Quantcast

As a favour to you:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I give you some advice. I just returned from Seattle yesterday. Tied up almost entirley with my wife's family stuff.

In my two year absence, I had forgotten about your (the collective you), near-clinical inability to operate motor vehicles effectively. So let me bestow some of my Quebec driving expertise upon you. And for those who didn't know, Quebec is renowned for being a more frightening driving experience for tourists than L.A.

1) Sit in the seat, hold onto the circle in front of you, push on the pedals.

2) Hey you! Yes you! In the pick-up truck doing 57 mph in the left lane! Move the FACK over!!

3) The clear wet liquid that falls from the sky, will not harm your vehicle. Nor will sporadically hammering on the brake help you out.

4) Hey you two! Yeah....the two of you glued door handle to door handle...doing 57 mph. Get a room already and the hell out of my way!!

5) and I've used this before.....You turn signal has no effect on my brakes. Just because you've indicated does not mean that you have room to change lanes......especially when you're tangling with a Quebecker who is 5'9", 150 lbs with a "small man" chip on his shoulder, driving a fully insured rental car.

6) An oldie but no less true: You are suposed to SPEED UP when merging into traffic. Coming to a stop, (with your indicator on) "waiting for room to pull in" ain't gonna work............especially when you're tangling with a Quebecker who is 5'9", 150 lbs with a "small man" chip on his shoulder, driving a fully insured rental car.

7) when on the freeway, DO NOT COME TO A STOP to let in a moron who does no know how to merge!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
haha I hear that man...but the bad drivers are everywhere, not just here!

Hell, I came back from whistler yesterday...we got stuck behind someone doing 25 on a 40 and braking EVERY corner...on a swervy road!!!!

ughh.

Jun 18, 2004
Try driving a right hand driver while buzzed around a 5 lane turnabout during rush hour in Paris!

or just go back to Quebec and shut the F*up...

theres some Seattle "courtesy" for yo dumb a$$... now get over yourself

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
Yeah the drives here suck with a capital SUCK......lived in NYC and the taxis had better driving skills and etiquette....hell even Connecticut has better drivers (trust me thats saying alot!)....plus....and I am saying this for all of us..."HEY HONEY HANG UP THE F'ing CELL PHONE!"

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
the problem with drivers in seattle is that they are to afraid to go over 30mph. and you all complain about the traffic up here at least it constantly moves at 20-30mph during rush hour in la it takes 2 hours to go 30 miles. and the traffic up here would go a lot faster if you all just remembered the gas pedal is on the right.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
damn i hate when drivers are in the left lane, doing just over the speed limit. I don't give a **** if you're doing 70 in a 65, maybe I want to do 95. If you see me in your rearview mirror riding your ass, move the **** over. NO, DONT ****ING SLOW DOWN WHEN I FLASH MY HIGH BEAMS AT YOU. MOVE YOUR PUSSY ASS OVER.

oh and by the way, you're in America now. It's spelled favor, not favour. See! Even spell check puts a little red mark under "favour".

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Oh yeah

8) If a State trooper has someone else pulled over already, YOU don't have to stop.

9) If you are travelleing north on I-5, and a state trooper heading south is speeding along with his lights on, you DON'T HAVE TO STOP!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
come back when it snows 1/2".

You forget I lived there for more than 6 years..........

(I can't believe I've been gone for more than 3)

And to be fair, damn it was nice to be back there for a while. I'll be honest, Seattle (the city itself) is not my favourite town. But for the outdoorsy stuff.....damn I miss it...despite the poor drivers. It is a beautiful part of the world.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Yeah the drives here suck with a capital SUCK......lived in NYC and the taxis had better driving skills and etiquette....hell even Connecticut has better drivers (trust me thats saying alot!)....plus....and I am saying this for all of us..."HEY HONEY HANG UP THE F'ing CELL PHONE!"
If I see another Blonde Bimbo on a cell phone in a VW Jetta. I'm going to shot her. (No offence to Bibs).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i wish seattle drivers knew the difference between low and high beams. :(

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
damn i hate when drivers are in the left lane, doing just over the speed limit. I don't give a **** if you're doing 70 in a 65, maybe I want to do 95.
I always figured if I'm already doing over and some schmo behinds me wants to go even faster that's his own problem to figure out how he's going to achieve that. YOU go around; then you can add dodging in and out of traffic to speeding and hopefully catch the attention of the constabulary :)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Ah....so YOU'RE the one.....

