Quantcast

Atomlab Hubs?

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
does any one know anythng about atomlab aircorp hubs? any one use them? will they blow up like their pedals do?

THanks

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
I am no pro mechanic, but this is my rundown. I have run them with success on two bikes. They are ok, the bearings are easy to replace, and last a long time, (I only have had to replace one set of bearings on the rear hub once)

The rear hubs have very few engagement points compared to high end hubs, heck, less than shimano hubs.

Atomlab has Crappy customer service, and yes that is Crappy with a CAPITAL C!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Based on the beautiful customer service stories that have been told and re-told in this and other forums, I would avoid all Atom Lab products like the plague.

Is it really worth it if they decide to blow up in 3 weeks - even if they're usually reliable?

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
I broke the axle on my aircorp hub about 14 months ago and I still haven't heard word from Atomlab. I'm not bashing Atomlab in any way; just telling you that their stuff has the tendency to break and that their company has the tendency to have below-par customer service.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
The freehub on my rear Aircorp hub decided to completely seize after only about 3 months of use, and it took about 6 months to get a replacement from Atomlab. However, my Aircorp front hub has been problem-free and running smoothly for about a year now. I can say, however, that once my front hub dies, I will never own another piece of Atomlab equipment again. Their stuff is generally unreliable and their customer service is non-existent.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
this makes me sad....

the built wheelset was cheaper than Aircorps rims and hope hubs, with out spokes or a build. does any one know if BTI has some deal where if you buy all the wheel parts, will they build the wheel for free or for a deal?

thanks for the info guys

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
This probably won't help you but I got an Atomlab from 20mm hub. So far so good, still works really well after riding through crap and neglecting it. Then again, who can screw up a 20mm hub??? Even the Formula 20mm hubs work ok. Shimano are always the best, cheaper choice.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
monkeyboy424 said:
does any one know if BTI has some deal where if you buy all the wheel parts, will they build the wheel for free or for a deal?
I'm pretty sure BTI doesn't do anything like that, but QBP definitely has a custom wheel build program. If your shop has a BTI account, they'll definitely have a QBP account. On second thought, however, I don't think QBP carries Atomlab anymore. I can't really blame them though. My advice: avoid Atomlab. If you're looking for a good cheap wheelset, get some Sun Singletrack rims on Shimano XT disc hubs. Or you could buy the Sun Singletrack wheelset that BTI sells (comes with Ringle hubs, which are pretty darn nice).

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
im not really looking for cheap, more like tough, but relatively light. i dont really want singletracks, i hear a lot of horror stories about them here, mostly from people riding street, which, is like my favorite thing to do. i guess those rims just cant handle 180s or something? i also saw that Sun is realeasing a New rim this year called the MTX (least i think it is new). it is supposed to be as light or not too much heavier that a single track, but it has the width of a mag 30.

all i really want is a rim that wont make my spokes pop lose every time i jump off a curb. so basically, i just dont want to get more diitchwhitchs...

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
*EVEN* if atomlabs hubs DIDN"T blow up would u wana deal with a company with such crappy customer service? I mean eventually u will need to service it.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
ok so i have decided to just save some cash and build a wheel set, so ill do more reaserch while im saving my pennies. thanks for helping me guys.