Quantcast

Atlas external BB cranks.... worth the wait??

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Want to order a set for my trail bike, but they are at least another month out according to RF....(bike industry 1 mo = 2-3mo). I just ordered the frame and it should be here in a week. Im very impatient when it comes to getting a bike going so im really wondering what to do....I dont have a crank set, but could maybe get a loaner or use an old square taper set i still have, as long as the BB i also have works....My other option is traditional ISIS and a set of turbine LP's. My impatient side leans that way right now, but it was suggested i wait for the Atlas.... Also, it sounds like RF is moving away from ISIS and will only be doign the external stuff. At least the Turbines i was told are going away...... that only leaves the Northshores, except for the evolve series...that might stay ISIS for a while i guess, but on the high end it seems like ISIS is being phased out.

Anyone have any time on the external systems? Is it better? More durable? Too early to tell? The end of ISIS? Just a fad and marketing ploy??

D

B

bighitfsr

pretty much the same thing and price.

I'd take the shimanos over raceface anyway (hollow arms).
Race face used to have a stiffer stronger BB system (isis) now its the same outboard BB system.

I'm sure this allready occured to you.

Also the shimanos have been out for a while now so you should be able to find reviews online. The raceface atlas cranks being a brand new product might have issues and parts will probably be hard to get.

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
Originally posted by oly
Want to order a set for my trail bike, but they are at least another month out according to RF....(bike industry 1 mo = 2-3mo).
or use an old square taper set i still have, as long as the BB i also have works....
If you really want the Atlas, I'd run your old square cranks until the Atlas are available.

Even if you have to buy a UN73 BB to get the right size, they are only about $30US.

I'm hard on cranks & BBs. I just changed from a stripped Hussefelt to Diabolus on my Bullit. (I was on my 3rd Signature level BB.)

On my Blur I'm still using a set of square drive Turbines and a UN72 BB, they seem to work fine.

Edit: Just remembered I'm using square drive Turbines and a UN72 BB on my Hummer too.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
id just get 04 xt unless you think you are really going to abuse them. in my opinion, cranks, rings and cassettes are places where its just incredibly hard to beat shimano, so when shimano offers a product with the caracteristics iwant, i just stick with them.

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
Oly, if you are going to be jumping your new trail bike, square drive might not be a good idea if you want to be able to use the cranks on another bike after this one.

Isis came about as square drive cranks (stretched hole) and BBs (snap) couldn't take the abuse of repeated drops.

If you are going to keep it on the ground you'll be fine.

I wouldn't spend the $$$ to buy Isis, I've killed to many BBs. (I do ride in very wet conditions though.)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
thanks guys for the advise, but shimano isnt an option. i have a RF connection and plan to go one of the 2 ways i asked about. Atlas is the same essentially as the other outboard offerings. i was more curious i guess about the system as a whole... regardless of brand...

the square drive would only be to hold me over for the release of atlas. i have truvativ firex on a beater bike that ..... also, i wouldnT be jumping more than a few feet at best. i figure RF will fill real orders before EP orders, so who really knows how long it would take......thats wht the turbine are apealing...im very impatient, and want to start my build with nice parts.....

Acadian, im getting this.... (frame only)....
, i really want a 5 spot, but its a little much for my wallet right now......

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Wait for Atlas. I am. :D

Someone did mention that the RF bearings are bigger than the Big S's. They mount differently too.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
What's wrong with ISIS? I've been fine with it for the last year, I don't even have one of the newest updated, chi-chi, redesigned, uber sleek, noteworty, better than yours bottom brackets and still no problems for over a year. So the bearings supposedly wear out, big deal mine haven't in over a year, I was known to kill a square taper BB in about that time and I'm riding alot harder now than I was then. The spindles aren't as strong compared to tubular chromoly, but who really cares, if you need that much strength then you really need tubular chromoly. Maybe I just bought into the ISIS "fad" and I'm too onery to accept it, or maybe I just get a little goofy when people think the newest technology suddenly makes the current technology bad.

Sure a turbo charger would get me better gas mileage, but I drive a Saturn.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by vitox
well it seems the new style crank/bb`s are lighter for the same strength, thats always good when your shopping for components.
thats why i sold the north shore cranks with my bighit frame. I loved those things., but they are just to heavy for my XC bike and it made the sale of the frame easier.... I checked the FireX square tapers on my beater bike. They are in the same BB shell size, so I can use those as last resort when i get the new frame. THose things will be place holders only!! They flex just looking at them. Good enough for some lunch rides and a few longer weekend trips.... definatly no jumping though.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
After thinking a little more, i probably wont wait for 2 reasons:

1. I will have cash in hand for new cranks in a few days. If i dont jump ordering new cranks now, i might not be able to keep the cash from being spent.

2. New product. Ill wait a while to see how well the X types hold up for people. Ive never had an issue with ISIS.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Just buy some cranks you can have now and ride your bike and enjoy it. Some decisions just aren't worth belaboring.

Edit: It's so easy to say that about someone else's bike, eh?

MD

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by MikeD
Just buy some cranks you can have now and ride your bike and enjoy it. Some decisions just aren't worth belaboring.

Edit: It's so easy to say that about someone else's bike, eh?

MD

:angry: :D haha, true.