to discharge and blow one of my nuts off.
I'm sure it happens, but I doubt she would have been any better off with a gun.

I just find the notion a little ridiculous. I know every guy has his little action hero fantasies, but let's be realistic...you're biking along with your buddies, and some guy jumps out on to the trail with a gun and tells you to give him your wallet...now, with a gun pointed at you, you tuck and roll, while taking your gun out of your camelbak, deactivating the safety, and shoot him dead before he can pull the trigger?

Face it, if someone is going to try to mug you in the woods they're going to catch you by surprise, and unless you're Billy The Kid, you're not going to have time to get out whatever weapon you may have anyway.

If you're biking with friends, as you should be, the likelihood of anyone attempting something like that is minimal. Just give him your damn wallet, then when he's out of sight, call the cops on your cell. If you're out in the woods they'll be waiting at the trialhead to pick him up by the time he gets there. You get your wallet back, he gets arrested, nobody gets shot.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Like I said, the above is all well and good for most places. However, in some of the places I have lived or have been having your gun with you is not a suggestion, its a mandatory thing.

Normally when riding I wear mine either on my hip or on my thigh, depending on where I am riding regarding legalities of open carry, that way should it need to come out it is just a single motion away.

I'd rather have it and not need it. Besides, the extra weight of my glock is a training aid, right?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I don't ride strapped...but a while back I had a friend forward me this related story:
http://www.gunatics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551&highlight=bike

First I'd like to say that I am already a member of this forum and that this is a new username to hide my identity. Moderators please respect the privecy. PLEASE.

I was riding my toward one of the well know trail heads in my city... In order to get to the trail head you have to have to ride through a pretty dark parking lot. It was about 8pm, so it was getting dark, I was trying to make it home before it got too dark. Anyway, So as I cruise through the parking lot some guy in a white shirt jolts at me, grabs my arm and brings me to the groud. Toook me a second to reazile what was happenining. My feet were still clipped into the pedals, and all I could hear is "Take his bike:, "Kick his ass!:.... Alll within those moments I was yelling "Calm down, you got the wrong guy!". THey weren't phased, one guy looked like he had a bat, or a stick, or something, the other three were bent on stealing my bike (which was quite expensive). The only other option I could think of to end this situatuion was to pull out my Glock 27, One round sent waves through everyone. Almost as time had stood still, in a panic they all took off running, I was left there with a pistol in my hand, a scrape on my shoulder, and my bike laying on the ground. I aimed for a giant compost heap, I had no intent on shooting anyone of them. I got back on my bike and BOOKED HOME faster than I ever hace,

Sorry, I can;t reveal my real name here, but I had to share that with you guys. Probably one of the craziest thinks to ever happen to me. Feel free to post this on other furoums. Teach these guys a lesson!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Like I said, rather have it and not need it.
But if I do need it, then I will keep to the accepted doctrines of the use of deadly force. The above illustrates that he was in sufficent fear for his life and person that the use of deadly force would have been justified.

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
I agree with ridemonkey. Your assumption is probably right, but if I had anything to carry I would carry it for protection against animals. I've only had 2 close encounters when I ride in Northern Maine. Once with a bear and one with a pack of coyotes.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the scenario in the above story happens to more folks than we realize.
cyclists and non-cyclists alike are at the mercy of predators.
the police are retroactive at best.

you have two choices in life.
you can use all the tools at your disposal to survive in what can be a dangerous world(whether you choose to belive it or not.)
or you can go right along and think that none of this can happen to you.(and the odds are it won't.)

95% of the time, i feel i operate in a safe environment.
5% of the time i don't.
i'm fully capable of taking care of myself AND my friends while we're operating in that zone.
it is real and it is out there.
and it is scary.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Jeremy R said:
When confronted, I like to pull out my carolina tan snake, and flop it around. As my attackers sit and weep, I roll it back up and make a clean getaway.

some of us aren't so lucky.
and some around here might see that as an invite.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Jeremy R said:
When confronted, I like to pull out my carolina tan snake, and flop it around. As my attackers sit and weep, I roll it back up and make a clean getaway.
I assume that this is simply a Carolina variant of the common trouser snake? I certainly hope that weeping is not the standard reaction you get upon producing the polska! :rofl:

Keyz

Chimp
Jul 3, 2006
Sammamish
It's hard for any of us to judge the necessity of one's need for firearms or knives while riding. We carry these tools for self defense. Whether it's riding through an urban area at night or racing through the dense mountain forests, we are subjected to encountering unforeseeable situations. Riders may not ever need knives or handguns. However, we should not rule out the need for additional protection. We arm ourselves in light of our understanding of the environment we ride in. People who ride with or without firearms have their own reasons and we should respect that. I have a Beretta, however I never carry. I would hate to throw out the idea, for the reason that I may one day wish I was carrying.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
llkoolkeg said:
It was awesome, indeed, and was again this past Sunday even with temps in the high 90s. After two shuttle runs, I was already self-medicating with Yuengling and, well, the ususal.

:)

Those ponds make for some fine swimmin' holes for a day like yesterday. I've taken a dip or two up there myself. Anthrax be damned.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Keyz said:
It's hard for any of us to judge the necessity of one's need for firearms or knives while riding. We carry these tools for self defense. Whether it's riding through an urban area at night or racing through the dense mountain forests, we are subjected to encountering unforeseeable situations. Riders may not ever need knives or handguns. However, we should not rule out the need for additional protection. We arm ourselves in light of our understanding of the environment we ride in. People who ride with or without firearms have their own reasons and we should respect that. I have a Beretta, however I never carry. I would hate to throw out the idea, for the reason that I may one day wish I was carrying.
proving that you don't have to have thousands of posts on this site, to have something to say that makes perfect sense.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
aggrorider said:
I agree with ridemonkey. Your assumption is probably right, but if I had anything to carry I would carry it for protection against animals. I've only had 2 close encounters when I ride in Northern Maine. Once with a bear and one with a pack of coyotes.

See someone agrees with me, animal not people protection when on the trail..... PERMITS.....Oh and the story.... thats the way i heard, i like the tag oyou put up better....still great either way

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Keyz said:

What he said!!!

I have encountered two Mtn lions when riding my local Mountains, and seen least a dozen black bears, so far never had a problem, but what happens that day them Mtn lions are really hungry, or one of those bears is a Pissed off Mama bear......Not like i carry My gunb when riding down at Southridge and stuff.... depends on the area

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
haha riding with weapons, well if you are a criminal rider thats ok other than that I think i can out run anything that is trying to get me

Ridemonkey said:
Maybe I'm just naive living in lil' old Canada, but are there a lot of mountain biker muggings on the US trails? The only protection we really need is bug repellent...or maybe I'm leaving my guard down.
Yeah - you are definitely living on the edge... lol

We have muggings on some sections of the city bike trail here, mostly near the college campus. I just stay off those sections.

On the other hand, my dad used to live way back in the sticks, near a state park, in Kentucky.....and the local meth lab was the next place down.

If you ride in places you're unfamiliar with, it may seem like you're just toodling through the heart of Amish country, and you could be trespassing on some seriously bad turf.......

This is no recommendation to ride either armed, or unarmed, just an observation.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
llkoolkeg said:
I assume that this is simply a Carolina variant of the common trouser snake? I certainly hope that weeping is not the standard reaction you get upon producing the polska! :rofl:
:teacher:

A guy walks into a tavern. There's a horse tending the bar, and on the counter behind the horse is a goldfish bowl full of 5 dollar bills.

The guy asks the man next to him, "What the hell is going on?"

The man says, "We have a contest going. You put a 5 dollar bill in the goldfish bowl, and if you make the horse laugh, you win all the money!"

The guy goes behind the bar, puts a 5 dollar bill in the goldfish bowl, whispers something to the horse, and the horse cracks up. The guy takes all the money out of the bowl and leaves the bar.

A few months later, he walks into the tavern again. The horse is still tending bar, but now the goldfish bowl is filled with 10 dolalr bills.

The guy asks, "Well, what's the contest now?"

The same man answers, "You have to make the horse cry!"

The guy goes behind the bar, puts a 10 dollar bill in the goldfish bowl, and leads the horse out the back door.

A few minutes later, they walk back in and the horse is in tears. The guy takes all the money out of the goldfish bowl, and just as he's walking out, everyone demands that he explain how he did it!

"The 1st time" he explains, "I told the horse I was hung better than he was. This time I showed it to him!"