Quantcast

Assualt and Battery (I am victim)...Legal Help!

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Transcend said:
I have been shooting for an awful long time as well, for starters. Long rifles, pistols, shotguns etc. People who think Canadians cannot own guns, are uninformed.

Shooting a weapon under controlled conditions, and then under stressful situations, under extreme pressure are 2 very, VERY different things.

If you think that anyone with a carry permit is as good as shot as your purportedly are, you are sadly mistaken. Maybe you are, maybe you got lucky, I don't know. What I do know is that 90% of people probably would not have been able to make that shot. More than likley, they would have put rounds through every tree, house, cars and neighbours in the vicinity until the clip ran dry and the slide locked open.

Police are more qualified than civilians with carry and conceals, and they routinely miss the target completely.

C'mon Fraser, challenge him to a duel :)

I love that Simpson's episode when Homer challenges everyone to a duel.

Heal up nsn and get a lawyer.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Mike B. said:
C'mon Fraser, challenge him to a duel :)

I love that Simpson's episode when Homer challenges everyone to a duel.

Heal up nsn and get a lawyer.
If I was even in a du3l, i would make sure to be able to choose the conditions (as was the tradition). Lincoln had to do it twice. Once was on an island in the middle of as river, in a 10ft deep pit, with broadswords. Another time he just chose "sledgehammers". Both times, the challenger declined to show up.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
BurlyShirley said:
I say find them, and beat the christ out of each of them individually. Laws be damned.
:stupid:

Thats my first reaction as I am not of the letigious nature.

But if they are apprehanded I would consult a lawyer,as oppose to
asking us bunch of monkies....

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I had a similar thing happen to me. Except it was closer to 6 or 7 on 1. We tried to do the right thing and deal with the cops and the court system. It came down to my word agains theres, nothing happened.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Slugman said:
Amateurs…

...., get their information from the police report
good luck.

I'm assuming that with the extent of your injuries that the police took a report. In NC we don't have to take a report for simple assault but when there are broken bones we are required to because the crime is now a felony and the victim cannot "press charges" on something that serious; it must come from the officer.
the problem you face here is that you said the guys ran when the police arrived. unless they got positive ID on the guys from someone at the bar and did a photo line-up....you're probably SOL. if your city is anywhere near as busy as mine then i seriously doubt that anything will come of it. police are bound by the burden of proof before we can make charges and in a case where the police did not see the assault happen they are relying primarily on witness accounts.

good luck to you but i wouldn't expect any criminal charges anytime soon. hopefully you can figure out who they were and give it to them in civil court.

Transcend: a little tidbit from a research paper i did this semester on gun control.
"...guns are used defensively about one million times per year. Ninety-eight percent of those times, not a single shot is fired, since the criminal runs away at the sight of the gun"

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
Consult a lawyer, there is no need to fvck them up because the pain of that will go away much faster then the pain of putting momy and dady in bankruptcy through a civil suit.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
manimal said:
Transcend: a little tidbit from a research paper i did this semester on gun control.
"...guns are used defensively about one million times per year. Ninety-eight percent of those times, not a single shot is fired, since the criminal runs away at the sight of the gun"
I believe it. It's the 2% i am worried about. This probably varies widely geographically as well. In south central LA or downtown NYC, I am pretty sure the criminal would probably just pull his piece without a second thought.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
There may be some witnesses, he should consult the people who work at the piza place and whatnot.

Having carried a pistol on and off for a while, I think they're overrated. My assesment at this point is that in most circumstances getting a clear shot without being likely to hit someone unintended would be hard to do. Manimal's point on deterrence by fear is interesting.

In Vermont you're also in considerable trouble from the git-go if you threateningly display or use a firearm in anything but the most dire of circumstances. The case described in this post would not qualify.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Transcend said:
I believe it. It's the 2% i am worried about. This probably varies widely geographically as well. In south central LA or downtown NYC, I am pretty sure the criminal would probably just pull his piece without a second thought.
I know you probably haven't made it out of Canada lately but Louisianna isn't that tough of a place, geez

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Mike B. said:
I know you probably haven't made it out of Canada lately but Louisianna isn't that tough of a place, geez
:rofl:

Last I heard, if you had a working fridge and no slime in your house, you were king of Louisianna. Oh, and they shoot at rescue workers.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
dhbuilder said:
that's the reason i have a carry permit and hollow points. and eyes in the back of my head.

we live in a time when you have to be able to fully take care of and defend yourselves and your loved ones. there's alot of punk@$$ed kids running around with no respect at all for those around them.
police are retroactive at best.and their workload is enormous in most cities.

as soon as i found myself surrounded and couldn't see my girlfriend or wife, that would have been it. game on.

i wish you luck in your desire for justice. and i hope you find out who did this to you.
and when you're in court, it's very easy for the jury to see who's telling the truth.
yeah, because america is such a dangerous place compared to everywhere else in the world... :rolleyes:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
BeerDemon said:
Yeah **** those mother ****ers they aint thugs like i am im a mother ****en gangsta that **** would never have happened to this street hardened mother ****er. Dont nobody be frontin.
chicodude said:
Kill them. Eye for a death certificate
:rofl: :rofl:

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Update: The kid that started this whole thing and was the first to jump on me when I was blindsided is sitting in jail (or just released). Either way he sat there all weekend and missed a final. (speaking of which, I should probably get on that now)

Anyway, after thinking about it, I do want the kid to pay for medical and whatnot, but really I'm fine. Sure, it sucks to be hazy during finals from getting hit in the head (I'm fine now) but still, I'm OKAY from this...and way more concerned about my knee (other thread)

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Apparently he must have admitted something or he wouldn't have been arrested. Taking civil action just goes against every bone in my body. I always call this kind of sh1t out....I feel like such a b1tch...but it wasn't like he "accidently" hit me 15 times.

Keep you all posted, thanks for the comments!