You actually are in the wrong you know....

I always figured if I'm already doing over and some schmo behinds me wants to go even faster that's his own problem to figure out how he's going to achieve that. YOU go around; then you can add dodging in and out of traffic to speeding and hopefully catch the attention of the constabulary :)

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Ah....so YOU'RE the one.....

You actually are in the wrong you know....
Not if I'm passing other people in the other two lanes so that it would be pointless to pull over just to accommodate someone violating worse than I am; or if I'm in the car pool lane already overtaking someone else.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
But when you are done passing, you should get out of the PASSING lane so that you yourself can be passed. I'm willing to wait for the guy ahead to wait for a spot to move over. But to drive in the left lane indefinitely is wrong.

Where you also aware that on a two lane hwy, if you have something like 5 cars stacked up behind you, you're supposed to move onto the shoulder to let them pass?

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Not if I'm passing other people in the other two lanes so that it would be pointless to pull over just to accommodate someone violating worse than I am; or if I'm in the car pool lane already overtaking someone else.
I'll pass you on the shoulder then. That'll give you a jolt.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
But when you are done passing, you should get out of the PASSING lane so that you yourself can be passed. I'm willing to wait for the guy ahead to wait for a spot to move over. But to drive in the left lane indefinitely is wrong.
I'm aware of all of that. YOU are aware that going 95 anywhere is illegal and usually dangerous, right?

Where you also aware that on a two lane hwy, if you have something like 5 cars stacked up behind you, you're supposed to move onto the shoulder to let them pass?
One of my pet peeves; I've commuted on a two-lane with few places to pass every day for nearly 30 years and I HATE getting behind bozos who are terrified of twisty roads and won't go at least the speed limit.

On the other hand, I've been a volunteer fireman for nearly 25 years, was an EMT for about 10 and have scraped more than my share of people off the pavement in that time; so I tend to try to lead by example and drive (more-or-less) legal and keep myself to (most of the time) only 5 over.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
It's against the law to drive in the left hand lane if you are not passing, regarless of the speed you are going.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
It's not up to you to police the freeways and keep people driving at the speed you want them to. If I get caught, it's my problem.

I'm aware of all of that. YOU are aware that going 95 anywhere is illegal and usually dangerous, right?

One of my pet peeves; I've commuted on a two-lane with few places to pass every day for nearly 30 years and I HATE getting behind bozos who are terrified of twisty roads and won't go at least the speed limit.

On the other hand, I've been a volunteer fireman for nearly 20 years, was an EMT for about 10 and have scraped more than my share of people off the pavement in that time; so I tend to try to lead by example and drive (more-or-less) legal and keep myself to (most of the time) only 5 over.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
:stupid:

What about the people that weave in and out of traffic while going over the speed limit but won't go into the HOV lane to pass anyone? As if speeding in the HOV lane is worse that speeding and weaving in the regular lanes.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
It's against the law to drive in the left hand lane if you are not passing, regarless of the speed you are going.
I know that - - as I stated above - - and I don't. But if I'm overtaking traffic myself I'm out in the left lane doing it. And if I'm overtaking a line of cars going slower than I am and I'm already doing 70+ in the 65 zone, I'm not going to dodge into an open space in the slower line of cars just because some hothead wants to continue at 85 unabated. Not my problem; not my responsibility.

MMike said:
It's not up to you to police the freeways and keep people driving at the speed you want them to. If I get caught, it's my problem.
Oh I don't. But I'm not going to go out of my way to placate the thoughtless driving of others either. And it's too bad "getting caught" is your only concern governing your driving habits.

Hmmm... I thought this was a mountain bike forum?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Seattle drivers are fine, it's just all these frikkin people who aren't from here, that screw it all up.

Yes it's twooooooooo00000000oooooo....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You should visit Salt Lake City Utah or even worse Provo/Orem if you think Seattle is bad.
amen. SLC is hell for many reasons, one of which is the drivers.

:busted:

(i'd still live there just for the skiing tho)

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
You know passing on the right is ILLEGAL you dork :huh: !!! Your the person that gets pissed when some is speeding in the fast lane you know the FAST lane they call it that for a reason. You also must be the person I LOVE looking in the eye as I pass and flip the good old number 1 to and then you act surprised as to why your getting the finger :twitch: bummer