Quantcast

Atlantic tour

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
Just got back from a week of riding.

Day 1: Blue Mtn., Peekskill NY. really fun, found what seemed to be new trail, it was nice tight, tech., loamy single track.

Day 2: Elizabeth Furnace, Front royal, Va. I love this place and this ride, it has a bit of everything and ends with a nice 4 mile descent to the car.

Day 3: N. Mills River, Pisgah. Great day. Climbed Trace ridge, descended spencer Gap to Flethcer Branch, went back up Middle Fork, and came down Spencer Branch to lower Fletcher to lower Trace Ridge. Awesome place, Awesome day, almost ran over a rattler.

Day 4: Bent Creek, Pisgah. Pine loop warm up, then up lower side hill, to sidehill up to 5 corners. Rested. Descended Ingles Field Gap in a down pour. Wish we had more time to explore, but it seemed like Mills river was less travled and the trails were a bit more misty.

Day 5: Issaqueena Dam, Clemson Sc. This was special for me because this is where I got hooked on MTB. I thought that maybe I had built this place up in my memories as super sweet and was a little apprehensive, but with all the rain in N.C., we decided to head south and this was the perfect place. And it does, in fact, rip.

Day 6: Douthat State Park, Clifton Forge Va. This place sucked, no one should ever go there. There was no good single track. There were tons of people, and the camping area sucked too. This was not one of the sweetest descents I have ever ridden, and there was no super sick ridge line riding after crushing climbs with amazing views. I hope this place never changes. It's too bad the Lexington Va. area riders don't have any good spots close by. ;)

I am spent. The riding down there is epic, and I now want to move somewhere because the miles and miles of amazing single track is mind boggling. Top think of the little scraps of land we fight over for access in the N.E. depresses me. Southern Va. and N.C. offer too many miles of legal single track to even attempt a guess in milage. I can't wait to get back down to G.W. Natl. Forrest and Pisgah again. :heart: